• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette Unity Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeanLevy wrote:

Yet your closet full of mouthpieces has somehow not yielded an album. Do you have something worth listening to or do you just talk? Why not cut a Monette mouthpiece in half and a couple of yours, and do some sort of analysis?

This "tough love" ballad you do is sad and worthless.

delano wrote:
the problem wasn’t the mouthpiece-the problem was me.

We know.

delano wrote:
BTW I can imagine more reasons against driving a Ferrari than for it, easily.
In fact you must be an idiot to drive a Ferrari.

Which model? Have you driven or raced one before?

Nice post to set on music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uQO0MAjdgE&ab_channel=dapoopta

Only 3 posts so I will not blame you but for the next time, there is a difference between what someone is posting and a quote in a post.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMrtn wrote:

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Trptguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:

When I switched from Classic to Prana, I liked the sound so much that the acclimation was almost instant. When I bought the Unity, I had to back off so it's been a harder adjustment but I think that's more the change in size/cup. Your experience is important but, if people say one sounds better, perhaps you can get used to it?

So I am now wondering if it is this new -7 rim that is not working for me and if I should have just gotten the Unit B4S. Since my initial impressions were very positive . On Monday hopefully can chat with BJ about it..........
www.balabrass.org
XO Artist
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trptguy wrote:
Ok so back to regular programming....

Indeed. It may be good to consider that noone here need to justify their choices or preferences to anyone. Not every thread on a certain subject needs to be hijacked for personal soapboxes.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
Trptguy wrote:

Indeed. It may be good to consider that noone here need to justify their choices or preferences to anyone. Not every thread on a certain subject needs to be hijacked for personal soapboxes.

So this is your first post in this thread. Ten pages, numerous topics, 184 posts and this is really the only thing you have to say about this subject?
Trptguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So out of curiosity has anyone compared the -7 rim against the regular stock rim?
www.balabrass.org
XO Artist
DeanLevy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
stuartissimo wrote:
Trptguy wrote:

So this is your first post in this thread. Ten pages, numerous topics, 184 posts and this is really the only thing you have to say about this subject?

Do you have an album yet
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s certainly not lost on me that one of the most polarizing trumpet brands ever is choosing the name “Unity” for a mouthpiece line!

What’s next? The Cleveland Orchestra trumpet section all using C trumpets?

DB
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy. Now I feel like a fool for playing a Bach 3C.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not an intellectual thing, it's religion, you are not a fool, you are a pagan.

Last edited by delano on Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to now this has been a very busy thread, very interesting for the ways a discussion can take, even more interesting is the interaction.
For new readers of this thread I made a summary of its content.

It starts with this:

Just announced!

https://www.monette.net/unity-mouth

The first topic was the price, quite a lot of hot stuff from too expensive to price is fine to who cares.
-no real conclusion, no winner
-nicest original quote: some people like things that cost more

Interaction: first hijack attempt: only discussion about the playing of the moutpieces
second attempt: only posts from people who actually played the mp.

One IMO very to the point reaction on this:

Haha @ all the wannabe moderator comments. You are so aloof from this discussion that you desperately want us all to know! The discussion is civil but goes a way you don't like, so you want to shut it down? As if this will or has to be the one and only thread on this topic.

The topic of cost is pertinent to discussion of a product with relation to its value - i.e. are you getting what you paid for? The reason this is brought up repeatedly with Monette is that it seems to be the most expensive gear (though some others like GR have gotten up there in recent years).

Disclaimer: this all is about the interaction, not about the rightness of the price itself.

Second topic: what's new? What is the innovation and what could our well informed members here contribute to the understanding why these mouthpieces are new/exceptional?
This is a summary of all the info I could gather in this thread.

-first Monette self: 'New cup designs, backbores, and mouthpiece weights, all of which are optimized for use with non-Monette, production trumpets.
New designs for lead trumpet easier in the extreme upper register'.
-complaints about lack of technical info from Monette
- is Chef's secret
-concept of Monette is so different..
-research and development isn't just math
-there is something there...
-newly developed premium products
-36 years of mouthpiece R&D of this unique American artisan firm
- got my new mouthpiec: wow!
-can't believe how good it sounds for such a shallow piece
-maybe in 50 years everyone will be playing on that style of mouthpieces
-too much mystery about their products
-absulutely blown away
-I hope I will have a nice chat with BJ about this...(2X)
-everything they claim is improved or new is!
-the energy and efficiency in playing is almost unbelievable.
What to think about this one:
-'Received my Monette Unity B4s yesterday... The rim though...the rim feels VERY different to anything I've ever felt from Dave'.
Comment Monette (BJcord): Other than the introduction of some new rims in the new line of mouthpieces (B1-7, B2-7, and MF VI), the rims are unchanged from earlier models. So the other commenter's Unity B4S has the exact same rim as any other B4S mouthpiece (i.e. the B4S S2) made in at least the last 15 years or so.

That's it.
Do you get it? Almost all this stuff came from posters who wanted to go "back to the regular programming" or so.

Only one poster gave some real information about this Unity produc:

-wide throat entrances like this are generally not found on modern mouthpieces but I have seen some on older pieces (sic!)
-the backbore is not at all that different from Prana
-the new -7 rim: the inside curve is very similar to the standard GR-rim, outside is different and better than GR, this rim is a winner
-shank thickness is pretty much identical to the Prana
So far about innovation.

I foresee that the grumpy mob will now friendly hail me 'to get a life'' but I can assure you that this exercise was very entertaining for me and making such a summary gives great insight in the mindset of a lot of people here. Love it!
Have a nice Sunday!

-

Last edited by delano on Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:08 am; edited 5 times in total
ALETRUMPET

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delano....this is plain speaking!
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, nice summary, Delano. (But you left out the jokes!)

delano wrote:
Maybe I am a little harsh to you but I got a little fed up with all that mouthpiece small talk.

I guess some people enjoy "mouthpiece small talk" -- why not let them have their fun? If you get fed up over it, can't you simply avoid reading it? Perhaps when the "fed up" feeling rears its ugly head, you should 'chill out' and partake of some of the fine products available in the basements of Amsterdam's charming coffee houses . . .

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
Yes, nice summary, Delano. (But you left out the jokes!)

delano wrote:
Maybe I am a little harsh to you but I got a little fed up with all that mouthpiece small talk.

I guess some people enjoy "mouthpiece small talk" -- why not let them have their fun? If you get fed up over it, can't you simply avoid reading it? Perhaps when the "fed up" feeling rears its ugly head, you should 'chill out' and partake of some of the fine products available in the basements of Amsterdam's charming coffee houses . . .

I used 'small talk' instead of a more rough qualification,
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
I used 'small talk' instead of a more rough qualification,

scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trptguy wrote:
So out of curiosity has anyone compared the -7 rim against the regular stock rim?

I didn't compare the Unity regular rim but I have some other Monette pieces which have their standard rim. It is just that, a pretty standard rim. I would say it is a bit flatter and a touch more sharp at the rim than things like the Bach 1 1/2C or the 3C.

I had spent a few years playing on GR rims so I found the -7 really easy to get used to. But your lips sit a little differently, more into the bowl due to that slow curve in, and it might feel odd. The GR rim was not popular with some people and they later made a different rim for that reason. The GR rim is more challenging than the -7 rim though as it bites into the lip more since the outer part curves away faster.

My suggestion is to take two weeks and promise to not think about the rim and just make music. Then see how it is doing. I found the GR rim odd and annoying for some time .. and then I didn't.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
Boy. Now I feel like a fool for playing a Bach 3C.

WHY ? YOU can (and should) play/use what works for YOU. And I am sure you know this. There is no need to justify to ANYONE what works for you.

It is amazes me that it is such a crime for some of us to (1.) experiment with equipment (2.) play a Monette Mouthpiece.

I've been extremely happy to send my money to Dave. I've probably bought a piece of furniture in his Home if the truth be known. I play a Monette Prana XLT that was given to me and it works very well for me (the same Pro who gave me that mouthpiece gave me another mouthpiece ... that's what happens when you are NICE to people). Additionally, I play a Marcinkiewicz Claude Gordon Personal Model coated in GOLD if that makes any difference. LMAO
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Trptguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottfsmith wrote:
Trptguy wrote:

I didn't compare the Unity regular rim but I have some other Monette pieces which have their standard rim. It is just that, a pretty standard rim. I would say it is a bit flatter and a touch more sharp at the rim than things like the Bach 1 1/2C or the 3C.

I had spent a few years playing on GR rims so I found the -7 really easy to get used to. But your lips sit a little differently, more into the bowl due to that slow curve in, and it might feel odd. The GR rim was not popular with some people and they later made a different rim for that reason. The GR rim is more challenging than the -7 rim though as it bites into the lip more since the outer part curves away faster.

My suggestion is to take two weeks and promise to not think about the rim and just make music. Then see how it is doing. I found the GR rim odd and annoying for some time .. and then I didn't.

This is great info. I am going to stick with it for a few weeks. I have been playing on Monette mthpcs for the last 10 years so I guess I was a little surprised that it didn't;t work immediately.
www.balabrass.org
XO Artist
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monette must be laughing in a$$ off reading these threads...all the way to the bank. His detractors are his best friends. If there weren't people bashing his products constantly, then his clients wouldn't have to bother defending him. He would have fallen into obscurity by now. Personally I have never owned any of his products and have no plan on doing so. But up till now, it is still legal to buy products in the USA, and legal to produce them. So as long as people are buying Monette products, he will keep selling them. Obviously. And the prices will keep going up.

A suggestion to the moderators. Why not have a separate Monette forum? It would be good for both the Monette fans, who can use the forum and not be bothered, and the haters as well, who wouldn't feel compelled to diss them by staying out of their forum.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record; by making my summary I did not encounter any Monette hater.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: