• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette Unity Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trptguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Ordered my B4-7 yesterday. Looking forward to receiving it.
www.balabrass.org
XO Artist
DeanLevy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never played before and picked up a 1947 Olds Super Recording from Austin Custom Brass and a Unity B6 and sold my piano. Hopefully this will be a good combo.

I will be making a video series of me learning from 0 to (hopefully) slightly more than 0 on this setup if anyone is interested.

I will be learning Caravan.
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeanLevy wrote:
I've never played before and picked up a 1947 Olds Super Recording from Austin Custom Brass and a Unity B6 and sold my piano. Hopefully this will be a good combo.

I will be making a video series of me learning from 0 to (hopefully) slightly more than 0 on this setup if anyone is interested.

That’s too cool!

Start a new thread here on TH so we can follow your progress.

As for starting with your super cool vintage horn and state of the art mouthpiece, this all sounds like a great place to start. Your musical background and ears will be of tremendous help in getting from beginning technique to making music. Be sure also to sing as much as you can - getting that breath control for long lines with as much compelling dynamic shapes as you can hear in your head - let your musical ideas lead your technical development. Finally, read through Monette’s notes on body use: you’re sure to encounter many images of trumpeters conveying the physical demands of playing, but don’t make your job more difficult than it needs to be - the more lined-up and resonant you make your body, the more you’ll get out of that mouthpiece and horn!

Happy practicing,
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently picked up a Unity DM-L to compliment my Prana Resonance B4LD and B4S3. I can't believe how good it sounds for such a shallow piece. It's also incredibly balanced in just about every measurable way. Super comfortable on the lips.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the old days you had to practice, practise and more practise for a good sound. Things changed, now you throw a lousy few hundred dollars in de alms box of Monette/AR/Lotus and you'll have it.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeanLevy wrote:
I've never played before and picked up a 1947 Olds Super Recording from Austin Custom Brass and a Unity B6 and sold my piano.

It's more original vintage to start that on a valve trombone (in C).
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
In the old days you had to practice, practise and more practise for a good sound. Things changed, now you throw a lousy few hundred dollars in de alms box of Monette/AR/Lotus and you'll have it.

Nah, man, it's not like dropping a needle on a record. We're still responsible for the quality of our music. But, you know that and you're just trolling. You can hate on whatever gear you want but I'm the one living my experience and I'll play what works for me. You'd be an idiot not to play the best gear you can afford. If you can afford a Ferrari, why would you drive a Yugo? Dumb.
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
I just recently picked up a Unity DM-L to compliment my Prana Resonance B4LD and B4S3. I can't believe how good it sounds for such a shallow piece. It's also incredibly balanced in just about every measurable way. Super comfortable on the lips.

I’m hoping to arrange a trip to the shop this fall to check out both version of the “Dave” lead piece. I’ve written on this elsewhere in this thread, but with the amazing options of the Unity Lightweight B1-1L and Unity Extra-lightweight B4L, this “Dave” mouthpiece is in a similar size range that I’ve been using for my lead and commercial playing and may be the happy medium of rim contours. Both the Unity B1-1L and Unity B4L are rather shallow, though I’m curious how they relate to the very shallow “DM-L” and the somewhat less-shallow-but-still-lead “DM-LD.”

Where were you coming from, mouthpiece-wise" for these musical applications before landing on the “Dave” size?

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Trptguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So received my Unity B4-7 today. Initial impressions are good, definitely projects very well. I am coming from a 2.5 classic and I have to say I am not convinced on the -7 rim. I actually feel like I lose endurance on this.

I wonder about whether I am just built to play the older mouthpieces. Maybe a Resonance is more my speed.

I will need to give this a couple of days.......
www.balabrass.org
XO Artist
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
delano wrote:

Nah, man, it's not like dropping a needle on a record. We're still responsible for the quality of our music. But, you know that and you're just trolling. You can hate on whatever gear you want but I'm the one living my experience and I'll play what works for me. You'd be an idiot not to play the best gear you can afford. If you can afford a Ferrari, why would you drive a Yugo? Dumb.

It's easy to call any critic trolling, in fact some kind of lousy ad hominem argument but you seem to be quite sure.
So some questions:
Where did you get the notion that your M mp's are the best gear?
Your "afford" argument suggests that you really believe that the most expensive and most pimped mouthpiece is the best. Yes, that is really smart.

And you have no way a Ferrari, it's just a clump of metal dressed up with a gold finish and indeed for a Ferrari price but there stops the comparison. BTW I can imagine more reasons against driving a Ferrari than for it, easily.
In fact you must be an idiot to drive a Ferrari.

And, I am experienced on this forum, every high schooler here 'plays what works', it's just a saying if someone runs out of arguments.

Another quote from that nice article from Ron Miles, CT and others

Ron Miles: I have like a closet full of mouthpieces. I must have like 50 mouthpieces that I’ve played at one time or another, and what’s really freakish is that they’re all about the same size. They’re just slightly different, where you’re looking for that little bit of edge to get something going. Whereas nowadays, I’ll just pick up my horn and play it and I don’t even think about mouthpieces. Because there’s no point in thinking about it. And it makes me realize how much time I wasted in my youth looking for the magic mouthpiece, and realizing that the problem wasn’t the mouthpiece-the problem was me.

Maybe I am a little harsh to you but I got a little fed up with all that mouthpiece small talk.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="delano"][quote="kevin_soda"]
delano wrote:

Ron Miles: I have like a closet full of mouthpieces. I must have like 50 mouthpieces that I’ve played at one time or another, and what’s really freakish is that they’re all about the same size. They’re just slightly different, where you’re looking for that little bit of edge to get something going. Whereas nowadays, I’ll just pick up my horn and play it and I don’t even think about mouthpieces. Because there’s no point in thinking about it. And it makes me realize how much time I wasted in my youth looking for the magic mouthpiece, and realizing that the problem wasn’t the mouthpiece-the problem was me.

Maybe I am a little harsh to you but I got a little fed up with all that mouthpiece small talk.

Not to interpose, but Ron Miles played a custom Monette cornet, the "Cornette," that was so off the wall in its design that it required a unique mouthpiece shank, obviously exclusive to Monette. He did not play a Bach 184 or Yammie Xeno or Olds Super or Conn 80A, and he didn't use a Bach 3B or Yammie 14F4 or whatever on them. He played a bespoke and very expensive getup. https://www.monette.net/single-post/2016/03/31/birth-of-a-new-designthe-new-monette-cornette
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So? I am not plain against Monette equipment. I can understand why Wynton Marsalis, Art Farmer, Terence Blanchard and others play that stuff. Monette made indeed a certain new sound possible. IMO not always good, Art Farmer played some very good stuff on the flumpet but also some very unsecure soft ballad stuff. My personal opinion is that a solist trumpet player needs a projecting and certainly convincing sound and Dave M. makes that sure possible with his horns.
So if you know what you are looking for in sound and power, maybe Monette is for some the right way to go. But I have serious doubts whether a lot of posters here in the Monette/AR/Lotus threads (17 pages!) and their holy grail stories are in that same boat. And whether they understand that those mouthpiece stuff is certainly not for everybody and that it is no way good for everybody.
In the end it's pro equipment with very big throats and backbores so not necessarily easy to play for everyone.
I simply didn't dig kevin's argumentation. And Ron Miles statement is still valid, if his mouthpiece does not bother him, it can also be a Monette if that is necessary for the horn.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
And whether they understand that those mouthpiece stuff is certainly not for everybody and that it is no way good for everybody.

Or, maybe in 50 years everyone will be playing on that style of mouthpiece. ACB is the latest place making them, it is getting more mainstream. Is Bach next?

It took over 50 years for valves to be universally adopted -- there has always been a conservative attitude on adopting new technologies for the trumpet.
Trptguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so back to regular programming....

I have been on the mouthpiece for several hours and had a few different people listen. Interestingly they all picked the new Unity over the Classic.

However for me I still feel fairly insecure and not as confident in my capabilities. How long did it take some of you other monette players when moving from an older style to the new Unity pieces?
www.balabrass.org
XO Artist
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
So? I am not plain against Monette equipment. I can understand why Wynton Marsalis, Art Farmer, Terence Blanchard and others play that stuff. Monette made indeed a certain new sound possible. IMO not always good, Art Farmer played some very good stuff on the flumpet but also some very unsecure soft ballad stuff. My personal opinion is that a solist trumpet player needs a projecting and certainly convincing sound and Dave M. makes that sure possible with his horns.
So if you know what you are looking for in sound and power, maybe Monette is for some the right way to go. But I have serious doubts whether a lot of posters here in the Monette/AR/Lotus threads (17 pages!) and their holy grail stories are in that same boat. And whether they understand that those mouthpiece stuff is certainly not for everybody and that it is no way good for everybody.
In the end it's pro equipment with very big throats and backbores so not necessarily easy to play for everyone.
I simply didn't dig kevin's argumentation. And Ron Miles statement is still valid, if his mouthpiece does not bother him, it can also be a Monette if that is necessary for the horn.

Congratulations, Keyboard Warrior Trumpet Genius Expert! You've convinced us all that gear doesn't matter and that we're stupid for wasting money on things that we like. Good work! You've singlehandedly saved the internet! I'm going to sell my trumpet and go buy whatever is cheapest from Amazon! I'm sure it comes with a mouthpiece and that's all I need! I'm so glad that you're so tired of all the mouthpiece talk that you came to a forum dedicated to the discussion just to share all your wisdom. We would be lost without you! (Endless applause!)
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danbassin wrote:
kevin_soda wrote:

I’m hoping to arrange a trip to the shop this fall to check out both version of the “Dave” lead piece. I’ve written on this elsewhere in this thread, but with the amazing options of the Unity Lightweight B1-1L and Unity Extra-lightweight B4L, this “Dave” mouthpiece is in a similar size range that I’ve been using for my lead and commercial playing and may be the happy medium of rim contours. Both the Unity B1-1L and Unity B4L are rather shallow, though I’m curious how they relate to the very shallow “DM-L” and the somewhat less-shallow-but-still-lead “DM-LD.”

Where were you coming from, mouthpiece-wise" for these musical applications before landing on the “Dave” size?

-DB

I wouldn't have bought the DM-L if I had already owned a version of the B4L. I had a conversation with BJ about lead pieces because I don't own anything that is specifically designed for that type of playing. Since I own a Prana Resonance B4S3 and B4LD, I was interested in that relative size. They have quite a few options and I was fascinated by the DM-L. I really like it.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trptguy wrote:

I have been on the mouthpiece for several hours and had a few different people listen. Interestingly they all picked the new Unity over the Classic.

However for me I still feel fairly insecure and not as confident in my capabilities. How long did it take some of you other monette players when moving from an older style to the new Unity pieces?
Unity felt better for me right away, compared to Lotus, AR, and Monette classic non-Prana. I have very little experience with Prana. The Unity felt very focused and I liked the sound better immediately. Over 6 months later, if I pop in any another mouthpiece, it doesn't feel right.

BTW I'm not saying it's a better piece or a holy grail, I'm just describing my experience, for folks like Delano that want to chime in.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trptguy wrote:

When I switched from Classic to Prana, I liked the sound so much that the acclimation was almost instant. When I bought the Unity, I had to back off so it's been a harder adjustment but I think that's more the change in size/cup. Your experience is important but, if people say one sounds better, perhaps you can get used to it?
DeanLevy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
kevin_soda wrote:
delano wrote:

It's easy to call any critic trolling, in fact some kind of lousy ad hominem argument but you seem to be quite sure.
So some questions:
Where did you get the notion that your M mp's are the best gear?
Your "afford" argument suggests that you really believe that the most expensive and most pimped mouthpiece is the best. Yes, that is really smart.

And you have no way a Ferrari, it's just a clump of metal dressed up with a gold finish and indeed for a Ferrari price but there stops the comparison. BTW I can imagine more reasons against driving a Ferrari than for it, easily.

And, I am experienced on this forum, every high schooler here 'plays what works', it's just a saying if someone runs out of arguments.

Yet your closet full of mouthpieces has somehow not yielded an album. Do you have something worth listening to or do you just talk? Why not cut a Monette mouthpiece in half and a couple of yours, and do some sort of analysis?

This "tough love" ballad you do is sad and worthless.

delano wrote:
the problem wasn’t the mouthpiece-the problem was me.

We know.

delano wrote:
BTW I can imagine more reasons against driving a Ferrari than for it, easily.

Which model? Have you driven or raced one before?
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:

Congratulations, Keyboard Warrior Trumpet Genius Expert! You've convinced us all that gear doesn't matter and that we're stupid for wasting money on things that we like. Good work! You've singlehandedly saved the internet! I'm going to sell my trumpet and go buy whatever is cheapest from Amazon! I'm sure it comes with a mouthpiece and that's all I need! I'm so glad that you're so tired of all the mouthpiece talk that you came to a forum dedicated to the discussion just to share all your wisdom. We would be lost without you! (Endless applause!)

Why are you going into the 'we' modus? Who is 'we' and 'us'?
Most of the time that happens when people no longer are able to stand on their own feet.
In Holland only the King is 'we'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: