• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schagerl Las Vegas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Schagerl Las Vegas Reply with quote

Has anyone out there played one of these trumpets? What's general idea behind the horn and particularly the idea behind the Scodwell lead pipe? What does it compare to?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is marketed as an efficient "commercial" horn (studio/big band/lead).
Interestingly it has a gold brass bell.

I haven't had the opportunity to play it yet, but here is a Trent Austin video discussing this trumpet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_OPjdrxttY

It is slightly cheaper than the Austrian made instruments because at least parts of it are made in Taiwan to Schagerl specifications.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Schagerl "Las Vegas" model Reply with quote

I can offer some good information on this.

Karl Schagerl was displaying his trumpets at the Banff ITG meeting in the same room as I was as Washington Music Center distributed both our horns. Karl had six Bb piston trumpets there as he wanted to enter the American market along with his well known rotary trumpets. After that week he invited me to Mank, Austria to put two prototypes together in his factory. I took parts from my own Bb's for comparison to what he was using and the decision was made to copy my leadpipe and overall design with the Carol Brass parts. His brother Robert scanned my leadpipe and that became the pipe used in production models. I was told later on when James Morrison had started working with Karl, James chose my leadpipe for his own models. The first two production models were sent to me in Las Vegas for evaluation and there were a couple things that needed fixing which got resolved quickly. The name I suggested for the one model was "Las Vegas" and the other was "Boston" which had different components also from Carol Brass. Karl evidently decided not to produce the Boston model so as it was my suggestion for the name originally, I have applied it to my "Boston" model Scodwell. For what it's worth, there are similarities in what Schagerl produces as the Las Vegas model and my own standard Scodwell USA model which is often called a Las Vegas model but I do many things differently than Karl does. Agreed that has caused some confusion but hopefully this will clear that up a bit.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: