• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Piccolo practice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Piccolo practice Reply with quote

My chops are finally starting to come back enough to get the picc out and put in some face time on it, but alas, my apartment is tiny enough that ALL practice must be muted.
What picc practice mutes would you recommend, and why?
Thanks!
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None. The only useful time for one of these might be in a performance with a long long break before playing. Think of the messiah and the 25 minute wait to start playing.

Find a place to practice without a mute. The detrimental effects of that mute far outweigh the benefits!
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Andy said, it's hard enough as it is. Try playing into a closet full of clothes, or even piled up on a chair or something, directed away from neighboring walls, and not too early or too late.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Places that I've practiced while living in a small apartment:

1. A park
2. Your car
3. A church that you're friendly with
4. College practice room
5. In my apartment -- make nice with the neighbors and figure something out
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at the end of developing a piccolo practice mute similar to my very popular trumpet practice mute.
If you'd like to participate in testing it, send me a message either here or via my website/social media.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s not quite a practice mute, but trumcor makes an excellent piccolo cup mute. It’s one of my favorites… too bad I almost never get to use it. Haven’t tried their picc practice mute…
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the shhmute. It's pretty good. I live in an apartment and try to do some of the boring work on mute or mouthpiece and then play open lyrically. The shhmute will also work with the CB mini pocket trumpet (Trent Austin has a video of it up somewhere).
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practicing with a mute only really works if you perform with the same mute.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP asked for a practice mute recommendation, not for reasons not to use a practice mute.

Do any of you live in tiny apartments with thin walls in big cities? There's no car, no campus practice room, no (free) church sanctuary, etc. Where I am it's totally unacceptable to play a loud instrument in a park (the local parks are surrounded by high rises). Maybe these options are readily available in Columbus or Dallas, but Tokyo, London, (San Diego) etc. are different stories.

OP, I would just buy several mutes and work your way through them. Practice mutes have improved *a lot* in the last twenty years. It looks like Trumcor does make a stealth mute and best brass has a practice mute too. I would take Divitt up on the offer. It would be great to hear from someone who has played on them. For me the Bremner/Shhhmmute one is very doable. You have to be careful not to over blow, but that's already true on piccolo.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the sshh mutes for bass trumpet, flugel, and trumpet and would not hesitate to use a sshh picc mute.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
TheHighNotes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
None. The only useful time for one of these might be in a performance with a long long break before playing. Think of the messiah and the 25 minute wait to start playing.

Find a place to practice without a mute. The detrimental effects of that mute far outweigh the benefits!

+1 as they say.
"To have have fun, to learn, to improve. To share my perspective on how to navigate playing the trumpet to the best of my ability. To preserve and champion high art, artistic integrity, and live instrumental music."

-TheHighNotes
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to travel, I'm often forced to practice with a practice mute. Sometimes when I have upcoming picc gigs, I have to practice picc with a practice mute. I don't like it, but you can make it work. I would not want to do that on a regular basis.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the closet with the winter coats and aim your bell into that.

I never got any noise complaints when I practiced that way; I immediately got noise complaints when I played into any room when I lived in an apartment.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
OP asked for a practice mute recommendation, not for reasons not to use a practice mute.

Do any of you live in tiny apartments with thin walls in big cities? There's no car, no campus practice room, no (free) church sanctuary, etc. Where I am it's totally unacceptable to play a loud instrument in a park (the local parks are surrounded by high rises). Maybe these options are readily available in Columbus or Dallas, but Tokyo, London, (San Diego) etc. are different stories.

OP, I would just buy several mutes and work your way through them. Practice mutes have improved *a lot* in the last twenty years. It looks like Trumcor does make a stealth mute and best brass has a practice mute too. I would take Divitt up on the offer. It would be great to hear from someone who has played on them. For me the Bremner/Shhhmmute one is very doable. You have to be careful not to over blow, but that's already true on piccolo.

+1
Thanks for actually understanding what i said.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This news just in from a Facebook posting...

https://www.realmute.com/?fbclid=IwAR3nqib9KASEJGmhYBYcaGEhkRR3mkn0V40V-FM9wCHPnmx_Nj2dKZxiVRQ

The Sound Barrier...for only $119 USD.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
I would take Divitt up on the offer. It would be great to hear from someone who has played on them.

I do have a regular need for a quiet(er) warmup/practice, especially during my regular church gig, often Prelude with a very long break, then Postlude. I have a practice mute preference for my Bb playing, Silent Brass (sans electronics) but only when necessary and because that's what I already have! To date have only briefly played piccolo for a very short few moments using a colleague's Best Brass Piccolo Practice Mute, not enough for a real evaluation or recommendation.

I took Ewan Divitt up on his most gracious offer and have received and begun to evaluate his new Piccolo Trumpet Practice mute. I will post follow-up feedback once I have had some time using this mute and communicated with Ewan.

Life is Short, find the Joy in it!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: