• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Valve revision by MG Trumpets (Europe)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:44 pm    Post subject: Valve revision by MG Trumpets (Europe) Reply with quote

Earlier this year my Olds Recording trumpet’s valves started to stick on the upstroke, which turned out to be caused by worn valves. As the trumpet played and sounded pretty well (apart from the valves issue) I was initially reluctant to have any work done on it at all. I took it to MG Trumpets in the Netherlands because I knew from previous visits that Mark, the owner, has experience working on vintage instruments. After trying several other options (including new valve springs and heavier oil), it was determined that a revision was the only viable option left. As the environmental regulations have become stricter in Europe, less shops offer proper valve replating, so Mark suggested a rebuild instead.

For the rebuild most of the parts of the original valves were reused (including the top part of the piston), so only the bottom part of the valves were completely remade. Due to the complexity of the work it took several weeks, and the result was very much worth it. The trumpet plays like it came straight from the factory. The valves fit and align perfectly, they run smooth and have superb compression. It’s also even easier to play than it was before the rebuild, with a noticeable improvement in the core of the sound, especially below the staff. The total cost were a little over €650, including shipping, for effectively new valves (and about 25% cheaper than a competitor’s quote for “just” a replate).

All in all I can say is that MG Trumpets has done an amazing job. My Recording played well before, but now it’s amazing!

1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know who made the new Pistons for Mark?
That type of repair isn't something I think anyone offers in North America,due to very few people making valves over here.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don’t know sorry. You’d have to ask him.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can testify of Mark's extremely high quality production. Last year I bought a Bb lead pipe for my Selmer Piccolo Trumpet from Mark, which puts my picc in much better in-tune then when using the A Blackburn pipe
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing

Last edited by Dieter Z on Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really interesting.

In order to properly refit a valve, (which is what it's called here in the States) the casing has to be bored cylindrical before the layers of plating are built up on the piston.

If your repair guy actually made a new piston and ports (They do look like brand new metal) for 650 euros that, to me, is astounding.
https://yourbrass.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: