• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Arban's Vs. Saint-Jacome

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m sure that everyone has heard of the Arban’s but I rarely hear talk about the
Sait-Jacome book wich is also a great method book.

I was just wondering wich one do you guys prefer? And why is it that the Arban’s is so
much popular then Saint-Jacome. I personally like the Saint-Jacome better because it starts off at a very easy level and works up to harder stuff. and the 18 preludes are just perfect for me. Things aren’t as hard I guess but I can still find something challenging that I know that I can do. The Saint-Jacome also seems more organized to me.

But if you guys had to choose one book which one would you pick? Arban or Jacome?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kjb

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arban is great for the basic stuff - tonguing, scales. Saint-Jacome has some excellent duets and etudes. So, for the basics I like Arban. For more specific playing, I like Saint-Jacome.

Cheers,

kjb
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Q George, and one that is not asked enough.
Of course Arban is the Trumpet Players Bible as we all say. But what of poor St. Jacome?
As a student of Claude, I studied every page of Arban and St. Jacome. As well as Gatti and some of the French studies.
Anyway, I really like the St. Jacomes interval studies( study on the fifth degree..etc.), his characteristic studies are great. St. Jacomes Grand Artistic Studies are terrific and his duets can not be equaled.
If what you are looking for is a "go ahead" to learn St. Jacomes, then you got it from me!
St. Jacomes is cool because of the models on each exercise and the fact that you can start them in different keys.
I consider St. Jacomes to be the next step after Arban. Most of the first volumne is a waste of time for students of the trumpet.
The second volumne of St. Jacome is wonderful and filled with fine exercises that when played in the proper manner, not only enhance the musical development of the student, but also the technical.
For example, p157. This is a great exercise. Single tongue it. K tongue. Double tongue. Do ALL the models! All of them!
Do it every day for one week.
Then get back to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like most of us started on Arbans. When I went to college my instructor had me get Saint-Jacome's part II.

I agree with the other posts as to the wonderful adaptability of the exercises. And as also stated the duets are great. At every lesson we played duets. What a great learning experience playing duets with a player who with and as a soloist performed with the great Leonard Smith.

They both compliment each other and together make a dynamite combination.

I think I will quit typing and go straight to page 157.

Regards,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own St. Jacome, though have used it with my teacher (in our lessons). If I had to choose one, it'd be Arbans because it is a bit more general (from what I've seen) and perhaps a bit broader on the basics. I tend to agree, again based upon limited exposure, that it seems to take the next step beyond Arbans. For me, I have plenty of "regular" music to practice, plus many other methods and etude books, so just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I plan to get St. Jacome, but another reason I haven't yet is the answer to your other question -- why is Arban's so popular? It's everywhere! Most every store sells it, and I haven't found one that has St. Jacome in stock. One store (out of a half-dozen or so) carried it, but only kept one copy in stock and had sold it "a while back" and hadn't gotten around to ordering another. It was also quite a bit more expensive than Arbans. I also imagine most teachers were brought up on Arbans and prefer to stay with a known book rather than try something new.

My 1/2 cent - Don
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct Don. Arban is well organized and easy to use. Of course all students of the trumpet must have one.
St. J is the red-haired stepchild. It's not well organized and has almost no instructional text.
Claude was planning to edit the book after he worked on the Arban. Unfortunatly he had a heart attack and there were issues with Carl Fischer. I firmly suggest that you start working out of St. J. It is one of the primary texts in the trumpet repertoire and all trumpet players should be well familiar with it. Part 2 is where you should start. There is no instruction or method to the organization of the book. But like I said above, work on page 157. This is the beginning of a group of interval and melodic exercises that will take you many months to complete.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That WAS a damn good question George!

Do you know I've never even seen the St.J!

How does it compare in size weight etc...price?...where from?

Many thanks!

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Carl Fischer website lists the price as $26.95 and also states that Claude Gordon edited it before he died.

Quote:
Cleaned up, corrected and restored to its original completeness by Claude Gordon shortly before his death in 19 96, this new edition is a gold mine of exercises and instructional informa tion ...

Here's a picture of the cover.
http://www.carlfischer.com/jpg/7225154.jpg

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am concerned everyone should have both of them.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local store is going out of business and has music 25% off. Lo and behold, there sat one, new Saint-Jacome Grand Method for Trumpet or Cornet, Revised by Claude Gordon! Copyright 2002 by Carl Fischer. It looks really good, but my initial impression hasn't changed my previous assessment, and that of others -- it's a step past Arban's, or perhaps an advanced companion. Little text/explanation, and as it's several books combined the organization is...well... interesting at timnes. List $26.95 U.S. -- much cheaper than I recalled (less or comparable to the latest Arban's I think). My brief first look sez it's well worth having, in addition to (not in place of) Arban's.

FWIW - Don

p.s. The preface by Claude opens with an interesting (shall we say) line: "It is a tragedy that there are those self-styled revisers that will take a great book, written by someone else, revise it and in so doing, change the wording to fit their own ideas thus destroying the meaning intended by the original author."

Also, "The Saint-Jacome method is a book of examples and models on every exercise." In other words (just to revise Claude ), it's a starting point with examples upon which to build and extend on your own.

Finally (gotta' get past the first few pages someday), St. Jacome says as the first line of Instructions and Directions: "The cornet is without contradiction one of the easiest instruments to play as regards the fingering, and one of the most difficult in regard to the embouchure."
trumpetart
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cleaned up, corrected and restored to its original completeness by Claude Gordon shortly before his death in 19 96, this new edition is a gold mine of exercises and instructional informa tion ...

I'm interested to know how much editing CG did. I have the older lavender-colored edition, and it is a great book, but very disorganized, as has been pointed out. I would sure be interested in Claude Gordon's commentary on this book. So...anyone who has this edition, could you please describe it to me?
trumpetart
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EBjazz wrote:
. But like I said above, work on page 157. This is the beginning of a group of interval and melodic exercises that will take you many months to complete.

Eric - Thanks for pointing out this fantastic set of excercises. I've been plugging away at these since you posted this and I have definitely noticed a positive effect on my other playing. The most important thing is really to do all of the articulation models carefully.
trumpetart
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EBjazz wrote:
. But like I said above, work on page 157. This is the beginning of a group of interval and melodic exercises that will take you many months to complete.

Eric - Thanks for pointing out this fantastic set of excercises. I've been plugging away at these since you posted this and I have definitely noticed a positive effect on my other playing. The most important thing is really to do all of the articulation models carefully.
davyar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my St. J on ebay last year. I love it. I agree that it is not well organized (jumps around abit), but it sure enlightened me on major and minor keys. Also, on alot of exercises it says you can play the same exercise in a different key just by changing some notes to sharps and other notes to naturals. (hard to explain --- St J users know what I'm trying to say!)

I wish I had used this book years ago.

Dave

Olds Recording Trumpet (1968)
Olds Ambassador Cornet (1950)
Olds Ultratone Bugle
Lyon & Healy Cornet (1930)
Conn Perfected Wonder (1912)
trumpetart
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetart wrote:
EBjazz wrote:

I figured out something else. If you play them "in D" on your A piccolo, they lie really well and help build endurance on the picc!
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EBjazz wrote:
You are correct Don. Arban is well organized and easy to use. Of course all students of the trumpet must have one.
St. J is the red-haired stepchild. It's not well organized and has almost no instructional text.
Claude was planning to edit the book after he worked on the Arban. Unfortunatly he had a heart attack and there were issues with Carl Fischer. I firmly suggest that you start working out of St. J. It is one of the primary texts in the trumpet repertoire and all trumpet players should be well familiar with it. Part 2 is where you should start. There is no instruction or method to the organization of the book. But like I said above, work on page 157. This is the beginning of a group of interval and melodic exercises that will take you many months to complete.

I know this is an old post but I would to get this book. I have CG Physical Approach To Elementary Brass Playing: For Trumpet and I see he uses lessons from ST Jacome. Why should you start on index 2? Theres a lot of great exercises in part 1.
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Bertie's new organized version of the Saint-Jacome is definitely worth a look for everyone here. Fixing up the organization makes it much more usable, and gives Arban a real run for his money.

Find "The Inspiration of Saint-Jacome" by David Bertie here.
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timothyquinlan wrote:
David Bertie's new organized version of the Saint-Jacome is definitely worth a look for everyone here. Fixing up the organization makes it much more usable, and gives Arban a real run for his money.

Find "The Inspiration of Saint-Jacome" by David Bertie here.

Thanks
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll die before I've mastered Arban. My main teacher was a student of Schilke and he showed me different ways of using some of the Arban exercises that are not specified in the book.

But I like to use St. Jacome and Merri Franquin for variety.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Smokin Joe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Tonight Show in 1975. I spoke with Doc Severinsen after the show, he asked me what book I was using to practice from, I told him Arban's, he told me he used the St Jacome book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: