• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best way to clean an old mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:52 am    Post subject: Best way to clean an old mouthpiece Reply with quote

I have a whole drawer full of old mouthpieces. Many of them are black holes inside. Whatever germs there may have once been are long dead, and whatever slime and sludge there was has now hardened. Most of them are structurally perfect, but how can you get them completely clean?

I'm guessing it is not truly clean if I simply pass a mouthpiece brush through it a couple of times with lots of Dawn liquid.

What is the best way to scrub the inside and outside down to the metal, to get all buildup off? And at some point is there going to be some natural discoloration that just won't come off?

How about insertion marks? Can you ever get them off?
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ultrasonic cleaner would probably do it. BY hand you might try a mild concentration of CLR or something like that after the Dawn and brush method. Tarnish will require some extra work, either a good tarnish polish, or try the baking soda method (search -- place them on an Al pan in a vat of hot water and baking soda).

Insertion marks are scratches; they could be buffed out and the mouthpieces replated if need be, but I would ignore them.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultra sonic seems like a good idea. Maybe I could take the whole bunch of them to the music store to do all in one batch.

How about chemical/acid bath at the repair shop? Would that do it?
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
Ultra sonic seems like a good idea. Maybe I could take the whole bunch of them to the music store to do all in one batch.

How about chemical/acid bath at the repair shop? Would that do it?

Probably, but if there's a lot of grunge built up it will take brushing or other mechanical work (perhaps via ultrasound) to really clean it. A chemical bath may not penetrate all the layers... But if you are taking them to a tech s/he should handle the job for you. Get a quote first.

Some people have a little home ultrasonic cleaner for jewelry that works well for cleaning mouthpieces as well.
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:

Some people have a little home ultrasonic cleaner for jewelry that works well for cleaning mouthpieces as well.

$30-$40 bucks or so on Amazon. I just tried one yesterday for the first time and was very impressed with the results.
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 50 -50 water and CLR. Soak over night, brush and clean in and out. Light polish.

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
deanoaks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the above would work fine. Ultrasonic machine would be the best. When I was in undergrad, people bought these little desktop jewelry ultrasonic machine for relatively cheap to clean out mouthpieces. Alternatively, you could ask your repair tech to throw them in the tank for you when you go in to get your next cleaning.

If you're trying to disinfect at home without the ultrasonic, you should be able to use a mouthpiece brush with hot + soapy water. Maybe give it a few passes and top off by cleaning them with isopropyl alcohol if you want to cover all the bases.

This is going to sound bizarre, but I use this method about twice a year on some of my mouthpieces that start to tarnish. Get a large bowl and cover the inside with tin foil. Put the mouthpieces on top of the foil and then cover the mouthpieces with baking soda. You can be pretty generous with the amount your pour on. Then, cover all the mouthpieces with near-boiling water. I set my kettle to about 185 degrees. Let the soup marinate your mouthpieces for 5-10 minutes or so. Throughly rinse and then clean your mouthpieces (carefully, they will burn your hands) and you should see a good majority of the tarnish clear off.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the dishwasher. If there are deposits in the shank that won't come off in the dishwasher, try and find a small brass wire brush. Not steel. This will get out the hardened deposits in the shank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: