• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing multiple instruments

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrassSection

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Playing multiple instruments Reply with quote

Just wondering if others play multiple instruments. As the only brass player in our church band, I regularly play trumpet, trombone, French horn, and euphonium. Instrument choice is usually dictated by the style of song we are doing. Primary horns are trumpet and bone, but French end euph get regular use too. Tuba only comes out when we put together a brass ensemble for special occasions. Just wondering if/how others handle playing up to 4 different horns in one service? No real issues, but open to suggestions if others are doing this.

Holton ST304 Maynard Ferguson
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My switch was between voice and trumpet. I actually have(had) an unusual vocal range, F2 to F6 in falsetto, so I could be counted on to fill in holes in voicing or just as an accurate and reliable section singer.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, welcome to TH. Looking forward to your additional participation!

Second, what you're doing is quite impressive. The closest I have come to that dynamic is when I am playing transposed Fr horn parts on flugel. Then it is a matter of having space for both the flugel and the Bb on the floor and notes on the sheet music reminding me when to switch. I am certain you have already worked out those logistics.

Third, Central Pa? As a kid, I remember many a road trip along the Susquehenna River (Rtes 11/15) after my father got his new job in Washington and we returned to Western NY summers and holidays to see the extended family.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a band director and it's very common for me to switch between flute, clarinet, trumpet, horn, and trombone multiple times in a class period. I don't have any adverse issues with that, but I'm not trying to play difficult stuff on any of them.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I understood the question but relying on some answers, maybe not. With that in mind, here's an answer.

Switching around:(professionally), between trumpet and French horn and later, between flute, sop., alto, and tenor saxes.

Also played trombone, Irish and Classical Period flutes, Alto horn, Feadog, guitar, ukulele, voice.

Music-teacher-level proficiency on oboe, clarinet, violin. cello, contra-bass. percussion, trap set.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't really play much anymore I doubled on flute. I was a student of Carmine Caruso during the mid 70's. He told me that flute was a good double for brass players. I noticed Tom "Bones " Malone also plays Flute in addition to Trombone and Trumpet in performance with The Fab Faux. I believe he also plays sax as well.
BrassSection

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some clarification, the only “Music” I have is the chord sheet the guitar and keyboard players use, so basically I have a starting point and just arrange as I go. Keys subject to last minute changes based on the singers. For some special occasions (Christmas/Easter etc) I can put together a brass ensemble with other players in the church, but none want to play weekly without written notes. I’ve covered everything from trumpet to tuba with sheet music, only problem for me is once a year reading the low notes takes some refresher practice when on tuba. Grandson plays trumpet in HS band, and has used my euph tc only. he also plays bass guitar and piano, so he does want to learn BC for euph. Daughter is a great French horn player, and occasionally uses my extra trumpet and the three of us can do a trumpet trio. I tell people the nice thing about playing without music is you never play the wrong note!

My main practice instrument is trumpet, if my chops are good for that the rest come easy. Only practice the other instruments when I’m actually using music.

BrassSection

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I wouldn’t mind attempting a flute or even a sax, I’m afraid my old fat fingers aren’t nimble enough to tackle that: 3 or 4 valves I can handle, but never could get fingers to work right on piano or guitar. I’m happy with brass, and the song leader appreciates the flexibility of matching instruments to the mood of the songs chosen. Asked him a few times for input, but he said just keep doing what you’re doing.

WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrassSection wrote:
Some clarification, the only “Music” I have is the chord sheet the guitar and keyboard players use, so basically I have a starting point and just arrange as I go. Keys subject to last minute changes based on the singers.

I continue to be intrigued. How much guidance/lead time does the church worship leader give you with respect to the instrumentation he/she wants on the different anthems/hymns?

We have a 12-15 piece orchestra that, on a biweekly basis, plays preludes/offertories, accompanies the choir on their anthems and also accompanies the hymns. Even with the charts all in place for Wednesday night rehearsal with our orchestra director, we still have some "scurrying about" on Sunday mornings when what the worship leader (choral guy) communicated with our director is not really what he meant
BrassSection

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually get a song list about mid week. Instrumentation is all my choice, I’ve asked if leader ever has a preference and he always defers back to me. In the past we has a fellow that played trombone, so I often just stuck to trumpet then. He moved on and we wound up with a sax player. About any brass went with the sax, bone and trumpet equally shared duty, others weren’t used much. There is a fellow that joins me once every couple of month, he is an outstanding trumpet player. First time he suggested me staying on bone and he would cover trumpet. One song begged for twin trumpets so I pulled mine out too. After that he was all for dual trumpets, but I mostly stick with bone or euph when he’s there. He does however cheat, he usually uses his C trumpet when playing off of chord sheet. Normal band is 2 electric, one acoustic, and 1 bass guitar, sometimes keyboard, and always a drum set. Keys can be changed on a moments notice, no problem on the Bb instruments, not fond of having to double transpose the French horn.

nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do play multiple instruments (trumpets -- picc, D, C, Bb; cornets -- Eb, C, Bb; Bb flugelhorn; alto horn in F and Eb; valve and slide trombone; euphonium; soprano and alto recorders; and I rented a flute and learned how to play a basic part for a concert a few years back), sometimes in the same concert.

My challenge is that I am usually playing a written part and am expected to play the notes on the page.

My advice is to not agree to play any sort of low brass on a concert of Beatles tunes and then attempt the piccolo trumpet solo on "Penny Lane" for the finale.

I'm a special sort of stupid, because I attempted it twice.
claf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play several brass instruments (Bb trumpet, C trumpet, piccolo trumpet, Bb cornet, Bb flugelhorn, bass trombone).
Just like nieuwguyski, I try to avoid playing piccolo trumpet & bass trombone in the same gig.
The most common doubling for me in the same gig:
- jazz/big band: Bb trumpet & flugelhorn
- symphonic: Bb & C trumpet, cornet and/or bass trombone (sometimes I switch between trumpet & bass trombone in the same tune, for example in Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade)

It also happened several times I had to double on trumpet & drums or trumpet & bass guitar, but there is no embouchure trouble between the both of them
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:

My advice is to not agree to play any sort of low brass on a concert of Beatles tunes and then attempt the piccolo trumpet solo on "Penny Lane" for the finale.

This level of advice (and self-disclosure) is why I hang out on TH!

Thank you!
BrassSection

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries on Penny Lane, as much as I love the sound of them, I don’t own a piccolo trumpet…I know the limits of my abilities as a low life! It’s rare I go above an F on bass clef inst, or as known by trumpet players a G. Mainly because high notes seem to project well in the church, and a “real” musician recommended that I don’t get above that in the church environment. Even scored music I’ve played for any of my horns is very rarely written higher.

If I could cover Penny Lane like Caleb Hudson of the Canadian Brass, you bet I’d have me one of them horns!

kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Penny Lane"? That's what an EWI's for.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
BrassSection

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found out higher notes work well in our church! There is a professional trumpet player that joins me occasionally to double the brass in our worship band; he demonstrated high notes do work well in certain contemporary worship songs, found it works with 2 trumpets or trumpet and trombone.

Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few, I reckon.

Mostly, upper-brass and stringed instruments.

Last night I was asked to fill-in on drums at a gig. Not having played percussion in several months (I have tendonitis and neuropathy in wrists, fingers), I found it challenging. Had to switch hands from usual stick holding preference. Being somewhat ambidextrous helped, but still ... a challenge.
Somehow, I managed. Iced-down my wrists when I got home.

Oh, well ... could be worse.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played french horn for a few years, drums for about a decade. Mostly sticking to trumpet these days, find it much more rewarding to play than the other instruments.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
Played french horn for a few years, drums for about a decade.

Did you ever have to play drums, wherein you either had to (due to injury/other), or by choice, switch your normal hand-holding?

I am semi-natural ambidextrous, but I favor my right hand (writing, throwing, archery, guitar/mandolin, etc.), but have greater strengths as a lefty (kicking, baseball batting, wielding a hammer, etc.)
I learned (self-taught) to play drums as a lefty. My drummer ( rock'n'roll, waaaay back in the '60s) was a lefty, which I did not know. When I began to teach myself to play drums, he let me use his kit (which was set-up in my basement practice space). Sooo ... it was on this lefty kit, on which I learned to play.
Funny thing: I was asked to sit-in on drums with another band, whose regular drummer wanted to take a few extended breaks (wife/girlfriend spat). I sat on the throne/stool, and was confused. Everything was "backwards" for me. It was a righty set-up.

LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever heard of James Morrison? He's the ultimate multi-instrumentalist. I don't know how he does it, but he's world-class at multiple instruments, in multiple families.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: