• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Distractions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Distractions Reply with quote

I'm thinking out loud and any one can jump in with thoughts on this topic. Which is: seeking perfect trumpet methods and exercises vs. practicing just about anything. A short anecdote to illustrate.

When I lived in S. Calif., I went looking for a Martial Arts studio convenient to me. I already was a 4th degree blackbelt and had trained in a variety of styles so, to an extent, it didn't really matter what style I trained with. I went to a studio a few minutes down the street from my house. I saw some things they were teaching that I strongly disagreed with, so I decided not to work out with them. But the result was, I seldom worked out regularly with anyone and my skill suffered.

In retrospect, it would've been better to have done something instead of nothing. Isn't that what some of us are doing regarding finding this perfect system or that perfect exercise, this Goldilocks mouthpiece or that Goldilocks horn?

Wouldn't it be better to just pick a system/exercises/horn/mpc. and hit the shed? Do we divert too much time and energy that could be spent practicing into extraneous things, resulting in too much of nothing for a lot of something?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thought-provoking topic, Kehaulani.

There used to be a kind of recurring debate in the running community that one could not be a "real runner" unless one had run a marathon. But I always contended that if running was part of your everyday life, that if you got grumpy if you went three days in a row without a run, you were a real runner even if you ran just 2 miles a day (and I did run my requisite marathon just to see).

Same with the horn. There are guys on here who are absolute monsters of talent, guys with lots of theory and practice behind them, and lots of comebackers and beginners, too. I think if playing the trumpet has become a vital part of our lives, no matter what our skill level or goals, we're trumpeters and legit members of the community.

When I started my comeback 9 years ago, I was 40 years past my high school experience (technically solid 2nd chair but not confident or skilled enough to play first chair). I play for my own enjoyment and improvement as the spirit of the day moves me. A lot of fundamentals. A lot of scales and experimentation. A lot of blues. Range went from nil to a solid E above high C. Yes, I strive for more and will never stop that. At some point I'll top out but won't seek out a chops doc so I can hit double C.

No goldilocks at all. No teacher at all. Just put the horn up there and play. Life is better when you do.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Distractions Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to just pick a system/exercises/horn/mpc. and hit the shed? Do we divert too much time and energy that could be spent practicing into extraneous things, resulting in too much of nothing for a lot of something?

----------------------------------
I agree, as long as what has been 'picked' is reasonable and suited to the person.

It seems that many people struggle with finding that combination - they don't recognize when something is completely adequate, and keep searching for the magic wand that will fix everything.

On the other hand, some people have strong emotional ties that keep them locked into equipment or ideas that hinders their ability.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Distractions Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:

I agree, as long as what has been 'picked' is reasonable and suited to the person.

It seems that many people struggle with finding that combination - they don't recognize when something is completely adequate, and keep searching for the magic wand that will fix everything.

On the other hand, some people have strong emotional ties that keep them locked into equipment or ideas that hinders their ability.

Count your blessings and be grateful that you escaped that fate and became one of the most priviliged trumpet players of this world.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Distractions Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I went to a studio a few minutes down the street from my house. I saw some things they were teaching that I strongly disagreed with, so I decided not to work out with them.

In my youth, I studied a Japanese karate form (Kenpo). All my kids learned a Korean form (Tang Soo Do) and I refused to join in because they were doing it wrong! In retrospect it would have been cool to work out with my kids. Now all 3 have first or second-degree black belts.

Sorry, had to share. Now back to trumpet talk.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart

Last edited by cheiden on Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Distractions Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Count your blessings and be grateful that you escaped that fate and became one of the most privileged trumpet players of this world.

Delano. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with you, but you, Sir, are a Bad Ass. LOL

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question. I suppose part of the problem is that it’s hard to figure out whether the ‘something’ is in fact, better than ‘nothing’. In your own example, would you really have gained something meaningful if you’d joined that gym? It’s not unthinkable that sooner or later frustration would have gotten the upper hand and you’d have quitted. Also, learning is pretty much a process of trial and error so always trying new things (and finding out what works) can be an integral part of learning to play.

There is of course the danger of ‘the grass is always greener’. But there’s also a risk in wasting a lot of time sticking to the same concepts/gear when it turns out they’re insufficient. I suppose like most things a balance is more productive than either of the extremes.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, "Doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results".

I was very stubborn about the "free buzz-mouthpiece buzz-horn play" thing. Now, I don't want to get into it but for me, changing my concept to air producing a lip oscillation amplified by the horn concept led me to a little leadpipe blowing and more relaxed playing, not clamping down on the lips but concentrating on shrinking/opening the lip opening. So, a little exploring can be good.

But I'm thinking of the phrase of never being satisfied. Concentrating in the trees, not seeing the forest. Falling victim to spending your time and energy on the wrong thing. Micro-managing to avoiding the hard work of just hitting the shed.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
But I'm thinking of the phrase of never being satisfied. Concentrating in the trees, not seeing the forest. Falling victim to spending your time and energy on the wrong thing. Micro-managing to avoiding the hard work of just hitting the shed.

There’s a risk of that certainly, but I suppose it depends on the individual situation whether it’s a real problem. In general I agree that changing gear to fix issues with your playing isn’t a solution that’s likely to work. Speaking for myself, some of the major breakthroughs I’ve had were (indirectly and/or partially) the result of changing gear, though admittedly not as a substitute for practice. It did motivate me enough to start practicing more though than the old gear did. Some players use new gear to keep things from getting stale, to stay motivated, so I can see why they’d buy (and sell?) more than the average person.

So as long as it’ll motivate a person to practice more, or even prevent them from quitting altogether, and they have the time and money for it, I don’t think it has to be a major problem to obsess about gear a little.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's an age thing. I came back 6 years ago after a 50 year layoff and at the age of 79, and also thinking I should be as good a player as I was in my teens and twenties. Because of that I was never satisfied. Although I play first trumpet, and always have, I am not playing lead in my band. I couldn't if I wanted to because age and health conditions present endurance issues that just can't be fixed no matter how hard I try.

I have never been satisfied with my playing until two years ago when two first chair players in the band had a long talk with me. They made me realize that I am a better player than I think I am, and that I should accept the fact that I am an adequate player in an award winning band.

I haven't changed anything in my routine. I practice fundamentals 30 minutes every morning, and play tunes every afternoon for 60 minutes. The difference is I have accepted the fact that I am an adequate player for my age the state of my health.

That was a great thought-provoking post, kehaulani, and I wish you'd post it at that other site.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Distractions Reply with quote

delano wrote:
JayKosta wrote:

Count your blessings and be grateful that you escaped that fate and became one of the most priviliged trumpet players of this world.

mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the vast majority of players would be perfectly fine with a 7C/5C/3C plugged into a Yamaha/Getzen beginner horn or Bach 37/Yamaha Xeno. BUT, we like to tinker...we like to look for an edge. There's a thought in NASCAR that if your crew chief isn't pushing the rules to their absolute limits and looking for things that don't have rules yet made he's not trying to win. We do that with gear and methods.

Then, you have someone like my teacher. Forty years as an orcestral principal trumpet playing a stock Bach 1, stock Bach 229A, stock Yamaha picc. Old school? You better believe it, but it always sounded great.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
TheHighNotes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Distractions Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I'm thinking out loud and any one can jump in with thoughts on this topic. Which is: seeking perfect trumpet methods and exercises vs. practicing just about anything. A short anecdote to illustrate.

When I lived in S. Calif., I went looking for a Martial Arts studio convenient to me. I already was a 4th degree blackbelt and had trained in a variety of styles so, to an extent, it didn't really matter what style I trained with. I went to a studio a few minutes down the street from my house. I saw some things they were teaching that I strongly disagreed with, so I decided not to work out with them. But the result was, I seldom worked out regularly with anyone and my skill suffered.

In retrospect, it would've been better to have done something instead of nothing. Isn't that what some of us are doing regarding finding this perfect system or that perfect exercise, this Goldilocks mouthpiece or that Goldilocks horn?

I think that in any situation you may find yourself, there is always something to learn if you are looking for it. You must be intentional with your focus. Yes, doing something is better than nothing, and we all learn that at some point.
(fun fact: that's why I got on TH)

I think at least being exposed to new ideas or things you disagree with has benefit and utility, in that you may be challenged and learn something new, or be challenged and reaffirm what you believe.

I think anything done without AIMING INTENTIONALLY is a waste of time, if you are trying to improve. And sometimes you don't know what that even is because of lack of perspective.(but you wont get perspective without experience. Hind-sight and all that). If you are seeking improvement, then 'going through the motions' wont cut it. You must be intentional. Coincidentally, I do not believe in perfect, I believe in trajectory. Aim high, hit high. Aim middle, hit middle. Aim low, fall low. Tread water, don't drown. And honestly in my playing all of those have been where I was at in some way or another.
"To have have fun, to learn, to improve. To share my perspective on how to navigate playing the trumpet to the best of my ability. To preserve and champion high art, artistic integrity, and live instrumental music."

-TheHighNotes
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes, in general, as long as you are seeing positive results. If you are not seeing those results, I'd look first to what and how you are practicing -- ideally with the assistance of a teacher -- and then to mouthpiece choice. System and horn are usually much less consequential, assuming that the horn is in good mechanical condition, of course.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Distractions Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

It can be easy to become paralyzed in the sea of information and do nothing for fear of doing the wrong thing. Or, I guess not practicing at all because you dont have enough time to do your whole routine. Or, spending time assembling materials to preparing the perfect practice routine. Or, spending time worrying whether that .001" of mouthpiece diameter is the reason that you cant seem to improve your range, endurance and accuracy.

I found myself starting to getting caught up in some of these traps a year ago. I was taking a lesson from James Blackwell. We were discussing something regarding efficiency and he made a statement to effect of "you can intellectualize this, you have to go do it". I think about that statement a couple of times a week. Amazing the progress I have made in a number of areas.

While you cant go about things mindlessly, sometimes you just need to go play the damn horn.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post!

For me there was no such thing as a method to follow. Aside from the first lessons during less than a year when I was 16 aiming at getting me to produce a good enough sound.

I spent the rest of my playing life up to 72 using whatever method helped my playing. Charles Colin´s thick book, with the advanced lip lip flexibilities became my favourite. Why? Seemed to function, rather well.

But the decisive force was my (probably)stubborn wish to get better, all the time. Kaizen! So the variable intentionality pointed to above is extremely important. Don´t just sit under the apple tree amusing yourself with random noises from your horn. You gotta have a goal in mind.

Anecdote: when I was eight I and my buddy tried to play along (make noises that in some way resembled..) his daddy´s American Patrol record (on a crank up phonograph), he on my little toy drum, me on our shower hose - I remember a childish idea "what if....."
1968 I played lead, American Patrol in the newly established swingband!
So if you want your dreams to become true you gotta lay down a considerable amount of time and effort.

Take away for me: The drive to get better. Also made me humble enough to finally take formal lessons....some 50 later.

So yes, better do something than not just nothing. "The meek shalt inherit the world"?? Nonsense, they just keep sitting under their apple tree. Fine for them but they were not the folks who discovered the wheel. However probably enjoying a happy time in the valley ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN62cxSs5Q8)
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
Interesting question. I suppose part of the problem is that it’s hard to figure out whether the ‘something’ is in fact, better than ‘nothing’. In your own example, would you really have gained something meaningful if you’d joined that gym? It’s not unthinkable that sooner or later frustration would have gotten the upper hand and you’d have quitted. Also, learning is pretty much a process of trial and error so always trying new things (and finding out what works) can be an integral part of learning to play.

There is of course the danger of ‘the grass is always greener’. But there’s also a risk in wasting a lot of time sticking to the same concepts/gear when it turns out they’re insufficient. I suppose like most things a balance is more productive than either of the extremes.

+1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: