• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Herseth - Hummel (Radio Broadcast)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Herseth - Hummel (Radio Broadcast) Reply with quote

Hi all,

I saw this shared on one of the Facebook trumpet groups, and thought some people here might like it, and might not have already seen it. A recording of a live performance of Herseth playing the Hummel Concerto has surfaced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Ai4GeTSp4

Happy listening!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the good ole days when you could hear a live broadcast with groups and people like the Chicago and Herseth!

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting this!

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local radio stations used to record concerts for playback at a later date. I listened to many concerts on WRR in the 80's from the Dallas Symphony that I had attended. I remember hearing the Indianapolis Symphony broadcasts and the NY Phil and likely many others still have radio offerings. If you go back far enough the TV stations broadcast the symphony live early Saturday afternoon. I bought a few of the DVDs offered from WGN broadcasts of Chicago in the 60's.

There has to be an enormous catalogue of live recordings like this available if the stations could release them. Maybe there is not enough of a market for them.

I got to see Herseth perform the Haydn in Chicago in early 1980. It was great and the crowd gave a thunderous applause. It was especially good to hear him get the appreciation he deserved.

-- Joe
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Thank you.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poster David Werden writes:

"One of the greatest trumpet players ever was seldom seen standing in front of the orchestra as soloist. But here "Bud" offered his talents for the live audience and radio audience. I don't have a date for this broadcast, but I would guess the early 1980's. Erich Leinsdorf is the conductor for this performance."

I saw this live! Fall 1983. I was on about the 8th row of Orchestra Hall...maybe 10 seats to the right of stage center (from stage view). Mr. Herseth had an incredible sound, as we all know, but he also had incredibly clear articulation. I also heard him/them do Mahler #7 months later (where I was in the nosebleed for that concert), and that was equally indelibly imprinted in my mind.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact I remember it being the opening concert of the 1983 season, if I'm not mistaken, which would have been at the end of September. Amazing that it's been exactly 39 years, and yet it seems that every note he played has left a permanent tiny footprint in my musical soul. One of those larger than life figures that you never forget. Oh, and I also recall standing in line for a ticket prior to the concert, and an older woman handed me that ticket for the close-up seat! It was my first time to attend a CSO concert, got to hear Herseth perform a major concerto FOR FREE!, and seated very close to the Legend...a truly memorable event.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: