• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adams A9 vs. Martin T3460

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stradbrother
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Adams A9 vs. Martin T3460 Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

I'm new to Adams trumpets and just saw that they have been making a Martin Committee copy with the Adams A9. How faithful to the original are these horns?

I've always wanted a Committee after I had a chance to play one back in high school (I wish I remembered specifics, I have no idea the year or bore size).

I recently bought a Martin T3460. This was one of those Martin-Leblanc horns with the colored lacquers and it was horrific. It was decent quality, same quality as any pro horn, but it did not feel like a Committee at all. It was stuffy and I had a hard time centering my tone in the lower range.
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be of interest to you: A video of Trent Austin comparing a 2020 Adams A9 with a 1945 Martin Committee.

In the end, you always want to play-test trumpets yourself. There might be one particular aspect of a "Committee" that you respond to which a modern copy or "inspired by" instrument may or may not feature. Good luck with your search!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HF0H8zdbj8
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First a question. If you've always wanted a Committee why not buy a Committee?

Having said that, another frustrating comment. I've had three Committees and an Adams A-9. Which of the clones comes closest is relative. And in choosing which clone, you may have a trade-off in eliminating a characteristic of the Committee you don't like.

For me, the intonation and slotting of the Committee was loosie-goosy. An irony, because I was coming from Tenor Sax which was very flexible in pitch production. It seems like that's a problem for me on the trumpet (not that I want all pitches to be 100% locked in.) The Adams was more secure on both counts, while still giving some leeway for pitches.

I thought the tone quality on the Adams was a bit deeper, which I preferred. Also, the Committee seemed to me to have a brassy ring on the edge of the sound that I never got comfortable with. I This also meant that the Adams has a little more adaptability to "classical" end big band section work. But it still can have a characteristic Martin-bebop sound.

I found the Adams had more of what I wanted while keeping that bebop sound and, having a guarantee to back up any problems. You can still have a limited warranty from some dealers, so you might want to look into that if you go with a Committee.

A caveat to the above, I did not sell the Adams because of any deficiencies. I sold it for other reasons.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have the medium or large bore A9?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medium bore and custom red brass bell.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: