• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 3C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mauri

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Bach 3C Reply with quote

What do you think of the new / modern CNC Bach 3C? In terms of comfort and sound.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comfortable and versatile, leaning a bit toward the bright end of the spectrum. Wouldn't be my choice for playing second trumpet in an orchestra, for example, but it is a nice transitional piece, covering a lot of ground between legit and lead.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is still so much variation from one to the next. Yes they are made on CNC machines, but then they are buffed and polished many times before and after plating by both humans and robots. They are not consistent. My local music store let me try 8 new ones, and they were all noticeably different in sound and feel. This was last year.

That does not make them bad. It just means if you don’t like one, maybe try another one.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have read mostly positive comments about them. Sadly, Bach’s most popular mouthpieces (3C, 7C, 1/2C) don’t work well for me (not just Bach though, similar mouthpieces from other manufacturers too). There’s something about them that hinders my embouchure and tone. The new fabrication method doesn’t change that.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
My local music store let me try 8 new ones, and they were all noticeably different in sound and feel. This was last year.

I did the same thing a few years back, when I was still playing on a Bach 3C. I tried three Bach 3C mouthpieces from a local store, and they all felt very much the same. So while I respect Justin's reply, we all have our own experiences.

And to the OP, I think Dayton's reply sums up the Bach 3C.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played for years on a mid to early 90's Bach 3C.

The new ones do not feel quite the same in terms of the rim.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing on the 3C CNC version and think it is a nice well balanced mouthpiece. Great for the money.
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the shops in my major metropolitan area even have 8 3Cs. Much less would they let me open and play them all to discover minor variations. Post-COVID that just doesn’t happen here.

Sounds like a Monty Python sketch. https://youtu.be/ue7wM0QC5LE

Are there differences one to another? Maybe. Do they matter? Only if the audience can hear the difference. Nobody in front of the bell cares how it feels to us.
Mauri

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. In general it seems well balanced, much improved tone, rich in harmonics without being metallic, clean attacks, excellent dynamic range. Maybe it's just my impression
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
There is still so much variation from one to the next. Yes they are made on CNC machines, but then they are buffed and polished many times before and after plating by both humans and robots. They are not consistent. My local music store let me try 8 new ones, and they were all noticeably different in sound and feel. This was last year.

That does not make them bad. It just means if you don’t like one, maybe try another one.

I'm calling bs on this. The tolerances and measurement are within one onethousand of an inch and checked between each stage of the process to maintain those tolerances. If they fail those measurements any time they are rejected.

It's just people believing the old and perpetuating the inconsistencies myths. When you go into a situation believing something whether it is true or not it is called placebo.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
jadickson wrote:

I'm calling bs on this. The tolerances and measurement are within one onethousand of an inch and checked between each stage of the process to maintain those tolerances. If they fail those measurements any time they are rejected.

It's just people believing the old and perpetuating the inconsistencies myths. When you go into a situation believing something whether it is true or not it is called placebo.

I'll second the bs..
Retired Air Force Bandsman
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calling 'BS' is offensive - just because you have not experienced something does not mean that nobody else has, or can.

it might be that most people wouldn't detect any difference, but some people might.

When shopping for shoes or gloves, I often try different items with the same size & model - usually they feel slightly different ...
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
calling 'BS' is offensive - just because you have not experienced something does not mean that nobody else has, or can.

it might be that most people wouldn't detect any difference, but some people might.

When shopping for shoes or gloves, I often try different items with the same size & model - usually they feel slightly different ...

When qc is strict enough they dispose of mouthpieces that are out of spech when one onethousand of an inch during each check at each stage of the process, no. That's why I brought up the placebo effect and why in the medical field and other fields like audio, they do ouble blind testing. When someone believes there is a variation in quality going in, they will perceive that there is whether there is or not. I deal with this in great extent in the audio science community and recording engineering community. We test equipment and use dbx testing as well. I'd wager if you took a proper set of calipers and measured all the mouthpieces, they would be in spec and not have the so called inconsistencies that were perceived.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given a choice, I'll always try several of the same model mouthpiece or horn and take the one I like best. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would be critical of that.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Given a choice, I'll always try several of the same model mouthpiece or horn and take the one I like best. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would be critical of that.

This. I’ve got multiple examples of new Yamaha artist model mouthpieces, which seem very likely to have the most precise and replicable tolerances, and are probably measurably identical in every imaginable way.
They still play (marginally) differently. It may not show up on a spectrometer, and I might fail a double-blind test, but it doesn’t matter. Right here, right now, I feel like there’s a difference, and that is all that matters.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not "believing old myths." I am describing my personal experience with a box of Bach 3C mouthpieces that I tried, just this summer of 2022.

It hurt to be invalidated and ridiculed like that.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m curious as to what Bach 3C design features these newer ones are designed to mimic, or are they a blend of ‘old’ and ‘new’?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted. I was thinking only of inner-diameter cup opening but not considering bore, backbore, and throat.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played an older Bach 3C for many years, but was never really wild about my tone on it. I switched to a Curry 3C. 5 or 6 years ago and have never looked back. The Curry is slightly wider and deeper than my old Bach 3C and with a much more comfortable rim. It’s a great all-around mouthpiece and I like the sound.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I played an older Bach 3C for many years, but was never really wild about my tone on it. I switched to a Curry 3C. 5 or 6 years ago and have never looked back. The Curry is slightly wider and deeper than my old Bach 3C and with a much more comfortable rim. It’s a great all-around mouthpiece and I like the sound.

Curry makes great pieces. I use his cornet pieces and had a chance to try out Rich Willie's trumpet piece a couple times during some of our sessions. I almost went that route instead of the Lotus pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: