• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dual Careers

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Dual Careers Reply with quote

I really miss music, like a whole lot. A bit of background: I graduated with my undergraduate in trumpet performance from a large, private US-based university about 8 years ago. I was the "top" classical trumpeter there when I graduated, for what it's worth (not much, I know). I am a professional software developer but seriously miss the trumpet and have begun my comeback now.

I am curious if it's possible to pursue some kind of dual career, and if anybody has experience doing that. I want to play in a regional orchestra--a professional group that plays serious music, but not a "full-time" group as I don't think I could get to that level.
RETrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until 2019, I worked in Silicon Valley. I still live here. I taught and played on the side. I'm in music full time now after a career switch, but I did both simultaneously for a while.

Some of the people I played with, and some of my early teachers even, had "regular" jobs and played serious music at very high levels. It's a busy lifestyle, but it's doable, depending on your other commitments like family, etc.

I think the more limiting factor is how often those regional jobs open up. Here we have what's sort of known as the "Freeway Symphony Circuit" which is like four or five smaller city symphonies around the major metro area. More than a few players on various instruments, including trumpet, hold spots in all of those groups. Maybe that's an anomaly here in the Bay Area though.
Picc: Stomvi Master, Couesnon Monopole
Cornet: Schilke A2C, '23 Buescher
Flugel: Scodwell Prototype
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RETrumpet wrote:
Up until 2019, I worked in Silicon Valley. I still live here. I taught and played on the side. I'm in music full time now after a career switch, but I did both simultaneously for a while.

Some of the people I played with, and some of my early teachers even, had "regular" jobs and played serious music at very high levels. It's a busy lifestyle, but it's doable, depending on your other commitments like family, etc.

I think the more limiting factor is how often those regional jobs open up. Here we have what's sort of known as the "Freeway Symphony Circuit" which is like four or five smaller city symphonies around the major metro area. More than a few players on various instruments, including trumpet, hold spots in all of those groups. Maybe that's an anomaly here in the Bay Area though.

Seems to me, that's probably an anomaly. I suspect most of the people who play in each one of those groups are full-time musicians? Otherwise, that's a hard lifestyle they live. The idea for me is not to pursue the full-time musician route, but playing in local bands really doesn't do it for me. I want to play the best music with better musicians.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on a few things. First, are you available to rehearse and perform when the group(s) you want to be in do so? That's sometimes tricky when you already have a full-time job.

Second, are you able to commit to the kind of consistent personal practice schedule that will enable you to (build back up after an 8 year layoff and then) master challenging repertoire? Again, not easy if you already have a full-time job. I'm up by 4 AM every day to get my main practice time in before work as I can't always be sure I will have enough time after work.

If the answer to both is "yes," or at least "I think so," then you need a plan. First, you need to get your chops and technique back into shape. You already have a sense of how to do that, but now you need to add in something you didn't have to worry about in college: An efficient routine. You probably don't have the time to play 3-5 hours per day and work full time, so you need to make sure you cover the essentials in a more compact timeframe. If you don't already have a solid routine, find one. Michael Sachs' Daily Fundamentals contains some good ideas.

Second, you need to start building a network. Take lessons from local pros. Let them know of your long-term goal to return to professional-caliber playing. Your ability to get a steady gig is going to depend on you being ready (which you control) and an opportunity to be available. The local pros know about the opportunities, and can help you get them if they know you and know you are ready.

Good luck!
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
It depends on a few things. First, are you available to rehearse and perform when the group(s) you want to be in do so? That's sometimes tricky when you already have a full-time job.

Second, are you able to commit to the kind of consistent personal practice schedule that will enable you to (build back up after an 8 year layoff and then) master challenging repertoire? Again, not easy if you already have a full-time job. I'm up by 4 AM every day to get my main practice time in before work as I can't always be sure I will have enough time after work.

If the answer to both is "yes," or at least "I think so," then you need a plan. First, you need to get your chops and technique back into shape. You already have a sense of how to do that, but now you need to add in something you didn't have to worry about in college: An efficient routine. You probably don't have the time to play 3-5 hours per day and work full time, so you need to make sure you cover the essentials in a more compact timeframe. If you don't already have a solid routine, find one. Michael Sachs' Daily Fundamentals contains some good ideas.

Second, you need to start building a network. Take lessons from local pros. Let them know of your long-term goal to return to professional-caliber playing. Your ability to get a steady gig is going to depend on you being ready (which you control) and an opportunity to be available. The local pros know about the opportunities, and can help you get them if they know you and know you are ready.

Good luck!

Thanks, this is good advice. It sounds like you have done it.
JRoyal
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very possible, but much depends on various aspects of where you live.

Given how competitive music is many regional groups are very stacked these days( and have been for many years), the next tier ‘down’ of per service orchestra ‘can’ be a little more open. In many places your competition are people that do want full time jobs, so if you can’t play close to that level you probably wont be competitive unless you are in some little niche area.

In those areas you will get hit with lower rates per service. A ‘busy’ freelancer in some cites that support regional size orchestra, and lower, you maybe are doing this for an extra 5k a year unless you have some regular side gigs, like week long symphony gigs, pro rate musicals, etc…

Lots of places have the ‘freeway’ circuit mentioned above, and that cuts both ways. You need to look for gigs at a minimum of a 2 hour circle to your location, but people in those locations are looking for gigs in your area.

One final issue is college vs the real world, I think the overlap of being a good college player and the skills you need for working have very little overlap.Even being good enough is but one aspect of work because almost everybody on a scene is good enough. I would start by finding a good pro in your area to take lessons from and go from there.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that part of the OP's question depends, musical requirements aside, on your schedule flexibility and location.

It matters little if there is only one potential gig available and you have unlimited time available, or fifteen orchestras and an inflexible schedule.

You might enjoy, if not need to see this: Freeway Philharmonic
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+freeway+symphony&docid=608023041464626029&mid=8BB35972A63A2934D1E28BB35972A63A2934D1E2&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a guy that used to post here named Derek Reaban who did something similar to what you want to do. Search for his posts and try PM'ing him. I haven't seen him post for quite a while, but he would be someone good to talk to.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think that for better or for worse, it's the way for a lot of people to have a happy musical life in this day and age. There's fewer jobs and more people graduating with music degrees than ever before. I have gigged with people that play extremely well that have other careers, for example running a dog walking business, owning a music store, teaching full-time (music or another subject, like special education), software engineer, etc. I myself am a full-time school music teacher and I also gig and teach lessons.

I really enjoy getting supplemental income through gigging without needing to take every gig or rely on it to pay the bills. It's difficult to find enough time and energy to practice and sometimes I'm disappointed with my playing because of this. However, I enjoy it and feel fortunate to be able to get to play music that is usually at a high level. I don't play in any orchestras, I play jazz/Latin/commercial/club dates with an occasional church gig or brass quintet.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems no one has brought up the demands of personal commitments such as family, community commitments, some people are involved in church or volunteer work. If you are tied up between a demanding day job, and a commited music involvement after hours, seems like many of us would eventually feel the stress. I have known a few guys who have lived that way, but they never seemed enthusiastic about "home life".

I have been retired, more or less, for a long time, and I know current jobs seem to be a bit less about 8 to 5 at the desk than pre-pandemic, but my career was as an engineer, a problem solver, and while I had to be "at work" in the office 8 to 5 or 6 or midnight, I was still on call 24 7 365. Sometimes problems were handled locally, sometimes I was loaned out 5 states away. Anyway, my point is that not all careers are amenable to second careers.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered a service band?

Good pay, incredible tuition plans, free medical, dental, and a month off every year, decent hours. And stability.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best players in my area is a carpenter by trade. I think he gets even more work as a trumpet player now that he’s established himself and makes his own hours as a carpenter.
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another strategy could also be on your own time.
You manifest your wishes into your schedule.

By that I mean

-Keep your normal job. (Consistent income stream)

-Buy recording equipment
Record what you want & when you want

-Contact people you want to play with
Have them layer their part on

-Create a webpage
Sell your recordings (get rights if they are not originals)
Schedule dates when you want to be available

Just thought it hadn’t been mentioned in this fashion yet.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nltrumpet wrote:
One of the best players in my area is a carpenter by trade. I think he gets even more work as a trumpet player now that he’s established himself and makes his own hours as a carpenter.

In orchestral playing?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
nltrumpet wrote:

In orchestral playing?

Yes. Initially more on the commercial side, but now has some of the best regional orchestra gigs, gets great quintet work, and subs in with the full time symphonies.

Another trumpeter was a full-time band director. He was also (and still is) one of the first calls for Dallas and Fort Worth.

It’s doable, but they are some of the hardest working people I know.
tmensch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend at Microsoft (20+ years) who also plays Horn in three professional regional orchestras. He started his latest entry into pro playing by joining some good community orchestras and networking with the top players. He does both very successfully. Computer science and Music degrees from Northwestern.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess it is near impossible if you have kids and your partner also has a demanding job (or wants to do the same with his/her passion).
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
TheHighNotes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
I would guess it is near impossible if you have kids and your partner also has a demanding job (or wants to do the same with his/her passion).

If you are going to chase your dreams, don't take advice like this.
There is probably already enough negative self talk in your head. No need to add to it. Find people that support you and share your vision. Do not take life advice from people who do not share your vision.

My advice is simple - if you want it bad enough, you will find a way to do it, and second guessing never made things happen.
For what it's worth, the guys with dual careers are working 100 hours a week maybe. Which is probably about what most entrepreneurs do initially anyway to be really successful. It's a grind.

For the record, I've lurked for years(well over a decade), and I'll tell you exactly what I'm doing on TH, which is my own little dream, as it were. I'm 33 and hit the reset button HARD on life. I'm am mostly nobody from nowhere at this point, but for a few reasons I'm just slowly putting together an online 'something' trumpety because I love it, and work on a career change to something computery over the next few years.

My mission statement is my signature, essentially.
This is the full one.

"To have have fun, to learn, to improve. To share my perspective on how to navigate playing the trumpet to the best of my ability. To preserve and champion high art, artistic integrity, and musical standards of excellence. To instill the necessities of dedication, discipline, hard work, and sacrifice. To reinvigorate the importance and appreciation for live instrumental music."

Things I remind myself of often -

'Mumble rap sucks. Be better.'
'Music is being destroyed. Do something about it'
'What an absolute waste if I do not use this talent for no reason.'
'Do not waste what you have to offer'
'You live this life once. Make it worth something.'
"If it means something to you, do it.'
'The 9-5 is not for me'
"To have have fun, to learn, to improve. To share my perspective on how to navigate playing the trumpet to the best of my ability. To preserve and champion high art, artistic integrity, and live instrumental music."

-TheHighNotes
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the goal for me is to play in an organized ensemble, rather than "gigging." I miss playing in orchestra and wind ensembles.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a lot of the violin forums also, and that's an interesting field because orchestral careers are super hard to get (akin to being an NFL player) but then many people work in gig work (lessons, weddings, etc.) or play at a higher level in amateur orchestras or work in a music career that's not performance focused (music ed, admin, etc.).

I think the same options are more or less open to you. You could probably be semi-professional playing in an ensemble or band.

I will also say that the non-professionals are often the happiest, because they can play when they want, can afford twenty thousand instruments, etc. Working in IT and playing 10 hours a week sounds like a pretty good plan to me.

You're in a good spot and it's just figuring out how important time, $, and prestige are to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: