• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn 4 Cornet Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject: Conn 4 Cornet Mouthpiece Reply with quote

I know there have been discussions in the past about the different shanks. The early ones were short shanked and then in the late 1950's, Conn switched to long shank.

Out of curiosity, I found an early one. I already had late ones for cornet and trumpet. The photo below is a comparison. The early one inserts much less than the later one in both an early sixties Conn cornet and a 1956 Conn cornet. Also of interest, a modern Curry mouthpiece inserts about the same as the early Conn mouthpiece. That's the part that doesn't make sense to me. But it explains why I've always noticed that the old Conns played just fine with modern mouthpieces.

What has been your experience?

[img]IMG_1786 by genevie7, on Flickr[/img]

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a "gap" thing.

You might check the '56 cornet's mouthpiece receiver for a visible leadpipe "ledge". Decades of Bach mouthpieces can grind that down. When the "ledge" is gone, I find that I like more mouthpiece shank insertion.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ledge. In fact, checking on other Conns, Kings and Olds, they all had none. My 1962-ish Conn cornet does have a ledge down there. It also plays great with any number of different shank styles.

I read an old thread on TH where a manufacturer explained that there are so many different shank styles, the cornets were designed to work with any of them.

Anyway, back to the original question. What have you with Conn cornets found using different style shanks, either early or late Conn mouthpieces or other makers?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
What have you with Conn cornets found using different style shanks, either early or late Conn mouthpieces or other makers?

Both my 1921 Conn Vocal and 1923 Conn New Wonder have a... "discontinuity" where the inside of the receiver meets the leadpipe. I can find it with the depth probe of my caliper, but I can't claim it's much of a ledge as all my modern cornet mouthpieces insert past the discontinuity, including all the short-shank Wicks.

Both cornets play fine with modern cornet mouthpieces, and I don't much like playing either with the period-correct Conn Wonder mouthpiece that came with the Vocal cornet (even though it has a fairly standard eighth-inchish "gap" from the end of the shank to the discontinuity on both horns).

Then I got a short-shank Conn 4 cornet mouthpiece, which also has a typical gap from the end of the receiver to the discontinuity. It was also made decades after either cornet and is smaller than the mouthpieces I usually play. Both cornets play enough better with this mouthpiece that I have played trad jazz gigs with both horns and the Conn 4 mouthpiece, despite the small diameter. It's nice to be able to choose between cornets in C, Bb, and A (did I mention the New Wonder has the Bb/A mechanism?) when you're playing behind a vocalist and she's calling tunes in her keys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: