• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Stradivarius GOOD Serial Numbers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpaholic wrote:
I have a killer Bach Strad 66,XXX which I am selling as I need a M bore horn. This Bach is very open with superb valves and compression. Original lacquer is very good! Listed here on the Herald.
Since you like your current horn, Consider getting a M bore tuning slide from M/K drawing. I prefer the semi round version.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
rockford wrote:
....Selmer bought the company and settled in on standard models returned to the longer, original length leadpipe. .020 (lightweight by today’s standard) was the standard bell thickness. 26,7xx-29,999 don’t exist. Somewhere around 100,000 the standard bell thickness was increased to .023 (approx.) .020 was then considered lightweight. ....

That is very interesting. So a modern Lightweight is more true to the 1960's Bachs that everyone thinks are so special.

I wonder if they made the 190-37 Anniversary trumpet .20 gauge. If so, they have not advertised it at all.
That’s correct. A current ML 37 with standard tubing and a lightweight bell would be similar to the last Mt. Vernon and early Elkhart instruments. The current Chicago c’s are set up like that.
trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bell on my 71 is certainly lighter than the 79 I just sold recently. I have 4 ML horns I am selling, I don't think a M/K slide would work for that application.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the worst-made Bachs I've seen and played date from the end of WWII. Roughly 6000-8000+ That doesn't mean there aren't players in that range, just that one should be careful w/buying a Bach from that period. I rebuilt one that was 66XX. It played well - after I fixed all the factory errors.
https://yourbrass.com/
steevo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my sure-fire method for finding good serial number Bach trumpets.

1. Find a Bach trumpet.
2. Play it.
3. If you like the way it plays, write the serial number down.
4. Look at the serial number you just wrote down - it's a good one!

Repeat steps 1-3 for every Bach you find.

Note that not all of the numbers you write down will match others entries doing the same thing.
Ozzbo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bach 25 LRS with a S/N 516xxx from 2000 or so that is the best Bach I've ever played !!! It's so good that it almost plays like a Benge !!!
Nausiiik

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamahaguy wrote:
Croquethed wrote:
Complete coincidence, I'm sure, but Mr. "Yep-OK" has a Bach for sale after six scintillating posts.
Umm...YEA!

"Very nice condition Vincent Bach 239L with 25A leadpipe"

Sorry for my posts, but I really needed to make an account and offer some stuff and this was probably not the best way but it worked. By the way the trumpet is sold and it was great horn. So if you think I am maybe some scamer or whatever, NO! I am normal trumpet player And if you read all of the posts it was not only those bullshits what I posted over here
thecoast
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@OldSchoolEuph (I know this post is a few years old).
Great historical discussion. Especially because I’m looking for a used Strad 37. Do you have any info on 500000 serial numbers? Haven’t seen anything on internet other than its mention in this thread.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzbo wrote:
I have a Bach 25 LRS with a S/N 516xxx from 2000 or so that is the best Bach I've ever played !!! It's so good that it almost plays like a Benge !!!

!

Life is Short! Find the Joy in it!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecoast wrote:
@OldSchoolEuph (I know this post is a few years old).
Great historical discussion. Especially because I’m looking for a used Strad 37. Do you have any info on 500000 serial numbers? Haven’t seen anything on internet other than its mention in this thread.

A stock 180ML37 of that range (end of the 90s/early 2000s) is pretty much the same instrument as those built 100K on either side. However, it is from a time when customer complaints were at a fairly high level, reaching their peak just as serials reached the 600K mark. That doesn't mean anything about an individual horn however - as evidenced by the post just above.

In general: these will be the most widely available form of the Bach Strad. Not the heaviest of the 180s (those were Early Elkhart), but solid, relatively thick-bell, power-projecting but warm and full in tone, tight-centering, fairly "resistive", and with the same valves action we have seen for 60 years.

If the horn shows some wear, then it's been played - and bad horns typically don't get played. If it is brand new, be suspicious. This is true for any horn of any brand built at any time.

In the end, there are no "sure bet"s. Not only can any horn be exceptional or have defects/damage to contend with, but there is also the issue of how does it fit you as a player. What is a perfect fit for one person, may be a terrible fit for another. You have to try them out and see.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
thecoast
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If the horn shows some wear, then it's been played - and bad horns typically don't get played. If it is brand new, be suspicious. This is true for any horn of any brand built at any time.

Hm. That makes sense. Unless the previous owner was not a pro and didn't give the horn hours of use a day ever day. In other words, a non-pro like me. But certainly worth keeping in mind when inquiring about how the owner used it. Thank you for your insight.

---Lu
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecoast wrote:
Quote:

Hm. That makes sense. Unless the previous owner was not a pro and didn't give the horn hours of use a day ever day. In other words, a non-pro like me. But certainly worth keeping in mind when inquiring about how the owner used it. Thank you for your insight.

---Lu

Agreed. Considering that bachs are sold to players across the spectrum, novices to pros, it might end up that a pristine horn spent most of its time abandoned in a closet by a disillusioned novice.

But, I agree that if the horn is pristine then consider both possibilities.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a possibility that an old Bach in pristine condition is a dog, because it was never played. It could also be that it was bought for somebody who never played it. Now consider the converse. A used Bach with 300,000 miles. It must have been a great horn if it was used so much, right? Maybe. Maybe it was a good horn, but with all of the mileage, it isn't so good any more. Who knows? The rule is, that there aren't any rules. Play the horn, preferibly for a while, and then decide if it is a good horn or not.
enviroman22

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a 239 166xxx purchased from it's original owner manufactured in 1981. Plays so smooth. I have a 239 serial number 47xxx that prompted me to buy this one. It's a dandy, easier for me to hear" & feel the notes in C than my older 1960's 239. But my 47xxx has a tad more "ring". Both very very nice.
1965 Cleveland / King Craftsmen Bb cornet
1965 Olds Ambassador Bb
1967 Olds Ambassador Bb cornet
1968 Bach Strad Bb Model 37
1969 Bach Strad C
1974 & 1981 Schilke MII Bb
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enviroman22 wrote:
Just bought a 239 166xxx purchased from it's original owner manufactured in 1981. Plays so smooth. I have a 239 serial number 47xxx that prompted me to buy this one. It's a dandy, easier for me to hear" & feel the notes in C than my older 1960's 239. But my 47xxx has a tad more "ring". Both very very nice.

That horn is a bit older.

According to Bach Brass

https://www.bachbrass.com/resources/serial-numbers

your horn was produced between 1975 and 1980.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
enviroman22 wrote:

According to Bach Brass

Likely to be 1979 - but you also have to remember that some horns sat in inventory for years back in those days, so a 1981 original purchase would not be that surprising.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Tpt_Guy wrote:
enviroman22 wrote:

According to Bach Brass

Likely to be 1979 - but you also have to remember that some horns sat in inventory for years back in those days, so a 1981 original purchase would not be that surprising.

I wouldn't doubt that it could have sat in inventory, however enviroman22 said the horn was manufactured in 1981, which according to bachbrass.com is not the case.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steevo wrote:
Here is my sure-fire method for finding good serial number Bach trumpets.

1. Find a Bach trumpet.
2. Play it.
3. If you like the way it plays, write the serial number down.
4. Look at the serial number you just wrote down - it's a good one!

Repeat steps 1-3 for every Bach you find.

Note that not all of the numbers you write down will match others entries doing the same thing.

A variation on my college trumpet teacher's advice:

1. Select a trumpet candidate (ignore brand and well meaning advice from colleagues).
2. Play it a for a few hours (days if possible).
3. If it works for you, keep it, if not, begin your search again.

Life is Short, find the Joy in it!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Basmundi66

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a bach Stradivarius flugelhorn from around the 1980's with a serial number 217###
It is silver plate . Bottom valve sprung . Somebody told me they are pretty rare in silver plate. What I am asking is . Where can I find Bach Stradivarius flugelhorn serial numbers . They are so hard to find online . It's like the Bach trumpet and cornet is on and the trombone but nothing for the flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: