• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any one know, or know of, Russ Iverson?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Any one know, or know of, Russ Iverson? Reply with quote

Periodically, I look for a bio on him (not tune listings) and current information but come up short. He played with Buddy Rich and was active in the Chicago area. Went to North Texas. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ was seriously injured in a motorcycle crash in the 1980s, and no longer plays. Not sure if he is still with us, at this point.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! Thanks for responding. Russ was my best friend our first year at North Texas. I've never known anyone who was more religious about practicing and playing. This must have been terrible for him.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Russ Iverson Reply with quote

I studied with Russ for a while when I lived in Chicago. I used to see him playing in the big band (Dave Remington) at the Wise Fools Pub on Lincoln Ave as well as with a small fusion group that he led. He was among the top players in town and a 1st call studio musician along with Bobby Lewis, Art Hoyle, and John Howell. I heard about the accident which left him a paraplegic. I moved to Florida in '82 and lost track of him.

In '87 I opened my own repair/pro shop in Tampa with a partner. One day Russ came rolling in with his dad who had retired to Zephyrhills. They brought in some horns and mouthpieces to sell. The last I heard he was living with a lady over on the Pinellas coast. It's been ten or fifteen years since I heard anything further.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ed.

When you first wrote "paraplegic" and then later that he visited your shop, do you mean that he regained his motor skills?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
billbenj

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Russ Iverson Reply with quote

I knew Russ in Chicago in the 70s and 80s primarily through his work with The Forefront (4 trumpets and rhythm) and the Dave Remington Big Band that worked several years on Monday nights at the Wise Fools Pub in Chicago. I remember Russ' motorcycle accident well because it happened just a year or two after my brother suffered a spinal cord injury in 1983. I visited Russ at Evanston Hospital on one occasion but lost track of him sometime after that. Ed Kennedy is correct. Russ was a first call guy along with players Ed mentioned as well as people like George Bean, Matty Marshack and Bobby Ojeda (who left Chicago in the early 80s to go on the road with the Basie band). I sure hope Russ is doing okay.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bill.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Thanks, Ed.

When you first wrote "paraplegic" and then later that he visited your shop, do you mean that he regained his motor skills?

He was in a wheelchair, had use of arms and hands to propel himself. He told me he had no sensation from his gut down.
deniston

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject: Russ Iverson Reply with quote

I was friends with Russ Iverson's brother Randy. All three of us were in the same high school Homewood-Flossmoor in Flossmoor, IL. Randy and I were class of 1965 and Russ was 1964. He was a solo performer with the band during an assembly and was really good.

Russ unfortunately committed suicide in late 80's or early 90's from what I remember. Randy passed away about 7 years ago.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first year at North Texas, he was my best friend. Spent Christmas that year with him and his family. This is so sad but thank you for the information. Rest well, my friend. 💔

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
tnnisfan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Russ Iverson Reply with quote

Andy & all,
I remember a Russ Iverson from 1962 high school days. Russ and I were part of a small combo band in Homewood-Flossmoor, Illinois. I attended neighboring Rich East HS. Russ played trumpet, myself sax, Terry Weiss drums, Larry Wright trombone, Bob Waldrup (sp?) was in it. In the late 1960s I played keyboards in rock group on Chicago's N State St. Larry and his younger brother Greg Wright later formed and toured as the Wright Brothers and then I think the Sundowners. idk what Russ and Terry later did in music.
Doug Kincaid
Nashville
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: