• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Custom Crafted 37117 (Lightweight Mendez)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Olds Custom Crafted 37117 (Lightweight Mendez) Reply with quote

Has anyone tried an Olds Custom Crafted 37117 trumpet? I picked up a 1969 P-10 model a while ago. The 37117 version was designed by R. Dale Olson to be a direct copy of an Olds Mendez, but much lighter in weight. The Custom Crafted horns were the top of the Olds line back in the day. In 1967 they listed for $625 while a Mendez cost $525 and a Recording $445. Mine played like a dog at first, but it was in great shape and the previous owner was only asking $125. The valves were badly misaligned. The felts were way too thick. I aligned the valves as best as I could using a boroscope, but it still didn't play right. I recently got a PVA done (by Joe Loeffler, Chicago) and OMG! Now it plays and sounds very much like a good Benge. It's very light, weighing in at 32.1 ounces. A Schilke B-2 that I used to have weighed 33.4 oz. An Olds Custom Crafted may be an option if you are looking for horn that plays like a Mendez/Benge/French Besson. Lesson learned; a PVA can make a huge difference if it's not possible to get all of the valve ports in alignment with the tubes on a horn. An expert would know how to minimize the affect of the offsets.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
JLees

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I just joined because I saw your post. The model you asked about is my current daily rider! I really like this horn. It was gifted to me by a friend who passed from brain cancer and who had also asked me to play taps at his military memorial service. I used his horn for it, and have been playing on it ever since. It replaced my 1961 NY Mt. Vernon Bach. When I got a trumpet, it was a model 37 Bach Strad (1977), which went to a friend. Interesting how the valve stems on this Olds version are noticeably shorter than most other trumpets. The metal is thinner than Bach's but I wonder if you know what is the bore size? Thanks, Julie
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH. My Olds Custom Crafted trumpet is a Model P-10 from 1969. It has a .460 bore and weights 32.1 oz (I measured it). It's the lightest trumpet I have ever played. Olds made several different designs in the Custom Crafted line. The code on the bell indicates the design of the horn. 37117 is a lightweight Olds Mendez. You can find out how to read the codes on the Olds Central web page. I also have a M bore 1948 Chicago Benge that weighs 35.6 oz. My Olds Custom Crafted plays a lot like the Benge after I got the PVA.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Olds Reply with quote

Hello all.
My early 70's Schilke B3 weighs in at 2 lbs 1 oz. It is my lightest horn.
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my Olds Custom Crafted at 2 lbs 0.1 oz is almost a full oz lighter than your Schilke B3. My mid 70's Schilke B-2 weighted in at 2 lbs 1.4 oz. The Olds reminded me of the Schilke in a way. Both are on the bright side.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: