• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Vizzutti vs Yamaha 14a4a

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:24 am    Post subject: Yamaha Vizzutti vs Yamaha 14a4a Reply with quote

How does the yamaha Vizzutti compare to the **Yamaha** 14a4a?

(Most of the threads are talking about the schilke 14a4a which is apparently different)

If I'm reading the info on the yamaha website right:

The YAMAHA 14a4a is deeper (than the yamaha Vizzutti), has a larger throat and larger backbore?

(The 'a' backbore is described as 'Narrow' and the Vizzutti backbore is described as being 'Very Narrow')

Can anyone else confirm if all this sound right?

I'm basically looking for a slightly deeper option than the yamaha Vizzutti, without going custom.

I can get a big, full sound on the vizzutti despite the shallowness, and like the resistance, but it starts to shut down on me upstairs if the mouthpiece is on my face too long.
gord-o
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both pieces and have used the Yamaha Vizzutti for years for lead playing. What you wrote about them sounds right to me. For me the resistance of the Yamaha 14A4a is not right and the Yamaha Vizzutti is a too tight, so I had a Vizzutti top threaded for backbores and found that a Pickett 10-3 is a good match for me. Many mouthpiece makers can slightly deepen the cup of your Vizzutti piece if you want. Frost Custom Brass did the work on mine.
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Allen was at Eastman in the early '70's, he did ALL his work (Lead, Jazz, Symphonic, Solo) on a Schilke 14A4-can you dig that? He said he just had to watch how he used his air and never really had any problems-on Woody's band, he had Bob Giardinelli make a copy of the 14A4 which he really liked. Then in 1978, he was at the old Schilke shop and picked up a piece Mr. Schilke had made for Doc Severinsen to come and "try" but never did so Allen got it.

It was gold-plated with an inner diameter close but just slightly smaller than the 14A4a but the rim was more rounded and the cup more bowl in shape with a #28 throat-he later had Joe Marcinkiewicz & Yamaha make variations on the Schilke piece-he now uses something Pete Pickett made
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chase1973 wrote:
When Allen was at Eastman in the early '70's, he did ALL his work (Lead, Jazz, Symphonic, Solo) on a Schilke 14A4-can you dig that? He said he just had to watch how he used his air and never really had any problems-on Woody's band, he had Bob Giardinelli make a copy of the 14A4 which he really liked. Then in 1978, he was at the old Schilke shop and picked up a piece Mr. Schilke had made for Doc Severinsen to come and "try" but never did so Allen got it.

It was gold-plated with an inner diameter close but just slightly smaller than the 14A4a but the rim was more rounded and the cup more bowl in shape with a #28 throat-he later had Joe Marcinkiewicz & Yamaha make variations on the Schilke piece-he now uses something Pete Pickett made

Interesting, the story I heard was that Vizzutti wanted to try something slightly smaller than 14 so he intended to order a schilke 13A4A but accidentally ordered the 13A4 but he really liked the more open backbore. So that became his piece.
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Allen was at Eastman he ordered an early prototype of the 14A4a and Schilke sent it but with a standard backbore (14A4C)-years later, he switched to a gold-plated Schilke piece I was told that was initially made for Doc to come in and try but Doc never made it to the shop so Allen had dibs. It had a ID just slightly smaller than the 14A4a but not as small as the 13A4a (which isn’t that small at .660) the rim was semi-flat with a shallow bowl cup and a 28 throat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: