• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Today's players vs players of the 40s - 80s?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing is pretty sure regarding the difference between players now and the guys that were in their prime in the 40’s 50’s 60’s etc….

Back then they played louder with a bigger sound and they hit way harder. When I was young in the early 80’s, old guys sounded great. With huge sound, and very slamming note fronts. Not unmusical either, just great air, sound, reading and accuracy, and endurance. More so by quite bit compared to young guys now. Especially true with bone players by the way. I’m talking about big band/commercial players
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
sd4f
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question sort of seems similar to the "if a tree falls in a forest, and there's no one around to hear it fall, does it make a sound?"

I think there are many excellent players today, just that we're in a different era where instrumentalism just isn't all that mainstream any more.

For pop/jazz, well just about any sort of music where the trumpet is front and centre; none of that is popular today. The last crop of jazz trumpeters that are still active were mostly able to establish themselves back in the 80's, and jazz is hardly mainstream today. Invariably also, the problem that I have with looking at the best technical musicians, is that their performance usually devolves into a freak show, and it's more for insiders (i.e. those who appreciate the technical talent) rather than mainstream audiences.

For classical music, well, anything that could be recorded, already has, and we've had access to decent enough technology, that the sound quality has been "good enough" for many decades. This is where giants like Maurice Andre come in, because he was a really good player, but also lived in a time where recording quality was already such that the end result is "high fidelity". Like lets face it, how many trumpet players are going to keep releasing recordings of the same repertoire?

The only person I can think of, who has broken out into more mainstream music this century is Timmy Trumpet, and yea, I did a search and it doesn't look like he's been mentioned on this forum yet. Not exactly a genre of music which trumpet players are known and renowned for.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously you missed this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3xr4bJtxhg&ab_channel=BasF%C3%B6rster
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:56 pm    Post subject: Today's players 40s through the 80s Reply with quote

It is another one of those who is the "GOAT" arguments. The people that could play, could play, and today the people that can play, can really play. There is plenty to appreciate from every decade of music. Personally, I still get out my dubbed CD of Stan Kenton's Neophonic Orchestra if I want to hear what I think "throxos" is GUTS. Now my teacher latched onto a copy of that in '63 or '64 and it set up a new mark. This dynamic soaring sound from everyone and trumpets that just shook the room. i like that sound the best of all of everything I ever listened to. I know the people who played the music were good technically, but is really that sound. i feel the same about musicians today and perhaps they are more technically proficient going through a university. There are great young people out there. I think the guys that cut those old LPs back in the day were as good as any people, ever, and that is MHO. Thanks to all.
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
Although Goby is correct in what he says, I am 86 and yes, maybe I live in the past, but there was a magic surrounding the great players of that era that is missing today.

That seems well spoken. In the jazz world, I'm not against checking out Ingrid Jensen and others, but have wondered if there are players left that play jazz and trumpet in a like manner below.. Anyone know ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkBN3dlyu7o
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothman wrote:
GeorgeB wrote:
....there was a magic surrounding the great players of that era that is missing today.

....wondered if there are players left that play jazz and trumpet in a like manner below.. Anyone know ?

Or ballads like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctNU-Wm51EA
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptptp wrote:

Or ballads like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctNU-Wm51EA

He went out of his way to address that he wasn't a dyed in the wool jazz icon... "It's not a jazz trumpet, I never said it was a jazz trumpet.."

A class act when you're gracious enough to offer that statement, in case musicians resented his playing in some way. It would be fairly ridiculous if they did.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hirt had that kind of magic I was speaking of.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Maynard in the early 2000s. It was a clean performance, it wasn't during his resurgence.....but he had stage presence, charisma, and he owned us.

I've seen Wynton and his septet, Wynton and the LCJO...there's something about watching that band take the stage in those Brooks Brothers suits that lets you know they mean business and you're in for something special.

I think what my generation lacks is modern day showmen on OUR instrument to show the way. WHO is getting out there like a Maynard or Doc and putting on a SHOW. Where can you go to hear them?

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:

A trumpet version of Keny G?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Orleans has a few local trumpeters that stay busy I think.

Trombone Shorty performances look great on the youtube vids.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothman wrote:
In the jazz world, I'm not against checking out Ingrid Jensen and others, but have wondered if there are players left that play jazz and trumpet in a like manner below.. Anyone know ?

Brian Lynch? Ryan Kisor? I think there are a lot of trumpet players who can play in that straight ahead mainstream bop/post-bop jazz style (and like to), but these days they have to play in a variety of styles and gigs (plus hold down a college faculty teaching position, if possible) if they want to make a living from music full time. The result is that there isn't that close connection between the player, that jazz style, and an audience large enough to sustain it in the forefront of public attention.

On a personal level, that is my favorite musical genre -- I'm just grateful I can still buy recordings of it, and occasionally discover new artists keeping the style alive and evolving by listening to radio programs (usually crammed into oddball time slots on publicly-funded local stations) that feature it.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothman wrote:
GeorgeB wrote:
Although Goby is correct in what he says, I am 86 and yes, maybe I live in the past, but there was a magic surrounding the great players of that era that is missing today.

That seems well spoken. In the jazz world, I'm not against checking out Ingrid Jensen and others, but have wondered if there are players left that play jazz and trumpet in a like manner below.. Anyone know ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkBN3dlyu7o

Literally thousands.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's a guy who has found a way to play in front of 35,000 people.

Let's go, Mets!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1565150185474359298
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:

George

Well said!

So much more creativity with a handful of exceptions.
(today's players being post 20th century)

Last edited by stevecass on Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
Well, here's a guy who has found a way to play in front of 35,000 people.

Let's go, Mets!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1565150185474359298

Brass at the ballpark is awesome. Japan uses trumpets a lot for cheers.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The players of old didn’t just have to learn how to play stuff, they had to invent the stuff as well. Modern players can build on the previous generation’s experimentation and then add their own, which effectively gives them more options. But to say either is better…they just have different challenges.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
delano wrote:

A trumpet version of Kenny G?

Kenny K
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't marvel at Pops because he was perfect, we marvel at him because of what was inside him, and how he let it ease out of him........

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An instance of a youngster with good range in high school , not all that impressive on a variety of YT clips. Somehow -- with maturity he ended up developing into a very solid player, and musically as well :

Link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: