• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

GR Bb vs C models

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheHighNotes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: GR Bb vs C models Reply with quote

So I play a GR that originally was for my Bb trumpet setup but now play 99% C trumpet. The problem is that I am starting to really notice the imbalance, in particular sound and resistance in the upper register. I am trying to make due with a bored out Bach Artisan 1 1/2b (which is great, but by every metric the GR is better to my ears, it's just tight in the upper register. Or rather, is not broad enough and loud dynamic extremes are also tough).

Do you just go with the 'C' version of what you played on Bb?
I'm assuming it is just a bit more open than the Bb counterpart.

I'm kind of past the whole 'tinkering' with equipment thing and just want to play. I just want to set it and forget it.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally, you need a new consultation. A different horn usually requires a different mouthpiece. This is true even if you change to a new Bb from the old one. It's a matter of balance.

If you don't have a consultant, call or email Brian through the GR website.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
Charlie Jones

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based off my experience with GR mouthpieces, it sounds like yes, you'd probably be best off using the "C" version of your Bb piece. When GR has a matched set of a B and a C mouthpiece, the C version has a more opened throat entrance, and sometimes a more open bore size. Since you still get your best sound on your GR on C trumpet, that's a good indicator that you don't need something completely different, just something that's a little more open. This was my experience when I played the GR 66.8 series: I got basically the same sound out of the both of them, but the C version improved the broadness of upper register on my C trumpet, and the B version improved the clarity of lower register on my Bb. Hope that helps!
TheHighNotes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a longtime player of GR mouthpieces, I'm curious that I cannot find a mention of a "matched set" of C trumpet and Bb trumpet mouthpieces anywhere on the GR site. I agree in general that all other things equal, a larger bore might be better for a C trumpet, but does it say this or anything about C trumpets anywhere on the site?

The "C" series mouthpieces are still for Bb trumpets, yes?

Thanks.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riojazz wrote:
As a longtime player of GR mouthpieces, I'm curious that I cannot find a mention of a "matched set" of C trumpet and Bb trumpet mouthpieces anywhere on the GR site. I agree in general that all other things equal, a larger bore might be better for a C trumpet, but does it say this or anything about C trumpets anywhere on the site?

Thanks.

Yes. It's a matter of matching a player and mouthpiece to each individual instrument, regardless of pitch/key.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
Charlie Jones

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riojazz wrote:

Thanks.

Correct, GR's standard line doesn't necessarily have dedicate Bb/C mouthpieces: I'm primarily referring to the 66.8, 66.9, and 67.4 series that use different cups from the standard line (more closely inspired by traditional designs), and do in fact have dedicated C/Bb versions. Also, in the standard line cup descriptions on GR's website, it'll often say whether people tend to prefer something on Bb or C, in addition to suggestions of mouthpieces that could pair well together (for instance, L&VC, VB&VC, or LX&CX). That's not to say that it's a perfect system, as a consultation may find something different to be true for the specific player and their horns, but it could be a good starting place for someone in the OP's position.
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Jones, thanks for that info. I'll take another look.
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Jones wrote:
Riojazz wrote:

Thanks.

Correct, GR's standard line doesn't necessarily have dedicate Bb/C mouthpieces: I'm primarily referring to the 66.8, 66.9, and 67.4 series that use different cups from the standard line (more closely inspired by traditional designs), and do in fact have dedicated C/Bb versions. Also, in the standard line cup descriptions on GR's website, it'll often say whether people tend to prefer something on Bb or C, in addition to suggestions of mouthpieces that could pair well together (for instance, L&VC, VB&VC, or LX&CX). That's not to say that it's a perfect system, as a consultation may find something different to be true for the specific player and their horns, but it could be a good starting place for someone in the OP's position.

Agree. I've been using a 66M or 66M-B on Bb and a 66L or 66MX on C trumpet.....these "combinations" seem to work well. The #3 backbore and larger cup volume & throat entrance on the 66L and 66MX make a big difference.

Even between the 66M and 66M-B there's a big difference in the throat entrance.....I use the 66M for classical and the M-B for commercial.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
TheHighNotes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riojazz wrote:

Thanks.

I was fitted to a 66Q*B on a regular Bach 37 years ago. I have poked around a bit and there is infact a 66Q*C version, which I presume is more balanced for a C, which is why I started this thread. I assume there are a few 'matched sets' (similar to what Monette does) out there but are not widely known.

(My picc piece is a 65 P-M, although I just bought it because it was available, I wasn't fitted for it. Sounds good, but haven't safaried a picc piece yet)
"To have have fun, to learn, to improve. To share my perspective on how to navigate playing the trumpet to the best of my ability. To preserve and champion high art, artistic integrity, and live instrumental music."

-TheHighNotes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: