• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A Tumultus, an Estrema and a CD Copper3/9 walk into a bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbodine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: A Tumultus, an Estrema and a CD Copper3/9 walk into a bar Reply with quote

I have on loan an AR Estrema. I am comparing it to my new Tumultus (Bohme) and my fairly new Charles Davis 3/9 w Copper bell. (I'd add a pic but can't figure out how.) Interesting comparison

PLAYABILITY: The Charles Davis#3 bell is 5" so it plays with trpt - like resistance. It is a focused sound so you don't feel that you have to work harder than usual. It slots great and plays very well in tune.
The Tumultus5 1/4" bell is a more open blow. This horn slots like MAD! And VERY in tune! Less focused sound so I don't like it on loud gigs (big band or R&B) even w a mic cause I (and surrounding players) can't hear it as well.
AR Estrema 5 3/4" bell blows similar to the Tumultus. I'll play it on a quintet gig tomorrow for more info.
SOUND: Let me preface by saying I am seeking a phat (fat) trumpet sound..not a flugel. I recorded all 3 and listened back.
The Biggest, fattest sound of the 3 is the Tumultus. The Charles Davis and AR sound similar to each other and less phat that the T
SUMMATION I gotta have both the Tumultus and the CD 3/9 copper. The Tumultus for sound and the CD #3/9 copper for playability. and also..they're both paid for!! Great horns all
nick8801
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d love to hear more about the Estrema when you play it more. I play AR mouthpieces, and I’m really considering one of his horns one day!
bbodine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick I'm sending the Estrema back to Thompson Music. It's a great horn but a tad too much flugel in the sound for me. It's heavy but fun to play! Bb
nick8801
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha…kinda surprised you find it heavy. I’ve heard Antonio say it’s on the lighter side. Maybe that’s just compared to other “big” horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: