• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette Unity Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trptguy wrote:
So out of curiosity has anyone compared the -7 rim against the regular stock rim?

I'm curious about this too. I used to play a B4S and, after years using it, switched to a B4 because I needed a little bit more security. I currently own a Prana Resonance B4S3 and I've been curious about the Unity B4-7. Not curious enough to feel a need to change though. I like what I have and I'll wear it out, I think, then I'll get whatever the new thing is at that time. No doubt they will continue to innovate.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
Trptguy wrote:
So out of curiosity has anyone compared the -7 rim against the regular stock rim?

I'm curious about this too.

Kevin, you must have missed scottfsmith's reply to Trptguy on the previous page:

scottfsmith wrote:
I didn't compare the Unity regular rim but I have some other Monette pieces which have their standard rim. It is just that, a pretty standard rim. I would say it is a bit flatter and a touch more sharp at the rim than things like the Bach 1 1/2C or the 3C.

I had spent a few years playing on GR rims so I found the -7 really easy to get used to. But your lips sit a little differently, more into the bowl due to that slow curve in, and it might feel odd. The GR rim was not popular with some people and they later made a different rim for that reason. The GR rim is more challenging than the -7 rim though as it bites into the lip more since the outer part curves away faster.

My suggestion is to take two weeks and promise to not think about the rim and just make music. Then see how it is doing. I found the GR rim odd and annoying for some time .. and then I didn't.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I must have missed it with all the grumblings back there!
Trumpetoni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new here. I've been struggling with a Unity B6_7 a month. I'm getting better every day, but the muffled feel, my reference was the classic B6 that sounds much brighter. However, in some moments I feel the sound very rich, which makes me continue in this process of adaptation.
ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I think I’ve played every Monette generation that’s been released this century. The pre-CNC pieces, early pranas, slap mouthpieces prana and standard, resonance and now the unity.

Even though the unity webpage does not specify what’s different, I can tell you know the answer is “everything”.
Comparing an unity 2-7 to the prana 2s5, on Bb and C trumpet
the rim is more Laskey-ish, the cup is shallower, the entrance to the throat is drastically different, the throat and backbore definitely feel different and the blank is also lighter.

It’s really a whole new mouthpiece and it feels and sounds that way.
The Pranas have a thicker, heavier sound with sparkle, the Monette signature. They sound different enough that I can imagine someone 20 years from now wanting the prana for the “classic monette sound”.

The unity on the hand feels more vibrant and easier. Just less to handle overall and less demanding but with good core and density. They sound full, open and feel secure. Still sounds bigger than larger conventional mouthpieces, but not as uncompromising in terms of sonic palette.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought one and sold it. Not for everyone.
DeanLevy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDude wrote:
At this point I think I’ve played every Monette generation that’s been released this century. The pre-CNC pieces, early pranas, slap mouthpieces prana and standard, resonance and now the unity.

Even though the unity webpage does not specify what’s different, I can tell you know the answer is “everything”.
Comparing an unity 2-7 to the prana 2s5, on Bb and C trumpet
the rim is more Laskey-ish, the cup is shallower, the entrance to the throat is drastically different, the throat and backbore definitely feel different and the blank is also lighter.

It’s really a whole new mouthpiece and it feels and sounds that way.
The Pranas have a thicker, heavier sound with sparkle, the Monette signature. They sound different enough that I can imagine someone 20 years from now wanting the prana for the “classic monette sound”.

The unity on the hand feels more vibrant and easier. Just less to handle overall and less demanding but with good core and density. They sound full, open and feel secure. Still sounds bigger than larger conventional mouthpieces, but not as uncompromising in terms of sonic palette.

It's fantastic isn't it? On my Bach 7C I can barely balance a tone but it's so easy on the unity.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out that "Subaru" is the Japanese word for Unity, as well as their name for the constellation Pleiades! (I own a Subaru.)

Dkjcliff

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I’d add my take on the Unity since I haven’t seen any recent reviews. I picked up a B3 recently from someone selling it in the marketplace. I’ve been playing a Resonance B2S3 for about two years. I really like the sound of it, but had some of the typical challenges—fuzzy articulations, lack of endurance, etc. I was also consistently playing sharp above the staff. I had an inkling that maybe the size was just too big for me so I decided to downsize in trying a Unity.

When I first played the Unity, I disliked it. It felt very stuffy, inflexible, too tight overall. I actually put it up for sale online. Then I went off to try getting more accustomed to my Curry 3BC. After a couple weeks on the Curry, which many of you know is quite a good piece, I picked up the Unity again, feeling like the smaller rim on the Curry and greater resistance had altered my embouchure setup for the better.

The Unity immediately worked much better for me. I know the general advice Monette gives on playing their equipment is to stay relaxed. But I feel like the Unity requires this to an even greater degree. Someone on here also said that you need to be careful not to overblow it, and I totally agree. Switching straight from the Resonance model didn’t work well because it had trained me to push a lot of air through and manipulate my embouchure in various ways to get to different notes/registers. The Unity (at least the B3) doesn’t respond well to this style of playing. Coming off the Curry, where I was able to play with less air and keep a more neutral embouchure in different registers, I was in a much better state for the Unity. Now I love it and it really seems to deliver on the advertising—cleaner articulation, better endurance. I’m also not going sharp on top of the staff. And I get all this with the same sound quality.

In sum, I do think this is a great mouthpiece but, at least for me, it required a very different approach. I had trouble switching from the Resonance until I backed off a bit and tried to stay more neutral. Set my embouchure and forget it, focusing on air instead. I know that many people don’t play this way, just my personal experience. And of course some of this was also attributable to the smaller size.

Edit: A couple other things I’d like to note as I’m in self analysis mode. I think I was using an unwise amount of pressure with the B2S3 because it was too big for me and the amount of time I have to practice. The smaller B3 would just shut down with the extra pressure. In terms of benefit, another big one is the ability to play really softly in the upper register with good tone even after playing for a while and being a bit tired. Never could do that very well before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: