• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Satisfied or complacent?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Satisfied or complacent? Reply with quote

This is mostly a philosophical question, but I was wondering how many of you are satisfied with your current level of proeficiency? A common concept that creeps up in many discussions or stories seems the need to always improve, always look forward. Is that something that’s essential to making music, even if it leads to the risk of never being happy with the results?

Years ago when it seemed like a goal forever out of reach, I told myself I’d be happy if I could play a C above the staff, at will, with good tone and at any volume. A little while back I finally passed that hurdle (more or less), not to mention that I’m actually quite satisfied with how I sound. And while I continue to practice to improve, I find I have to admit to myself that I’d be quite ok if this is as far as I’d get. Sure, there are tons of things to work on. There always are. And yet the things I cannot play don’t bother me (much) anymore.

Does anyone else feel like that? Or do you need to continually set new goals for yourself to stay motivated? Is it possible to both be happy where you are, and keep pushing forward? Or am I just kidding myself?
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to be realistic about the resources you have to give. At this point in my life I don't have the time to return to the level I was once at, but I want to be really good where I am.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's complicated...

As an old dude who long ago gave up any idea of making my daily bread from performing ( but, frankly, never let go of the satisfaction of trumpet progress) I think of an exchange from an old cowboy movie:

1ST Cowboy: So, how's it going?
2ND Cowboy: Better..... now that I've given up hope!

When I first started in the 6th grade, I just wanted to be better than the guys to my left.

When I got to the 10th grade, I was the guy on the left, so I figured I wanted to be better than anyone out in the crowd.

Then I got to listening to Doc every night, and I wanted to be that good.

After 4 years of college, I was back to trying to be better than anyone in the local crowd.

Now I am 73, happy to still be in the band, and letting the guys to the left do the worrying.

My efforts are consistent, but commensurate with my focus.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic brings to mind an admittedly somewhat tangential quote from Oscar Levant:

"I am no more humble than my talents require."

Since I have a fairly ample reserve of humility, I guess I can afford to be pretty complacent.

Of course, Oscar also claimed that his psychiatrist once said to him, "Maybe life isn't for everyone."

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am a guy who started playing in 1953 and enjoyed 12 years of gigs with my 5-piece band, while holding down a steady job in the newspaper industry. And I was happy with my proficiency during that time.
But gigs dried up in the 60's and I quit. Fifty plus years later I took up the trumpet again at the age of 79. I've been at it for a little over 6 years now and the first 4 I worked hard to play as well as I could while a member of two different style local bands and was satisfied. But health conditions started to affect my playing 2 and a half years ago so I, at age 86, no longer try to improve on my playing ability, but I am satisfied that I can hold my own in one of this provinces award winning bands.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laziness is rooted in self-love. It's taking ourselves off the hook, opting for the comfortable instead of the best! -Paul David Tripp-

Playing trumpet for the pure Joy of it is my goal everyday anymore! There are good days and not as good days, but that is like every other aspect of life, Major keys and Minor keys compliment each other! There are often Picardy 3rds!!!

Life is Short, find the Joy in it!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question, for me I feel like I'm never satisfied- even when others compliment my playing.
I can say that I continue to practice what I feel I'm weak on, like improvisation and upper register stuff. Pretty happy with my tone and fundamentals...
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two stories as to where I come from:
I came off the stage in Italy after playing a set and was talking with another player. This guy was killer and I figured that he was more than satisfied with his playing. I told him I felt bad because my solos weren't good enough and he shocked me by saying, "Hell Kehaulani, I'm never satisfied".

Another time I was talking to the guy who ran a big band I had been playing a long time in. Another excellent professional player. I said, "My dream is to play just one really good solo before I die" and he surprised me by saying, "You've already done that . . many times".

The point is not for me to be self-aggrandizing but to say it's never good enough. For some, it's an excuse to give up. For others, an obsession you just have to live with. You do the best you can every day. But then you just let the chips fall where they may. You can only do what you can do.

BTW, the guy who's "not good enough".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KlfHd7ITCU

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting replies, thanks for sharing them. I've given my own situation some more thought. I think the difference is that in the past, I needed to get better, whereas now I want to get better. It does take some of the pressure off I guess, which allows me to actually appreciate my own playing. Maybe I should seek out more challenging music to play, though I'm not sure I really want that kind of stressfulness back in my life anymore.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to be satisfied with your progress but never completely feeling like you have reached your goals of excellence that you constantly strive for.

Years ago I heard an excellent talk by Christopher Parkening (Classical Guitar Soloist). His goal was to become a millionaire by 30 and retire and go fishing on his own lake. He did it and wasn’t content. At that point his life changed and the focus wasn’t about playing guitar for himself anymore.

Enjoying practice and setting goals for practice and music is one way to stay motivated. Discover your calling with music and enjoy the process.

The more we improve the more we notice what needs improving. That’s what makes practice fun for me. I would hope that none of us would become content with our playing and always try to learn more and improve. It’s possible for playing to get easier every year if you know how to work at it smart.

Listen to other great players and let that motivate you.
Players like Allen Vizzutti didn’t get where they are by being happy they play better than another player. They strive to improve themselves no matter what the big group of mediocrity around them might be. We are artists and craftsmen and it’s never ending work. It’s self-rewarding.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone is different. Some people must have a goal in order to feel happy playing and for others playing is an area of their life where they're doing it for stress relief.

When I came back I had a general "base level goal" (be able to play at Christmas/Easter; join a community band) and then some reach goals (I'd like to be able to join jam sessions). Along the way I started doubling on low brass and also bought C and piccolo trumpets. Having kids start on brass has been an extra joy, and helps keep things in perspective.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be satisfied with my playing when I was younger (20-30). Now at 37 my expectation of myself is much higher.

I remember playing better when I was younger, but I had bad technique. Now I strive to play as well as I used to but with much better efficiency.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be dogmatic about this, so:

Professional and professional-level players: "I don't practice until I can get it right. I practice until I can not get it wrong".

Amateur-minded players: "You can only do what you can do".

Dave Liebman (paraphrasing): "There is no liking practice of disliking it. It's just something you do."

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There is no liking practice of [I assume "or"] disliking it. It's just something you do."

Dave stole that one from Yoda... long ago and far away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: