• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Starting over from square 1 on Trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the youtube clip (I could hear but not see you playing) you likely do need improvement to make the OSU band - I'd imagine that EVERY trumpet in that band was a good solid 1st chair HS player, so the competition is tough.

You likely CAN improve, and probably fairly quickly, but it will require you to make some changes and learn new skills. Your basic playing sounded ok, but needs improvement.

If you want to do that then the best route is finding a good local teacher / coach - maybe even a Music Ed or Performance student at OSU.

If you do that, then talk soon with the OSU band people and ask them about the possibility of re-auditioning in case a position in the band becomes available.

Based on the youtube clip, my thoughts are:
- you need to develop a much cleaner initial sound on each note, no fuzziness.
- you need to develop a 'fuller sound' even at low volume (but that might be due to the recording / room, not your playing).
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, are you breathing through your nose on the etude?

The tone sounds quite diffuse and dark, which may not be what they are looking for, instead wanting something brighter and more pure. Of course, that could also be the recording.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you willing to post a video with picture? I've tried on two different computers and all I get is sound.

What it sounds like is you have a weak spot in your embouchure that blows out and doesn't maintain the proper shape. Also, your tongue sounds like you are maintaining a position low in the mouth and aren't getting any lift and support to the sound through an arching of the tongue when ascending.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, practicing for a whole year almost exclusively to prepare for one audition sounds like a really punishing experience and a recipe for feeling under unmanageable pressure when the day finally comes. Are you sure you want to put yourself through that again?

Honestly, I think the best thing you could do at the moment is to look for opportunities to play music with other people on a regular basis without having to pass a competitive audition. I'm pretty sure that the benefits of being an active musician would outweight any compromises to your 're-learning' process. I've made some profound changes in how I play while regularly rehearsing and gigging and so have many, many other people.

Yes, it takes some commitment and determination to make substantial progress on the trumpet but if you're just 'grinding' through it by sheer force of will you're unlikely to get a good return on the blood, sweat and tears you've put in. The joy of making music is an integral part of the process!

I listened to your clip but my thoughts on it would take some time to put in to writing so I'll hold back for now - feel free to PM if you're interested though. I really hope the above is of some help

Mike
donovan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point, Mike. Thanks for making it.

Playing your trumpet in other groups is the best way to gauge the efficacy of your practice, as well.
TheHighNotes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pm'ed ya op.
"To have have fun, to learn, to improve. To share my perspective on how to navigate playing the trumpet to the best of my ability. To preserve and champion high art, artistic integrity, and live instrumental music."

-TheHighNotes
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a guy who peaked out in college. I had played in High School and eventually became lead in the local college stage band. But, it hurt me. I felt an impending hernia and I quit playing.

Some 22 years later, I came to a place in my life where I wanted to play again. It didn't take long to run smack into the same issues I had in school. I decided to take a mental step back and look for another path. I discovered a very basic problem stemming from the wrong embouchure approach and began relearning to play "from scratch."

I decided to change my mental approach, as well. I had never been able to improvise. At all. Deer in the headlights any time it was my turn to play without notes on the page. So, I determined to change that by playing songs I knew and could sing, but without looking at sheet music. I began to play by ear. The only visual references I used were the key signature, the beginning note and any accidentals that I had trouble hearing. Then, I worked the rest out. I changed keys after that.

The reason I'm writing this is because that exercise accessed a part of my brain that I had never used before and it opened up a depth of enjoyment I'd never experienced. Our brain has two sides, biologically. One is analytical. The other is intuitive. When we read music, we use the analytical side. When we improvise, we use the intuitive side. I had never tried to cultivate the intuitive side, because I was afraid to fail. The problem is, all of the art in music comes from the intuitive, or creative brain. If we only use the analytical brain, we never arrive at music. We play notes. Eventually, we tire, we burn out, we get disillusioned, because no matter how good our notes become, there is no music.

You are at a place in your growth where you need to make changes. Maybe they're fundamental ones, maybe not. But, I sense a certain bondage in what you write. I think I see other things that are robbing you of the joy of music. Maybe, it's fear of missing out, or fear of failure. I don't really know. It just seems to me that it might be time to ask yourself, "Why am I dong this?"

I hope you find that you really do love creating music. I hope that your music can just be music and that you can let go of the program. The creative path has more of a chance to land you where you want to go, in my opinion.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, Brian. Where's the like or plus one button?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Mnc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Shofarguy is right...something needs to change. It may be minor, it may be major but unless that happens no different results can be expected.
While your current teacher has helped you it is time for a different set of eyes and ears, and probably approach to the issue or issues that are holding you back.
LyonLover

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ii

Last edited by LyonLover on Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:07 pm; edited 9 times in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't find one locally, SKYPR:

Pops McLaughlin
http://www.bbtrumpet.com

Eric Bolvin
http://www.bolvinmusic.com/music-lessons/

Bobby Shew
http://www.bobbyshew.com/main.html?pgid=5

Trent Austin
http://austincustombrass.com
http://trentaustinmusic.com

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents: I would be cautious about making sweeping changes based on the outcome of one audition. If you have good reason to believe they're telling you something you need to hear, that's one thing, but if it's basically an outlier and your teacher thinks you're generally on track, I would pay attention to what they say, but not go crazy unless you keep getting feedback that's consistent with what they said.

There are lots of people with extreme views, or who are having bad days, or who just plain make mistakes or have bad judgment who can lead you badly astray if you take the opinions of random strangers, regardless of the positions they hold.

Definitely don't ignore it, but don't go crazy unless you and your teacher agree with what they're saying.
LyonLover

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
My two cents: I would be cautious about making sweeping changes based on the outcome of one audition. If you have good reason to believe they're telling you something you need to hear, that's one thing, but if it's basically an outlier and your teacher thinks you're generally on track, I would pay attention to what they say, but not go crazy unless you keep getting feedback that's consistent with what they said.

There are lots of people with extreme views, or who are having bad days, or who just plain make mistakes or have bad judgment who can lead you badly astray if you take the opinions of random strangers, regardless of the positions they hold.

Definitely don't ignore it, but don't go crazy unless you and your teacher agree with what they're saying.

iii

Last edited by LyonLover on Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:12 pm; edited 5 times in total
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Prestage wrote:

Yes, it takes some commitment and determination to make substantial progress on the trumpet but if you're just 'grinding' through it by sheer force of will you're unlikely to get a good return on the blood, sweat and tears you've put in. The joy of making music is an integral part of the process! (emphasis mine, cbtj51)
Mike

Life is Short, find the Joy in it!
(Emphasis mine!)

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LyonLover wrote:
here is a video of my playing https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xWL2L4q7N1c

What is it you're playing - is it part of your band audition?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
LyonLover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
LyonLover wrote:

no

Last edited by LyonLover on Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not an answer to some of your fundamental problems, but a practical. work-around.

The upper-register runs are surprising after our inauspicious beginning. The opening can automatically prejudice the listener for what follows.

Have you considered using alternate fingerings in the beginning to make some of the intervallic changes smoother?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LyonLover wrote:
Robert P wrote:
LyonLover wrote:

yep, part of the tryout sheet

I would slow down as much as you need to play it cleanly and slowly build up speed keeping clean playing with a solid, supported sound and rhythmic accuracy as your priorities.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Trumpet players
Great thread here, well done Lyonlover for opening it up with your request for advice. Hope you got something from all these well meaning replies.

Brian writes
Quote:
I decided to change my mental approach, as well. I had never been able to improvise. At all. Deer in the headlights any time it was my turn to play without notes on the page. So, I determined to change that by playing songs I knew and could sing, but without looking at sheet music. I began to play by ear. The only visual references I used were the key signature, the beginning note and any accidentals that I had trouble hearing. Then, I worked the rest out. I changed keys after that.

This is me.. I am not at all creative when I play and never improvise unless it's a way out of a wrong note when performing (performing for me is in the street or on holiday in the harbour) I have always been of the opinion that I am not musical enough or young enough to improvise.

I have maybe 30 tunes I can play without music if I just take one of those tunes..start on a different note and then work out the rest is that going to get me on the development path Brian describes? Sorry for such a basic beginner question..

Cheers and stay safe
Steve -right now in the tiny Italian village of Zoagli....
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LyonLover wrote:

Having listened to you, I don't think there's something wrong with your playing fundamentally. The bones are there (slurs are proper and you have good facility; I can't do much more than that without seeing you). I would be excited to have you as my student because I think you have great potential. BUT --

In my opinion: I don't think you've really listened to a lot of great trumpet players and great musicians; critically listened (then recorded yourself and compared). For me, that's what's holding you back. You don't actually know what good is, otherwise you wouldn't have posted that clip. That's not a shot at your playing, but it is a shot at your awareness of quality. If you have listened a lot, then there is a serious disconnect between what you should be focusing on and what you're actually focusing on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: