• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why most people prefer to play the trumpet over the cornet?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eduardo90

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:42 am    Post subject: Why most people prefer to play the trumpet over the cornet? Reply with quote

Hi everybody hope you all doing very well. I would like to know your opinions about which are the reason behind most players prefer to play trumpet over cornet and even some trumpet players consider cornet as a kind of inferior instrument, in my opinion you can do almost the same things on trumpet and cornet, i think one of the most obvious things that the trumpets surpass cornets is when it comes to projection, but i think that if are playing on small group or with microphone thast not a big deal, on the other hand i think that the cornet has a broader pallet of timbres because it has mouthpieces that ranges from flugelhorn like deep cups to shallow mouthpieces and thats not the case with trumpets and flugelhorns, its like Nat Adderley said on and interview when the interviwer asked him why he choosed to play the cornet instead the trumpet, and he answer that he choose the cornet because on cornet he could sound like a trumpet when he wanted to, like a flugelhorn when he wanted to and also like a cornet if he wanted to, and thast very true he has a wide varity of timbres when the same instrument on his recordings.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Why most people prefer to play the trumpet over the corn Reply with quote

moved post to duplicate thread
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces

Last edited by stuartissimo on Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet projects better than cornet. That's pretty much it.

If I had my choice, I would only play cornet. I like the small size and the responsiveness. It just feels more like a part of me. But the projection thing means there is a need in my life for trumpet.

I should note that I'm talking about jazz. If I have to play straight music, I do it on euphonium.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you happen to live near the world of brass bands, the UK style there is no such thing as a band without cornets.
For me this is the reason for playing cornet the major poart of my playing life.

If I had happened to open my eyes in a part of the world with no brass bands (God forbid) I think that I would have played the trumpet, nothing but the trumpet and all the the trumpet.

Or: in my opinion the cornet is a more agile/faster/versatile horn, is able to produce softer more lyrical rounder sounds. I have played the Hummel on both instruments preferring the cornet because of the above reasons.

And: it´s more easy to transport, tow away etc etc.

But in big bands....(I have brought along my cornet but but)trumpet is the King.

And coming to Guiseppe V - no cornets please!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to post some different thoughts than I posted on the Horns thread.

Media ~
I seem to remember that Louis Armstrong started on cornet and switched to trumpet. I wonder if his film career had something to do with it. When an artist appears on film, visual performance and appearance have a greater impact than sound. Filmmakers quickly learned to add sound rather than try to capture it live in studio. With film, it's all about the look and trumpets are so much more dramatic. Imagine Harry James leaning back for those high notes while using... a cornet. Boring.

Culture ~
Music stepped into the Big Band era in the 1930s. At the same time, development of the trumpet was catching up to the level the cornet had reached and it could be adopted by serious players, like Elden Benge, Renold Schilke and Vincent Bach. Larger audiences, a more aggressive social vibe as the automobile and airplane come into play and music with higher energy called for a more aggressive brass sound.

Recording ~
High frequencies get "on tape." Trumpet has those. Punchy, vibrant tone is more effective than softer-edged tone. Give the sound engineer trumpet players!

School Marching Band ~
Parade and field competitions require projection! This is a Football Field", after all. There seems to be no way around it. Trumpet is better for open-air power playing. Just look at that Salvation Army band with all those old people! NOW, look at that state champion band. THOSE are real players! They have trumpets. Trumpets are for real brass players.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I subbed Monday night with a local jazz big band. I brought a trumpet. I sit down and look down the line of.......cornet players. Yup. I knew one of the guys and he just likes his cornet better. I asked the guy next to me why the cornet. He told me it was his father's and he liked paying tribute to his old man.

What did we sound like? We sounded like a trumpet section.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt that the film career of Armstrong had anything to do with his change from cornet to trumpet. That happened in the Hot Five period around 1925/1926 far before his film carreer in the thirties.
Further I read a lot about historical developments but those have also a reason. It is my feeling that the trumpet is just a little bit more complete than the cornet. Second, the trumpet has a more closer sound to the human voice for me, I mean that the sound of a cornet is a bit more ‘artificial’. So the trumpet touches the soul easier which for me makes the trumpet a better close friend. There are exceptions, I think the 80A is such an exception with a very different and expressive sound. It’s certainly not a regular cornet. There may be more.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion is that the typical shape of a cornet makes it looked 'dated' - like in pictures of bands from the 1890-1920 period. The shape and appearance of trumpet looks more modern.

That could affect what instrument players choose - some like the 'old look' and historical connections of the cornet.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played both, and they both have their setting. Obviously, when I'm playing in a British brass band setting, I DON'T play a trumpet.

However, if I were lost on a desert island and could only choose one instrument, what would I pick? A Bb trumpet. I love the sound of the trumpet, it's dynamic range, how it feels, even how it looks. To me, a cornet is just more specialized. Nothing wrong with that, but I put it in the category of flugelhorn--beautiful in its own right, but more of a Humvee than an SUV.
ttc505

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding regarding Louis Armstrong's switch from cornet to trumpet was due to a gig he got playing in a theater band, where the other horns were trumpets, not cornets. If I recall correctly, it is discussed in Thomas Brothers excellent biography of Louis, "Louis Armstrong, Master of Modernism"
From personal experience when I was a child (late 1960s), the school band director gave trumpets to the physically larger children, and cornets to the smaller kids. The reasoning was sound enough--the "smaller" horn was easier to handle for small kids with shorter arms. But what kid wanted to be known as "too small for the trumpet"? This created a stigma against the cornet amongst the kids. I wonder if that experience was repeated at other schools for a few generations?
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I add that IMO much has to do with economics, specifically the cost at the music stores that provide instruments to beginners, purchase, support, and rent.

When I started, most if not all started on cornet, then sometime at the H.S. level, moved to trumpet. This is more expensive for the suppliers, having to stock two different products for these students.
And imagine explaining to today's prospective parents, that their kid will need to start on this instrument, but in a couple years you'll need to move to this other one.

I do like playing cornet, and do when I can.
If I had my druthers, I would start beginners on cornet.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Zaferis hit the nail on the head. I've taught middle/high school band for going on 17 years. It's getting harder and harder to even get parents in my rural area to upgrade mouthpieces, let alone step up to a pro line horn or a second horn.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priorities. Gotta save money for those RC Colas and Moon Pies.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Vince Synchronicity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass guitar player (in church worship bands), who "came back" to brass.
Therefore, absolutely *nothing* that i would write on this topic is typical.
I suffer from severe tinnitus (and can get exacerbated by playing a brass instrument - has particular sensitivity to the position of my tongue - this is actually true).

Going cornet route.
• If the Music Director ever wishes me to play a brass instrument, when i regain the chops, i will very likely be the *only* brass player. Whether cornet or trumpet becomes my choice.
• Cornet does not attack my internal hearing machine as much as trumpet is prone to do. Going cornet.
• Cornet can be played soft and mellow or with a sharper tone. Mouthpiece choice (cup depth) comes into play, as might heavy bottom valve caps from KGU Brass in Ukraine (they are DELIVERING, by the way, despite the war).
• Because cornet can also go warmer and mellower, eliminates my perceived need for a flugelhorn.
• One good cornet gives this whacky church musician more options than I can actually use. That said, if anyone want to buy me a used Schilke C7 trumpet, will be open to that.

Cornet solo for contemplation: https://youtu.be/iRsMxy-Qgyg
• Bach Bb Cornet (181ML Strad)
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will tell you in one phrase why trumpet versus cornet: World War II. The trumpet displaced the cornet in that then-new style played by swing and other bands. Why do I say this? My uncle played in school bands before WWII. He wanted and played a cornet, a King Silvertone. My father played in school bands after WWII. He wanted and played a trumpet, a King Super 20. After that, generally, trumpet was in and cornet was out. That is my opinion based on my family history and having played both horns. YMMV.
thecoast
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince Synchronicity wrote:

Cornet solo for contemplation: https://youtu.be/iRsMxy-Qgyg

That was one skilled cornetist!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, the big-band era preceded WWII.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
FWIW, the big-band era preceded WWII.

Obviously, that is correct. But in the period between the Pearl Harbor attack and the end of the war, people, especially here in the "hinterlands", were exposed to more experiences and went from hearing music on the radio to getting to see music being made in person and in movies. The sight of all those sexy "pea shooters" (yeah, I know only a few trumpets were true pea shooters) eventually broke through the public awareness.

I would also point out that visually, many of the 30's cornets, such as 80a Victors (and Trumpet Wrapped Conn cornets), Olds Supers, Holton Clarks, and Martin Imperial cornets, just to mention a few were not readily identifiable the "traditional" cornet shape. I knew a lot of older directors in the 60's refused to recognize those as cornets and not trumpets.

The experiences and expectations of the general public that resulted from more cultural exposure affected every aspect of life, from housing developments to cars and appliances, even GI's wanting accurate bolt action Weatherby rifles over Grampas old Winchester. If I may be a bit dramatic, the impacts of WWII could easily have triggered the slow decline of cornet demand.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't overthink it. The big band era started in the early thirties and that craze even reached the hinterlands. Were there "old-fashioned" people who still preferred cornets to trumpets? Sure. But the proliferation of trumpets reached far and wide and was firmly established well before WWII.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornets are CUTE. I own 1 ( a Victor 5A ). Trumpets are beautiful. I own 6.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: