• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What makes a "comeback" player?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: What makes a "comeback" player? Reply with quote

Hello, I am interested in some of the demographics of those who frequent this sub-forum. Specifically:

1) What is your age?
2) When did you start playing trumpet, when did you stop and how long have you been "back at it?"
3) What is different in your life now to bring you back to the instrument?
4) Have you gained additional music skills in the meantime?

Thank you for all your responses. It's much appreciated.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) What is your age? 78.

2) When did you start playing trumpet? 12
- includes professional French Horn performance, also.

when did you stop? 26

how long have you been "back at it? 6 years (?)

Loss of left-hand strength and coordination due to major strokes. Eliminated playing French Horn and Woodwinds.

Of course. Learning music is like trying to uncover a pyramid buried in sand. Looks little in the beginning and the deeper you go, the bigger it gets.

n.b. The huge time-gap between when I stopped and re-started playing is trumpet-specific, only. The gap was filled with professional woodwind playing, composing and conducting.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I’ll start off.

1) just approaching 50
2) started in 1979/1980 and stopped in 2003 because I needed and wanted to dedicate all my energy to my job. I knew what I wanted professionally and competition was extremely hard. Been back in 2014.
3) everything is different: permanent job, family, … you name it (new horns 😎)
4) Yes! Changed my embouchure, can now play much higher with a much cleaner articulation, understand intonation much better, been learning jazz impro and other impro (such as Balkan style 7/8 music) as well. Rediscovered playing classical music as opposed to just listening. Added low brass, still learn to read bass clef, been invited to sub in local ensembles, practice much more efficiently, …
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) What is your age? 66

2) When did you start playing trumpet, when did you stop and how long have you been "back at it?" Started 4th grade. Played through a few years of college adding french horn to the mix. Changed majors and stopped playing. Started again around 2013. Retired from work in 2015.

3) What is different in your life now to bring you back to the instrument? Trying to find time to practice while working was very difficult. After retiring it is like music in an almost full time job.

4) Have you gained additional music skills in the meantime? I wanted every opportunity to play, so in addition to trumpet/cornet, I reacquired the french horn skill, added baritone/euphonium and now tuba to the mix. So now there's three jazz bands where any of those may be needed and community band where it is just euphonium.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) What is your age? Mid-60s

2) When did you start playing trumpet, when did you stop and how long have you been "back at it?" Started at 10 (5th grade), stopped at 16. Bought a new horn 9 years ago when my son started playing French horn (he has since quit, I have not).

3) What is different in your life now to bring you back to the instrument? I am pursuing the horn on my own terms rather than those of a high school band director for whom his way or the highway was the only way.

4) Have you gained additional music skills in the meantime? Yes, many...better range, faster articulation, acceptable blues improv skills. Much better theory knowledge.
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I am not a Comeback player, I am a Trying it again player.

1) What is your age?

2) When did you start playing trumpet, when did you stop and how long have you been "back at it?"
Started at 10
Stopped at 18
Spent 42 studying engineering, getting a few degrees, getting married,
raising kids, working, paying bills, etc. etc. etc.
Started again at 60, so 3 years.

Hopefully some maturity (don't ask my wife to chime in on this one)
Free time now that the kids are gone

Nope. Nothing. Bought a lot of woodworking tools, tho.

What is different is that I REALLY want to play well at this age. Which is why I searched out a good teacher.

Mike

PS I like your survey topic a lot! Unless you're using to identify people that might need to buy cemetery plots, walk in bathtubs, etc.
Yamaha 631 Flugel
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mid-late 40s and played ages 11-18.

I bought a couple of used trumpets several years ago and began playing again. I play at church and have played in a community band.

I just really enjoy brass and have also started learning euphonium and trombone. I can transpose and have a better command of range. I'm still very much an amateur.

I tell people that for me it's three hobbies: the music, the playing, and the gear.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What makes a "comeback" player? Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
1) What is your age?

I'm 61.

I started trumpet in school in the 5th grade though I first tooted on a neighbor's horn a year or two before. I played into college but quickly dropped out. I continued in a dance band until Disco faded then started playing keys more. When I quit that band I fell out of music for a decade.

After my decade off I found that although I enjoyed playing keyboard, I really missed playing a wind instrument. I restarted, found a few bands then got my very first lessons. Since then I've played a huge range of genres.

I now play trumpet, flugel, picc, and just a little C and cornet. I'm also reasonably capable on the French horn. I continue to play piano and synth as needed, mostly for musical theater. I also do a fair bit of arranging. I even conducted a production of Music Man.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I was not expecting such rapid, fantastic results.

I ask these questions because I am planning on starting a "comeback trumpet player" blog. I'm not entirely sure what the idea will be, but I would love to follow some people's "journeys."
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) What is your age?
3 weeks from my 71st B'day.

My Dad gave me my first trumpet the summer before 5th grade (a used LA Olds Mendez). I played through college, Army Band, then weekend warrior with a working 16 pc band (small Big Band for 12 years), 4 horn Latin band, Rock and Roll horn bands (one for 10 years) and taking pickup gigs with the OJays (thank you Harry!) and Temptations (thank you Dr. Croom!) even getting to perform with Tito Puente once (thank you Jorge`) among others, finally stopping in 2000 to secure retirement from my very full time retail management day gig.

When my Wife got very sick, I took early retirement to be her full time dedicated caregiver in summer 2014 and started playing again a few weeks after retirement as a diversion, at first less than an hour a day, but that expanded quickly. My wife encouraged me to get involved in as many public performance situations as I could, which became much like a full time job with rehearsals and weekend gigs. My wife was at many rehearsals and traveled with me as long as she was able. She passed away in January 2021.

Before my Wife passed I put together many 100+ days practice strings of at least an hour often going into several hours. My longest daily practice streak, 848 days, ended in early June of this year when I had heart surgery. I took a very short time off to recover and am now on day 51 of this string. I AM a creature of daily habit and have expanded my practice and performance routine to include high trumpets for public performance.

At best I am an enthusiastic amateur (a man's got to know his limitations) but I have gained more insight and consistent all around ability including, for the first time in my life, "classical" skills (transposition in particular) than at anytime in my life. I really enjoy public performance and pursue that end with diligent practice. I am still retired and fill my days much smarter than when I was younger.

Life is Short, find the Joy in it!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
SSmith1226
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) What is your age? 73
2) When did you start playing trumpet, when did you stop and how long have you been "back at it?" Started agr 8, quit at 22 due to professional obligations. I resumed at 67 when I cut back on my work hours.
3) What is different in your life now to bring you back to the instrument? Partial retirement in 2016 and full retirement in 2020. I enjoy playing with musical ensembles. I now enjoy the challenge to improve through practice. During my playing years through age 22, organized practice was not important to me. Practice, bands, and orchestras now fill my empty time.
4) Have you gained additional music skills in the meantime? In addition to the above I dabble with other instruments including Flugelhorn, Cornet, Bass Trumpet, Piccolo Trumpet, F Mellophone, French Horn, Corno da Cassia, and EWI. I also have taught myself to produce remote collaborative musical video and audio recordings, multitrack self recordings etc.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) What is your age?

Started in in elementary school and played through high school. Been "back" about 7 years.

Watched movie Whiplash - "The real Charlie Parker would never get discouraged".......still waiting for him to show up.

Actually it was retiring from the Navy and kids getting older. (submarines and brass instruments don't go well together, or at least I didnt think so at the time)

Took jazz guitar lessons and attempted to play guitar. Started collecting Jazz Cd's and listening to Jazz. Not sure if those are skills but they kept me from totally disengaging from music when I wasnt playing.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
taswalb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: What makes a "comeback" player? Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
Hello, I am interested in some of the demographics of those who frequent this sub-forum. Specifically:

1) What is your age?

4th grade - played through HS - played Baritone in HS marching band but continued to play my Trumpet - started playing Trumpet in a wedding band my JR year in HS - continued for 5 years after HS.

I'm retired - have wanted to start playing again several times over the years. Decided to try it. If I can't get my lip back well enough to play in a community band I may try a comeback on the Baritone.

Not really.

Thank you for all your responses. It's much appreciated.

Yamaha Allegro 5335 G
Mouthpieces Bach 3C, Yamaha 14B4 GP, Bach 7C
raynjtrumpet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I am 74, soon to be 75.

2) I started playing (cornet) at 8 years old, in third grade. I was a serious player through grade-school, high-school and college, eventually working my way to first chair in all of the bands and orchestras I played with, and made All-State band and orchestra in high school. My high school teacher wanted me to be a music major, but I was reluctant because I knew that I wasn't as good as my predecessors (two of whom got full ride scholarships and played first chair at Oberlin). So I decided to major in engineering, and had a successful career in communications technology. Luckily, I worked at a place that encouraged employees to join various clubs to pursue outside interests, and I joined the Jazz Band club, which had a 14 to 16-piece band playing charts from Ellington, Basie, Buddy Rich, Maynard Ferguson, etc., and I was able to keep up a pretty good level of ability with their weekly rehearsals and some work at home. I also played regularly for my church and with occasional events like community theater groups. About 15 or 20 years later, the work situation began to change, and management adopted a "focus on the job" attitude, eliminating all of the employee clubs. I continued to play at church, but less frequently each year. My playing partner, with whom I did a lot of duets, became a "snow bird" and was now in Florida half the year, and I just wasn't finding opportunities to play enough to stay interested. Finally, about 4 years ago I had a mild heart attack, and found that I didn't have the physical ability to play for awhile. After that, I played basically not at all for a couple of years. During the pandemic, however, I found myself looking for things to do to stay entertained at home, and decided to start playing again. I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it, and had to wonder why I ever stopped! I've now been playing almost every day for 1-2 hours for more than 18 months. I have started playing again at church, and have been looking for a community group to join, though I haven't found the right opportunity yet.

3) The biggest difference in my life now is that, as a retiree, I have time available to put in a lot of effort. Coming back is not easy. Even though I only quit completely for a couple of years, I had been gradually reducing my playing for probably more than two decades, and my skills had been eroding. Even after 18 months of pretty serous effort, I still feel like I'm not as skilled as my high-school self. But I'm steadily improving, and I find I really enjoy the practice routine. As a side benefit of being an old guy, I have enough disposable income that I can afford goodies to keep myself interested, such as a beautiful new horn (a Thane), a lot of listening material (e. g., Apple Music and streaming access to Jazz at Lincoln Center), Zoom lessons, instructional materials, etc.

4) I had started acquiring new musical skills before I took the step of becoming a dedicated comeback trumpet player. I had learned the basics of guitar in college, but had never done much with it. About 8 years ago, I got interested in that again, and began working hard at it, eventually joining a praise band group that leads singing each week in our church. I found it was easy to stay with my guitar practice, because (coming from almost zero background and skill) I was improving rapidly, and I was able to join a group where the other guitarists were much better than I was, which gave me an incentive to work at it. And as opposed to the trumpet, I could say that "this is the best I've ever been able to play," versus "I'll never be as good as I was when I was 21." Learning guitar has improved my knowledge of chords and musical structure, and now that I also play trumpet regularly again, I find myself especially interested in jazz and improvisation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: