• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reinhardt for Beginning Band?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donovan wrote:
Hi kehaulani, I'm not sure I understand the reason for your repost?

Me neither. Gremlins.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Yes, I am aware there are differences between the masterclass setting and the private setting. But the number of world class teachers that are able to take struggling students to nearly pro level in 30 minutes has reaffirmed my experience in teaching which is that embouchure issues are further down the list than most make it out to be.

Can you PM me with some links if they're on the internet? I'd love to watch them!
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bring this back on topic a bit...

Free buzzing is useful for all types so long as it is done correctly (downstream), and that is something that can be taught in a group situation. But it would be important to say very directly I think that we don't buzz into the mouthpiece, it's just an exercise. I would probably suggest ending any buzzing with clearly saying "okay, now we're going to play, remember we just blow air into the instrument, we don't buzz into it" and then do some "place, breathe, blow" breath attack stuff.

I would also suggest working on develop the "place, breathe, play" and corner-breathing habit, which will save a lot of problem in the long run I think. This is applicable to most wind instruments, except flute.

Then in terms of actual playing, a lot of the important stuff could be worked into a warmup that the whole band does.

For example:
- air attacks, and "hoo doo doo" exercises etc.

- The pivot stabaliser could be done, but without talking about pivot (let it happen on its own). Explain it as working on making sure you're going from note to note quickly and cleanly, and that the intonation on both notes is good. Probably just do G (4counts) - C (4 counts) - G (4 counts). Repeat. A bunch of times. A whole band can work on this and get benefits.

- The alternating between tonguing and slurring in the same breath like in the track routine would also be great for a whole band. Could practice flexibility exercises or scales where it alternates between the two.

You don't need to talk about the pivot.

The most important thing would be to watch and listen for any funny business that is going to become a long term bad habit someone else will have to fix.

If need be, and you have the ability to do so, you could try and build in some time to address anything weird that's going on with specific students. So, maybe band finishes 5 minutes early, and you can touch base with a student where you noticed a bad habit forming, or they're not quite getting something, and give them a few minutes of direct attention.

Those are the thoughts that come to mind that would work in a band setting, are Reinhardt-based, and would probably be hugely helpful in the long run.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donovan, if your wife does use Reinhardt in her school band tuition, could you let us know how it went - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly? Thanks.

(I know the wait will be long. No problem.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Josephtriscari

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with kehaulani 100%….
Way too complicated at an early development…
When I was very young and just starting out..
My uncle handed me the “Arubans”!! Lol
Josephtriscari

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry …. Arbans…
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josephtriscari wrote:

Don't confuse what a teacher learns about with what the teacher tells her students. I agree that getting into the different embouchure types, for example, is too complicated for beginners. Some experienced adult musicians have trouble grasping it too. Reinhardt did have suggestions for how to start beginners that I posted earlier and when a teacher breaks those instructions down into manageable chunks over the longer term they are definitely practical for a band director to use with beginning brass students.

Reinhardt used the Arbans too.
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilktone wrote:
Josephtriscari wrote:

Don't confuse what a teacher learns about with what the teacher tells her students. I agree that getting into the different embouchure types, for example, is too complicated for beginners. Some experienced adult musicians have trouble grasping it too. Reinhardt did have suggestions for how to start beginners that I posted earlier and when a teacher breaks those instructions down into manageable chunks over the longer term they are definitely practical for a band director to use with beginning brass students.

Reinhardt used the Arbans too.

Dave or anyone else who may know: did Reinhardt use the Arbans for anything besides the endurance drill A?

I remember hearing he was asked to edit the Arbans book and he said if he did, he would put the whole book up a major third.
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first off, the man's name is Reinhardt - not Rheinhart. I think we can all agree that we should spell his name correctly when talking about his life's work.

I have only worked with one absolute beginner. I started teaching him when I moved back to Texas in 2019. He is a very gifted pianist who for some reason wanted to learn the Trumpet.

He's 8 years old and can play from low C to high C with a nice sound and good articulation, and it's a direct result of the Reinhardt principles I started him on from day 1.

Reinhardt isn't complicated. WE make it hard.

[Edit by Reinhardt Forum Moderator]: I have gone through all the posts in this forum where Reinhardt appears to have been deliberately (and rather disrespectfully) misspelled. Anonymous posters may have their posts edited at any time in this forum if they fail to respect the teachings of Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt. Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: