• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Hooten vs. Hagstrom Backbore Size

View previous topic :: View next topic  
acompton

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Yamaha Hooten vs. Hagstrom Backbore Size Reply with quote

Can anyone speak to any differences in backbore between the Hooten and Hagstrom Yamaha mouthpieces? (If there are any, that is.)

I have a Yamaha Custom 16C4-GP and a Yamaha Hagstrom and from what I can tell the bore is larger on the Hagstrom. Wondering how the Hooten might relate to the two.

(Also, is Yamaha is no longer making the Hagstrom? I haven't been able to find it on the Yamaha site anywhere these days.)

Thanks!

Andrew Compton
Saint John, IN
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For starters search for - Haggstrom mouthpiece and Trumpetherald and you will find several discussions on the mouthpiece. The throat was changed and the backbore changed so it's hard to say which version you might have but , yeah, it looks like the Yamaha C backbore may be larger than the Haggstrom which I think is classed as a "small" 24 style.

Look up "Jon Talks Trumpet" on YouTube - several nice videos on the Haggstrom and the Hooten mouthpieces.

Then go to
https://trumpet.cloud/mpc
and at the bottom of the mouthpiece comparisons you will find the Yamaha 16c4, Hooten and the Haggstrom mouthpieces.

Last go to https://www.vennture.mp/ download and learn how to use VennCad where you can get actual numbers to compare all of these mouthpieces along with the scans.

You are correct - Haggstrom does not show up in the Signature list for mouthpieces but he gets a brief mention for the Chicago trumpets.
acompton

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info--very helpful!
Jon Kaplan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the shout-out, Andy!

So, reviewing each of these pieces in VennCAD, here is the relationship between the 16C4, Hooten, and Hagstrom.

The 16C4 has a Yamaha C backbore like mentioned, which is the smallest volume of the three and is most similar to a Bach 10 backbore (the stock backbore on a Bach C cup mouthpiece).

The Hooten is very similar to the Yamaha C overall, but is a bit wider 3/4 of the way down, making it just slightly more volume than the standard Yamaha C backbore.

The Hagstrom is easily the biggest of the three, with a larger overall volume. It is a little smaller than a full Bach 24 backbore, but is very comparable to the popular Parke Orchestral or Osmun 24 style backbores.

And, yes, go download VennCAD if you're interested in stuff like this because the comparisons are stunning and very easy to see when comparing scans. Almost hard to imagine comparing them any other way.
acompton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jon--really appreciate you chiming in on this. I've been binge watching all your mouthpiece videos over the last couple weeks and that has really gotten me eager to explore the different options out there. That's what led me to purchase my Hagstrom.

I'm sure you're a busy man, but feel free to make more videos as time allows! Very informative and enjoyable! (Even my non-trumpet playing kids enjoy watching them!)

All Best!

ac
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: