• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My Olds Super Trumpet Came

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brassman19
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject: My Olds Super Trumpet Came Reply with quote

My 1947 Olds Super trumpet which I traded for with someone, in exchange for my Reynolds Contempora horn, finally came to me via UPS today. I was so excited I could hardly wait to open the package to see it.

The horn came in its original Lifton case (used, and slightly tattered, but still very solid and usable), along with an Olds 3 mouthpiece in pretty good shape (which I will never use, as I play using a Bach 1C), plus what looks to be its original brass music lyre too. All in all, I am very pleased with the trade.

The horn is very straight, clean, has just a couple of dings in it (which I will have my btass tech take out), and its original lacquer is still approximately 60 - 70% complete, which finish has turned to a pretty, dark honey-brown color, and all of the horn's surfaces have developed a nice, original patina on them. Even with the lacquer missing in spots it looks good, even unique, so I believe I'm going to leave its finish as it is.

My Super is easier to play than my Olds Special trumpet, especially above the clef, but its blow and feel is not that dissimilar to those of my Special, so I don't expect there to be any real "confusion" of any kind for my embouchure seitching back-and- forth, playing between the two horns. I LOVE how it plays, feels, and sounds! It certainly lives up to its name, as it really is a "Super" trumpet.

I will try to post pics of my "new" horn via my Flikr account tomorrow, in case anyone would like to see it. It's too late tonight for me to try to fiddle with doing that sort of thing, and I am tired. Good night.

Larry
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your horn but as the saying goes.

1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratz on the new horn. Like Chef said, looking forward to some pictures.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! I picked up a '46 super about 6 months ago and love it!

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject: My Olds Super trumpet came Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have a 47-48 Olds Special. I picked up a similar vintage Super a few years ago, thinking I had found the grail. It had a much tighter blow than my Special. Really quite different, and different enough that I sold the Super. I was playing the Special in a big band at the time with a pretty average sized mouthpiece.
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: My Olds Super trumpet came Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello all,
I have a 47-48 Olds Special. I picked up a similar vintage Super a few years ago, thinking I had found the grail. It had a much tighter blow than my Special. Really quite different, and different enough that I sold the Super. I was playing the Special in a big band at the time with a pretty average sized mouthpiece.

Is your Special one of the ones with all lead-pipe and no receiver? Mine is, (~1949) and it really is a special horn.
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Olds Super Reply with quote

Hello Jeirvine,
Yes it is. No receiver. Just the tapered leadpipe. #31xxx. I also have a Special cornet, same vintage with no receiver.
Brassman19
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Sorry I haven't posted any pics yet of my new "weapon" for others to see, as I had promised. Between being involved with my family's church fellowship yesterday, along with taking care of things at home, taking my son to his trumpet lesson (he is doing very well at it, by the way, having made his middle school's Honors Band after having played now for only a year, and is their second chair, first trumpet), and getting prepared last night for another busy work week, I had no time left to try to put pics of my "new" Super on my Flikr account, nor their link here up on TH. I will try to get them up and posted for everyone here in the next day or two.

I took my horn with me to my son's lesson, and let his teacher (who is a professional, Classical trumpet player, and also is my teacher as well) play and try it out. He was impressed with it, and said it is a good horn, and plays very well. That made me feel even more glad that I traded for and got it.

Larry
Brassman19
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again. I still haven't had time yet to post pics of my recently-acquired vintage Super trumpet to my Flikr account, but for the meantime, those of you who are interested and can access it, here is the link to my post with pics I made about it to Facebook, on the Olds Loyalist group page:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/oldsloyalists/permalink/1279593689458996/?m_entstream_source=group&ref=m_notif&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&paipv=0&eav=AfaRE1Z4Kv2-Q9l3tNyzFciejMALa9EDZPua1ucX6BCfutrBcjPRgnSrnf2krCFmCaY#

If you can't access the group page, but you do have a FB account, it is very easy to request to be and become a member of the Olds Loyalist group, after which you can then see my post, plus those of other members, as well as put up your own posts there too.

For those of you who don't have a FB account, I will still post pics to Flikr, and put up the link here in my post.

Larry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: