• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reinhardt for Beginners?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Reinhardt for Beginners? Reply with quote

This might appear as passive-aggressive but it's not. Simple enquiry. I got a copy of Reinhardt for Beginners and I wonder what's Reinhardt about it?

Don't misunderstand, it's a good of exercises and probably would help anyone. But I couldn't see anything Reinhardt-specific about it. What don't I see? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you expect?

The description of the book from this website -
https://www.boptism.com/boptism-music-store/reinhardt-beginners-trumpet-cornet-flugelhorn-donald-s-reinhardt/

says -
"Comprised of mostly exercises and etudes with very little text (compared to Doc’s later works), this book is a welcome addition to the libraries of brass players and brass teachers everywhere."

If there is written text in the book that says (or alludes to)
'pay attention to the physical aspects of what you are doing, and how they affect your playing' ?
Is there written text that gives 'basic info' about mouthpiece placement and embouchure use?
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I noticed, Jay. That's why I'm asking.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t looked at this book in quite a while, but I still think I may know the answer to this.

Reinhardt wrote many exercises over the years, and they were often really different. It makes perfect sense, because every brass playing issue must be addressed on a case-by-case basis, taking the individual player’s embouchure, level of development, and strengths and weaknesses into account.

But there was one thing every Reinhardt drill has in common, and that is that they all followed his set of rules. You will never see a Reinhardt drill with a pedal tone in it; not gonna happen. You will not see a Reinhardt routine that involves a long mouthpiece buzzing procedure (he wasn’t dead set against buzzing the mouthpiece, but didn’t assign it). You’re not going to see a Reinhardt drill with lip bends or note bending (that I’ve ever seen, at least), and there are many more factors one could name. Most Reinhardt routines in full address every area of playing: something high, something low, something tongued, something slurred, something loud, something soft. Crescendo while ascending, decrescendo while descending, unless specified to the contrary, musically speaking.

Taking all of this into account, you will notice that everything Reinhardt ever wrote adhered to these rules and many more consistently, and without fail.

Hope this helps you.

Josh
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I think I understand. These exercises are within the parameters of Reinjardt's rules. I was just expecting at least an introduction to what those rules are and how/why they apply. Otherwise, to the casual observer they're just another set of exercises.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Thanks. I think I understand. These exercises are within the parameters of Reinjardt's rules. I was just expecting at least an introduction to what those rules are and how/why they apply. Otherwise, to the casual observer they're just another set of exercises.

Get a copy of the Reinhardt Encyclopedia. That will put the light on a lot of things for you.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reinhardt for Beginners establishes some basic principles to follow regarding how to play and what/how to practice. There is advice regarding pivot, posture, avoiding strain, mouthpiece, etc. There is emphasis on articulation patterns and key fluency, etc. That is all consistent with more advanced Reinhardt material.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: