• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mp suggestion for Conn Constellation 28A long cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shebulba

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Mp suggestion for Conn Constellation 28A long cornet Reply with quote

Hello!

I have a great condition 1955 Conn Constellation 28A long cornet on the way home to me that I'm looking forward to try very much! As i understand it's quite mouthpiece sensitive and has a broad sound pallette depending on the mp used.

I am though a bit confused with the fact that it's made to use short shank mouthpieces and what I've have understood there at not as many of those to choose from when buying mouthpieces today? It's being delivered with a (original?) Conn 4 short shank mouthpieces that to my understanding is rather good, so it's a good start.

I have read quite a bit but it's still a bit confusing. So I wonder, what brands do make short shanks mps I can use with this horn and what is a good suggestion for a short shank mp that would make this instrument sound more like a trumpet? I would like to have the options to make the horn blend in well in different situations.

The world of cornet mouthpieces is overall a bit confusion for me (foremost a trumpet player) so any guidance overall iin this world would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time!

Regards
Henrik
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not short shank
Regular Bach size shank and length
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Shebulba

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply.

I don't really understand though. Everything I've read has got me thinking that short shank mps is what the horn plays best with, can you elaborate on what you mean with regular Bach size shank and length to a cornet novice?

Thanks!
Hüttl Premier Superior (1950-60)
romajore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven’t already, check out the Conn Loyalist. This article is about the long and short of cornet mouthpieces.

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnArticle34.html

I’ve owned a few mid-1950s to early 1960s Conn cornets and some worked with a standard Bach cornet mouthpiece, but others worked way better with a Conn Cornet mouthpiece or a cornet piece with a Conn 4 mouthpiece taper. You need to try once you have the horn in hand. The Conn 28A is a great horn.

Good Luck.
Shebulba

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you romajore, I will read up on that site once more.

Sounds like it's a bit trial and error then, but it's gonna be fun and still a lot to learn about mouthpieces.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mp suggestion for Conn Constellation 28A long cornet Reply with quote

Shebulba wrote:
I am though a bit confused with the fact that it's made to use short shank mouthpieces and what I've have understood there at not as many of those to choose from when buying mouthpieces today?

According to the "Conn Loyalist" website, 1955-1957 was a period of transition for Conn cornets with respect to mouthpiece shank compatibility; some Conn cornets from that era work fine with what is now the standard "Bach-style" long shank, while others may favor the older "short shank" style (as romajore has already stated). The Conn "short shank" design is basically obsolete, which is why such mouthpieces are hard to find. You can find Conn cornet mouthpieces on eBay; regardless of number, they will probably be "short shank" if they are referred to as "Precision" (as opposed to "Improved Precision" or "Connstellation"). You can read more about that here:

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnMpcImprPrecision.html

Shebulba wrote:
So I wonder, what brands do make short shanks mps I can use with this horn and what is a good suggestion for a short shank mp that would make this instrument sound more like a trumpet?

Mark Curry (Curry Precision Mouthpieces) offers his cornet mouthpieces with the Conn-style short shank for an extra $20. However, his standard cornet cup designs are oriented toward various styles of cornet sound rather than making a cornet sound like a trumpet. His cornet mouthpiece page is here:

https://www.currympc.com/Cornet-Mouthpieces.html

I am sure that Mark could make you a short shank cornet mouthpiece that uses one of his trumpet cup/throat/backbore designs so that your 28A would sound very much like a trumpet, but it would be a custom order with a rather high price tag.

Since Bach cornet mouthpieces come in many of the same cup designs as Bach trumpet mouthpieces, trying one of those would be a far cheaper first step. Once you get your horn, you could just take it to a music store that stocks Bach mouthpieces and try some in the store. If they don't play as well as the Conn 4 that's coming with the horn, you will know for sure that "short shank" is the way to go.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some kind of the same problem with my 80A which I prefer to play with a trumpet mp. Some of these old Conns have already worn receivers cause of abuse with Bach tapered mouthpieces. If not the Bach taper (and langth) aint right.
Indeed Mark Curry can make you a mp with the right dimensions. My solution was a Jim New made backbore with the Conn short shank taper with Warburton thread so I can use any cup on it. Jim New copied for this the bb of a Conn 4 cornet mp. This is in my experience quite a not to open trumpet bb alike.
He made it in the Kanstul era but I think he will still have the specs. You can find him on the internet as James R. New.
I play my 80A with that bb and an Arturo Warburton cup and I love it.
And maybe Mark Curry can also produce such a bb.

Last edited by delano on Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some mouthpieces have a short shank to solve tuning issues with very deep cups. i.e. Denis Wick mouthpieces have a wide throat and a shorter length to pull the pitch up.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
Some mouthpieces have a short shank to solve tuning issues with very deep cups. i.e. Denis Wick mouthpieces have a wide throat and a shorter length to pull the pitch up.

Conn short shank is just a brand connected dimension before some standardisation was developed. It’s not short shank like DW, it’s longer, if I remember well it’s about 2 1/2 inch.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s a comparative cornet mouthpiece photo I took. Left to right - a Conn 4 Improved Precision, a Conn 4 Precision “short shank”, and a Wick 4B.

Shebulba

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your inputs, I learn a lot from you!

I don't want to ruin the receiver by using long shank mouthpieces so I hope I can manage to get a good short shank I like.

So the wick is even shorter than a Conn short shank mp? I do have two from Wick so it will be interesting to compare them to the Conn 4.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shebulba wrote:
I don't want to ruin the receiver by using long shank mouthpieces so I hope I can manage to get a good short shank I like.

If you confirm that a Conn short shank is the best for your horn, delano's suggestion to order a Conn short shank-style backbore threaded for Warburton tops is a very good idea. You'll be able to try a wide variety of rim/cup/throat combinations without having to worry about the fit of the shank in the receiver.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 28a is tricky mpc wise. I cut off the conn 4 bb and opened it to a 25 throat and it worked well for a while but my playing changed. I then alighted the valves and now the horn feels too open. Love the sound but still have not found the right mpc.
Shebulba

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got my horn today, it's beautiful!

There was this Conn 4 mp with it, but I was surprised to see the lettering of the mp not be vertical on the mp like the short shank models is supposed to be. Instead it's horizontal like a long shank, but it doesn't have the collar the long shank version is supposed to have. So, what type of shank is it? Can anyone tell me from the photo below.

I also got a Caldwell Nylacup 10 1/2C and a Stork Custom Vacchiano 2C mp with the horn. Are those shirt och long shanks?
Beside is my DW RW4B and 3B. They are even shorter, but does that mean that it's a short shank to just because they are shorter?

Thank you!

[img]
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per this article:

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnArticle34.html

Conn "short shank" mouthpieces are 2 and 1/2 inches long, while Conn "long shank" mouthpieces are 2 and 3/4 inches long. If your Conn 4 is 2.5 inches long, it is likely a "short shank". (The orientation of the lettering is not as significant as the absence of the collar.)

You are kind of 'hung up' on the whole "short shank/long shank" terminology thing. A mouthpiece will fit the horn properly if it has the right taper and insertion depth for which the horn was designed. The article I reference above notes that the Conn "short shank" taper is slightly different from most mouthpieces (see the Jim New quote in paragraph 10). So, the other mouthpieces will work in horns designed for the Conn "short shank" taper if they have the same taper. A mouthpiece maker or technician could measure that for you. Beyond that, if the insertion depth works for the horn (it plays with a good tone and stays in pretty good tune throughout the range), then that mouthpiece is a good match for the horn.

Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play the mouthpiece that sounds the best with the horn. Stop worrying about details.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen a Caldwell mouthpiece like that in YEARS. Caldwell was the music store in Abilene TX whose large repair facility became the Reynolds plant (while Reynolds was part of Olds) in the late 60's. I live about 90 miles from there, still. Later, Conn moved its brass assembly there, before sending their manufacturing to Japan, briefly. I think Zig Kanstul took us through the facility when I toured it in June of 1967 while I was at a band camp.

Anyway, in about 1965 or so, they gave some of those mouthpieces to brass section leaders in the area. I think the selling point was that the cups wouldn't freeze to your chops in the late season football games. At least they told me that. We just kept our mouthpieces in our pockets when we weren't playing. I never felt that piece had enough "ZING"!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Shebulba

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
I haven't seen a Caldwell mouthpiece like that in YEARS. Caldwell was the music store in Abilene TX whose large repair facility became the Reynolds plant (while Reynolds was part of Olds) in the late 60's. I live about 90 miles from there, still. Later, Conn moved its brass assembly there, before sending their manufacturing to Japan, briefly. I think Zig Kanstul took us through the facility when I toured it in June of 1967 while I was at a band camp.

Anyway, in about 1965 or so, they gave some of those mouthpieces to brass section leaders in the area. I think the selling point was that the cups wouldn't freeze to your chops in the late season football games. At least they told me that. We just kept our mouthpieces in our pockets when we weren't playing. I never felt that piece had enough "ZING"!

I tried to Google that mouthpiece but didn't find much! Thank you for that little history
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: