• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CG method distinctions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: CG method distinctions? Reply with quote

I have used and been taught from the Claude Gordon (CG) approach but I have a very basic question regarding his "systematic approach". Aren't the materials in the CG approach just a basic repertoire of commonly-used books/exercises with some Maggio thrown in? And the effectiveness isn't so much in CG-originated materials, as in the way they're organized and balanced?

Nothing demeaning intended, just trying to put it in order. It seems to me there's a big difference between the approach Gordon takes, which I take as conservative vs. some other approaches that are obviously method-specific approaches such as Stevens or Reinhardt. The one CG-specific concept I see is in anchor tonguing.

Is there anything CG-specific in his system that is anything more (Maggio and anchor tonging excepted) than the way it's organized?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having taken lessons from a CG teacher I'd say the biggest take away that wasn't KTM or material from other sources was the concept of developing the air power, blowing muscles, etc. Whatever term you want to use. That's why there's a strong emphasis on blowing until empty and beyond.

That was my impression at least...and of course the way the other material is organized and address all of the fundamentals.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Claude's SA was still in manuscript, I was in a handful of trumpet students at North Texas that Claude was running his approach by, for feedback. I distinctly remember his blow until empty (and more, LOL). You're right, that was one technique I had not been introduced to.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the open, free blowing equipment be another component of it?

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The “Long Hold” has been in Herbert L. Claire’s Setting Up Drills book for maybe close to 100 years. The 7 Items Claude lists in Systematic Approach are also in Setting Up Drills.

Claude too Clarke’s ideas and systematized them and wrote very specific routine unlike Clarke that didn’t do that and gave instructions more verbally. Claude did mention studying with Maggio but the Maggio book was written by Carlton MacBeth and Claude expressed to me that he didn’t really have a complete understanding. It’s also worth noting the Maggio made all his students vow to not share their routines. I know where Claude’s routine from Maggio were located before he died but when asking they seem to have been discarded. Clarke did pedals and you can see a fingering chart at the end of his Elementary Studies book that goes from double pedal c to double high c. Clarke never performed above a High F because he didn’t think it sounded good. However, Claude said he once asked Clarke if he could really play a triple c and Clarke grabbed his cornet and played to a triple c and put it away. All those cornet legends could do stuff like that.

There are over 200 hours of audio on my site for anyone to listen to for free. That is probably the best way to get a complete picture directly from what Claude said.
https://www.purtle.com/claude-gordon-archives

I recently posted a series of 4 presentations from my brass conferences that I hope presents a complete picture of how and why to do everything. There is also a YouTube playlist with videos of all the other presentations and performances from the brass conferences. I will be adding more to that playlist.

I hope it is all helpful and practical. I also added chapters so anyone can easily replay various sections. It’s all about practicing and not just sitting around debating theory about how it works. Fall in love with practice.

Link

Link

Link

Link

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime

Last edited by Jeff_Purtle on Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jeff.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very welcome.
There are some other cool videos to be posted very soon too.
I'm currently working on a video of Harry Kim's first presentation that is very fun and probably the next one will be a concert with Susan Slaughter and the Monarch Brass with some amazing women brass players.

Subscribing is free and if you click the Notifications bell you will know when new videos are posted. Please tell others about all of this so it can help more people have better direction and purpose with their practice.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: