• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I want a 190 with a 72 bell and 43 pipe.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtropical and Subpar wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Which Kanstul is a stencil of the 72?

Kanstul 1503 and 1504 used the Kanstul 72 bell, as did several boutique stencils they built such as the AW Concert-460. The BAC Paseo Z72 also uses that bell.

It should be noted it is not a clone. In the same note to Zig in which he said "I don't know what the #7 bell is supposed to be" Byron emphasized several times that "our 72 bell" is consistently "much larger than Bach 72". Specifically, the transition between flare and stem is wider.

Ah, thanks for that. I see from their still-intact website that the 1500 and 1500-A also both used the #7 bell. Very intriguing, as the 1500 bell was copper and the 1500-A bell was bronze, with a fairly chunky body. So many tonal possibilities!

Kanstul also built the Flip Oakes Celebration, which had a #72 bell, #43 lead pipe and a .470" bore. Those that have one love it. The sound is huge and colorful, intonation is impeccable, response is amazing.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Which Kanstul is a stencil of the 72?

Kanstul 1503 and 1504 used the Kanstul 72 bell, as did several boutique stencils they built such as the AW Concert-460. The BAC Paseo Z72 also uses that bell.

It should be noted it is not a clone. In the same note to Zig in which he said "I don't know what the #7 bell is supposed to be" Byron emphasized several times that "our 72 bell" is consistently "much larger than Bach 72". Specifically, the transition between flare and stem is wider.

Ah, thanks for that. I see from their still-intact website that the 1500 and 1500-A also both used the #7 bell. Very intriguing, as the 1500 bell was copper and the 1500-A bell was bronze, with a fairly chunky body. So many tonal possibilities!

Kanstul also built the Flip Oakes Celebration, which had a #72 bell, #43 lead pipe and a .470" bore. Those that have one love it. The sound is huge and colorful, intonation is impeccable, response is amazing.

It really is a shame that Kanstul went out of business, for so many reasons - the loss of Flip's sourcing, end of a long lineage of builders, they had a huge and varied product line of trumpets, cornets, and flugels. I have read, maybe here, that with Kanstul under and Getzen not building them anymore, there are now zero American tuba manufacturers. I have no idea if that's true or not, mind you.

I will say that there have been some screaming bargains on new / like new Kanstuls over the last year or so at the usual sellers and marketplaces, if that's any silver lining.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen makes two trumpets with their version of a 72 bell, the 3051 and the 3001 "Mike Vax" trumpet. Also, the Kanstul 1600 Wayne Bergeron model had a 72 bell with a modified 43 leadpipe.

I have a Kanstul 1504, which has a 72 bell and 43 leadpipe, and it's a truly wonderful horn. Flip Oakes "Celebration" was a large-bore version of that configuration. Apparently the 1503 and 1504 weren't big sellers, as they had been dropped from their lineup about 10 years ago, although they were always available by special order.

Another reason to lament the demise of Kanstul was their willingness to make custom horns to their customers' specifications. I don't understand why Bach (and Yamaha for that matter) are so unwilling to do that.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty Lips wrote:
Another reason to lament the demise of Kanstul was their willingness to make custom horns to their customers' specifications. I don't understand why Bach (and Yamaha for that matter) are so unwilling to do that.

When last I was at the Bach plant, shortly before Tedd retired and communications admittedly became more challenging, there were quite a few blue tags moving through the shop. Yamaha on the other hand does not customize at the factory anymore (unlike when my horn was built), but offers that exclusively through the ateliers such as in New York https://www.yamaha.com/artists/artist-relations-newyork.html?CTID=5070154

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Cote over at osmun contacted Bach on my Behalf and they said they are willing to get it done for me. He said to let them know everything I want and they would see what all they can get done. Im trying to get a reverse lead pipe with a 43 pipe gold brass 72 bell and anniversary engraving done. Ill update everyone if it will be possible but they did say they would do a 72 for me in the 190 with a 43 pipe.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
Tim Cote over at osmun contacted Bach on my Behalf and they said they are willing to get it done for me. He said to let them know everything I want and they would see what all they can get done. Im trying to get a reverse lead pipe with a 43 pipe gold brass 72 bell and anniversary engraving done. Ill update everyone if it will be possible but they did say they would do a 72 for me in the 190 with a 43 pipe.

Cool. Let us know how it works out, and let us know how you like it and how it meets your hopes and expectations. THat is one of things that makes TH so interesting.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wall I never heard back from Osmun after they were supposed to order the horn for me. I was talking to the guys over in Rich Ita shop after they finished my H.n. White cornet restoration about it because they had some 190s in their shop and I mentioned my ideal configuration and what happened with Osmun. Well to my delight they offered to step in and custom order the horn for me. So far the process has been a much more present experience through them. We have even talked about different bell engraving options. So far I think I am going to go with a 180s72 with a 43 leadpipe and a gold brass standard weight bell. 1st slide trigger and most likely either anniversary engraving or artesian engraving. I might go with a 3rd slide water key as well and double horn case.

I'll keep updating the thread as I go. Hopefully I'll get my dream Bb bach.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to you and I hope it all works out. I am also curious about the new bach models coming out.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Arnold wrote:
Good luck to you and I hope it all works out. I am also curious about the new bach models coming out.

Well bach doesn't want to do a 190 with a 72 bell so we are talking to them about doing a 43 or a 37 with the trigger and 43 pipe then swapping out the bell at rich shop.
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, you can go ahead and get a Yamaha 8335LAII and not have to custom order a Bach.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a.kemp wrote:
Or, you can go ahead and get a Yamaha 8335LAII and not have to custom order a Bach.

That doesn't have a trigger so doesn't suit my needs and I never liked the Yamaha horns I tried out. I am wanting a 72 gold brass bell and 43 leadpipe with a 1st slide trigger. That horn doesn't really fit the bill.
NRampmaiermusic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
a.kemp wrote:

That doesn't have a trigger so doesn't suit my needs and I never liked the Yamaha horns I tried out. I am wanting a 72 gold brass bell and 43 leadpipe with a 1st slide trigger. That horn doesn't really fit the bill.

I know another poster already commented this, but the Getzen 3001MV has their 72 bell and a more open lead pipe. Brett actually posted a thread about some sale rep horns he has for sale and has 2 of them on hand.

Ive played on one for quite a while now and l love it!
Powell Custom Flugelhorn Copper bell
Kanstul 920 Bb/A Piccolo
Greg Black Mouthpieces w/ Stomvi Sleeves
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NRampmaiermusic wrote:
chef8489 wrote:
a.kemp wrote:

I know another poster already commented this, but the Getzen 3001MV has their 72 bell and a more open lead pipe. Brett actually posted a thread about some sale rep horns he has for sale and has 2 of them on hand.

Ive played on one for quite a while now and l love it!
the whole point to this is it has to have a factory trigger. I sold a bach that didn't have a trigger..
kramergfy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an early Elkhart custom that I had Charlie Melk assemble. It is a standard weight body that started out as a 37 bell, 25 pipe. A while ago 8 struck gold and found an old raw brass 72* bell that was from this time period, with a side seam and steel wire rim. I had Charlie put this bell on the horn and change the pipe to a 43. It’s a killer horn for lead, or anything really. Tons of core, tons of sizzle and the upper register is open and free.

Thread killer.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's an old thread, but one of Mt friends just received a bach 19072v and 19072x from bach. These are the new models from them. I don't have much info in them yet, but I hope to get my 19072g sometime this year.
LDK-97
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do You have any info of the difference between 190v vs 190x?
Regards
Bach Stradivarius Artisan Piccolo
Yamaha 8335GS Neo Bb
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LDK-97 wrote:
Do You have any info of the difference between 190v vs 190x?
Regards

I am not sure I think the 190x is a light weight body with a reverse leadpipe. The v might be the 19072 mlv vindabona I know another friend got the 19072 mlv vindabona in to replace her edwards she was on.

I want to say these have not officially been released as of yet and it's subject to change, but hopefully they hurry up and release them.

Got some good news from my contact Bach today.. I'll update after NAam, but needless to say I'll be selling the 1967 bach 37 I just purchased that I was going to get a restoration on.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an update I can post after ITG this month..
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally posting pics of my horn. This is a 190 model with a 72 gold brass side seam bell, 43 lead-pipe, reverse slide stop, 3rd slide water key and 1st slide trigger. I have Meteorite finger buttons on it thanks to Ewan Divitt. I truly love this horn and it's everything I hoped it could be. I might send it back for a Vindabona slide, but I have not made up my mind as of yet. I was asked not to post pics of it till things were all settled at Bach with the new models and Andy new position. They are turning out some great horns now.

JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics, thank you!!

And it's a gorgeous horn, ditto for the fingerbuttons. Super glad to hear that you like it - and thanks for posting.

I have a few MK tuning slides and I have to say they can really make a difference in how a horn plays and how it sounds. I'd encourage you to get the Vindabonna slide, but I hate shipping horns across the country for any reason. Tough decision there. Shipping most often goes well today, but one can never tell until afterward.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: