• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

One of the Cool Things about Reinhardt…

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donovan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: One of the Cool Things about Reinhardt… Reply with quote

Once you know your type and your pivot classficiation, and you have it “down”, then all of a sudden the exercises and “routines” from other “systems” are now available to you.

For example, I’ve taken several lessons with an Bill Adam teacher, and I didn’t make any progress. Played the routine for years, no real improvement. But now that I have my type and classification down, listening to Adam play through his routine with Greg Wing:
[url] https://soundcloud.com/gwing-86891706/william-adam-greg-wing-play-the-routine?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing[/url]
I can now practice this routine also and receive the benefits that Adam students have espoused, but using the Reinhardt ideas combined with Adam.

I would imagine the Caruso 6 notes, 2nds, etc would benefit me now, too. Same with the Claude Gordon exercises (not all of his instruction, mind you, but the exercises).

The whole world of trumpet pedagogy is unlocked for you now.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Doc telling me that if I was playing “correctly” (as you mentioned, Donovan, according to my correct type and pivot classification) I could practice anything and improve. As a IIIB at the time he told me not to *practice* pedal tones, however. He also said that on a gig I had to do whatever the music required (even in the case of pedal tones) no matter what. But if I was practicing “correctly” I would always be building up, not tearing down.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, specifically, was your "Reinhardt Moment", Donavan"? Simply "typing" your embouchure is just a statement of fact. How did you use this knowledge? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
donovan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, several things...

1. I'm naturally a Type IV, low placement, upstream player. However, whether it was band directors, private teachers, or my own self analysis, I felt I needed to play with a higher placement, making me a IIIB. But I was having all kinds of issues as a IIIB, since it's not the type that works best with my physiology, that I couldn't get resolved no matter how many teachers I had or how much practice I did. I was not aware of the validity of the low placement, or Type IV - and didn't know that it was ADVISABLE to switch back until finding Reinhardt.

2. I had the typical misunderstanding of the pivot. I thought it had to to with tilting the bell/angle of the mouthpiece, and therefor didn't give it much thought. Learning about the motion of the embouchure track opened up flexibility, more easily accessed range, and for me, the ability to come down after playing at the top of my range (I would often get "stuck" and have to reset to play anything lower). This left huge gaps in my playing.

3. I was unaware of the inhalation "slump" and the fact that I wasn't using it was causing me to increase tension on every breath as I would play. Dave Sheetz caught that in one of my first lessons, and that has been a game changer in terms of playing with more effeciency.

These are just three things off the top of my head. I could likely name a half dozen more...
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Donovan.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic and great point, Donovan.

I have applied Reinhardt principles to Caruso and Bill Adam material (skipping the leadpipe buzzing) and found the results to be pretty darn good (I took lessons with well-known Caruso/Adam students who walked me through the material, before I took Reinhardt lessons). I did it before gigs and was quite happy with how everything went.

I did return to the Reinhardt material after a short while because I found, for me, that though I liked what the Caruso and Adam did for my chops, I personally preferred the way I sounded and felt with Reinhardt. I hope that won’t offend anyone, as I’m well-aware that many trumpet heroes of mine use these approaches and sound amazing. Actually, their success is part of what made me want to try it in the first place.

Sometimes you may need a “break” from Reinhardt material and there are many options you can try that are also Reinhardt student-created. I would certainly add Chris LaBarbera’s Warm Up 57, and Rich Willey’s Warm Up Magic book to the list of material. There’s plenty more as well. It’s also not a bad idea to be able to invent your own warm up sometimes, or not practice any drills at all for a few days or so, if you need a break.
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donovan wrote:

3. I was unaware of the inhalation "slump" and the fact that I wasn't using it was causing me to increase tension on every breath as I would play. Dave Sheetz caught that in one of my first lessons, and that has been a game changer in terms of playing with more effeciency.

Can you explain the 'inhalation slump' a bit more? I have an guess what it might mean but am not 100% sure. (I'd be interested in a video about this if you're up for it!)
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the point of diaphragm relaxation, when you still have some air left that you could push out with effort, but you haven't inhaled yet.

You spend a lot of your non-trumpet-playing time in that relaxed position, and only inhale when you need oxygen.

Treat playing the same way. Only inhale what you're actually going to use for a given phrase. End back at the relaxed point, or "slump" in Reinhardt's terminology.
donovan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my understanding (and explanation) of the Reinhardt respiration "Slump":

Link

Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donovan wrote:
Here's my understanding (and explanation) of the Reinhardt respiration "Slump":

Link

Awesome video - thanks for posting it! I think this will have to go on my "Corrections" list as I don't think I'm doing it or not as much as I should etc. Glad I asked!
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed this YouTube that Donovan posted in another forum and checked to see if it was here in the Reinhardt Forum and did not see it.

So here you go, Donovan's YouTube message to people regarding his experience leading to discovering Reinhardt (thanks, Donovan!):

Link

donovan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: