• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How can I get out of a rut?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
classycal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: How can I get out of a rut? Reply with quote

I’ve been stuck in a rut playing-wise for a couple weeks now, and I’m getting kind of desperate because I have an audition in about a month.

The horn feels physically different against my lips, and my embouchure looks different when I see myself play in the mirror. To me it looks like my lips are a little puckered, and it also like more of my top lip is rolled in, or in the mouthpiece. If anyone has read Jeff Smiley’s book The Balance Embouchure, I suspect I’ve somehow developed a button embouchure. My range is limited compared to what it used to be, often airing out higher notes or not being able to hold them out. Or playing them but with great difficulty/strain.

I’ll admit I’ve been pretty lazy with practicing these days which I’m sure hasn’t helped, but even with efforts to practice regularly I see no improvement. It’s hard to get myself to practice when I sound so bad and playing is so difficult, so it’s just a vicious cycle. I’ve also found in the past that changes in diet/exercise patterns has a great bearing on my playing, and I’ve been guilty of both recently. But I’m making changes for my health so I’m not sure what to do about that.

TLDR: Audition coming up but in a rut and playing poorly, any advice or insights greatly appreciated.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try doing something differently for a couple of days to get out of the rut. Don't worry about your audition music, or Arban's double tonguing exercises. Play along with the Terry Gibbs Dream Band, Donald Byrd, the Boston Symphony playing Sibelius...whatever you enjoy. Just have fun for a couple of days. Hopefully that will help address the rut.

Looking beyond that, reach out to your teacher...or a teacher...and get in for a lesson(s). Work with your teacher to figure out what is going on with your chops. The weeks before an audition are not the time to mess around with your embouchure, but you need help to figure out what is going on and what to do about it.

You can also ask your teacher for help in putting together a routine to help you get ready for your audition, and then diligently and intelligently follow the routine.

At the same time, do some reflecting on why you want to play the trumpet. Your motivation to practice needs to come from within; you need to figure out why it is worthwhile (for you).

Good luck!
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Try doing something differently for a couple of days to get out of the rut. Don't worry about your audition music, or Arban's double tonguing exercises. Play along with the Terry Gibbs Dream Band, Donald Byrd, the Boston Symphony playing Sibelius...whatever you enjoy. Just have fun for a couple of days. Hopefully that will help address the rut.

+1

Do what you can to let go of any particular expectation of how you'll play in the audition. Look at the next month as a process of discovering how much your playing can improve in the time you have. That extends to each individual practice session - if you're really unhappy with how you're playing for the first couple of minutes, think along the lines of 'I wonder how much better I might be sounding in half an hour?' You'll probably surprise yourself

Mike
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how to get yourself in the best possible position for success without knowing you or seeing you play:

1. Do not obsess about the physical appearance of the embouchure. It also doesn't do much good to obsess about the physical feeling of the embouchure. Changes can happen subconsciously and often I am surprised when I see a photo of me while playing.

2. Get your face to feel fresh. Fatigue is the worst possible state you can keep your face in for forward progress or "embouchure" issues.

3. More than diet or exercise, go to sleep at the same time everyday and wake up at the same time every day. Nothing affects all of this more than sleep.

4. Don't worry about extremes, just worry about the skills you need for your audition. Chances are maybe you can't hold out a high C for 12 seconds but can you play your audition stuff with the sound and musicality you need while nailing about 95% of it? Then don't worry about the other stuff. But do play a combination of new stuff and old stuff this week like the other posters have said.

If I had you in person I would just make sure of some other things, but just focus on 1-4 unless you want to reach out to me in a private message. Have fun.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to identify any 'little things' that have changed in your daily activities.

For me, if I'm tired physically it impacts my embouchure control, and mental concentration. If I eat spicy food before playing, that impacts my lip sensitivity and control. Might even be something such as seasonal allergies.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple.
Don't micro-manage your technique and appearance.
Get a good teacher or coach. Sounds to me that you need a second party and fresh set of eyes.
Get a regular practice time and stick to it.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:

Quote:
For me, if I'm tired physically it impacts my embouchure control, and mental concentration.

100% agree. If I am tired and just not in the right frame of mind for a serious practice session, I usually only play some gentle long tones, and think about nothing but the tone. Just focus on creating beautiful tone. On easy, mid-staff notes. Lots of rests. It is gentle on the chops, still very useful practice, and inspiring to hear the tone that inspires me to play.

Mike
Yamaha 631 Flugel
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
I find the hardest part isn't carrying through with my practicing, it's just taking the first step. Once realizing this, I do something, anything-maybe just picking up and looking at my horn. Then putting it to my lips.

Once I can get through this first step, the rest is easier.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a day off and clear your mind.
R. Tomasek[/b]
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
R. Tomasek[/b]

^ Great advice.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to awesome music, find a recording that really fires you up and listen to it over and over again.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:

Good luck!

I like this idea. We get fixated on stuff that steals our joy. What of this audition? If you get the position and don't enjoy it, what have you gained? Not music! So, rediscover what you love about playing trumpet. Let go of the other stuff, for a little while. Flow. Let music flow. Let your air flow. Let you mind soar. Enjoy your music. It might help!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your gear is in good working order. If you're not sure then take it to a shop or a trusted trumpet player. Sometimes things drift south when there's build-up in the horn or mouthpiece. Sometimes a leak develops in a solder joint or cork.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: How can I get out of a rut? Reply with quote

classycal wrote:
I’ve been stuck in a rut playing-wise for a couple weeks now, and I’m getting kind of desperate because I have an audition in about a month.

The horn feels physically different against my lips, and my embouchure looks different when I see myself play in the mirror. To me it looks like my lips are a little puckered, and it also like more of my top lip is rolled in, or in the mouthpiece. If anyone has read Jeff Smiley’s book The Balance Embouchure, I suspect I’ve somehow developed a button embouchure. My range is limited compared to what it used to be, often airing out higher notes or not being able to hold them out. Or playing them but with great difficulty/strain.

You're doing something different than you were doing - even doing something subtly different can make a change, you say you can even see a difference and it feels different. The horn doesn't change, the only variable is you.

I recommend posting video of your self playing, particularly at the point where you're struggling.

Did I mention posting video?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"That's the saddest story I have ever heard. You have my complete sympathy"
H.L. Clarke
TheHighNotes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
Vin DiBona wrote:
R. Tomasek[/b]

^ Great advice.

Indeed.

Your mind needs rest, just like you chops.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware, the difference between a rut and a grave may just be dimensions!

Or maybe factor in duration of stay. Not sure which, but they are related!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Bachatit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Stuck in a rut
-Desperate
-Embouchure feels different
-Guilty (of bad habits)
-Preparation concerns (audition in 1 month)
-Limited range

Welcome to the trumpet! I would suggest that accepting what all trumpet players experience as constant distractions will bring you some relief and, perhaps, bring you to a place where you can concentrate on the real problem, ie. the sound (technical accuracy and musical expressiveness). This is not something easily done! Make being a better player today than you were yesterday the goal (no matter how small that improvement is!) and not a perfect audition. Don't worry about how "bad" you sound but rather focus on what you want to sound like and aim for that. The target is difficult to hit (impossible?) but getting closer is what makes it a worthwhile endeavor IMO. More specific advice on playing the instrument is beyond the scope of this commenter (me). Best
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP:
Do you have a private teacher? What does he/she say? I have gotten stuck in ruts before and usually it was beyond my own personal capacity to pull myself out.

This goes for anything in life. If you are stuck in a rut of, say, depression and/or anxiety, you need somebody else, who is able to look at your life objectively, to help you out of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: