• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warm sound + not too open horns

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trollet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Warm sound + not too open horns Reply with quote

Hi guys!
Looking for horn recommendations on my endless safari. Looking for a horn with some resistance, think of a bach 37 with 25 leadpipe, but with a teutonic, warm sound with lots of spread. I'm soo not into the big blowing horns, i want a medium resistance with a warm sound. Is the martin Committee #2 bore good? Schilke B7 perhaps?
Thanks.
Mpcs:
GR 64SZ* - and a bunch more
Bach 7FL
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to delete this if somebody has specific info on the question you answered, but for me, warmth is easier achieved with a mouthpiece change rather than a horn change. I've heard cornets sound like trumpets with the right mouthpiece and vice versa.

If we look at this thread from 2007 about Chris Botti's setup (https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67189) we see that while he is playing a committee, the mouthpiece is also exactly what you need to achieve the sound he does
Quote:
Chris plays on an older New York Bach 3 with a 13 throat for his primary to go with the #3 bore Committee and a New York 3 with a 19 throat for his #2 bore.

Go deeper cup for a warmer sound but to keep the blow efficient, don't alter the throat and keep the backbore conservative. If it's wildly out of tune play with the backbore.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that you might consider a mouthpiece change, but if you decide to go with a new trumpet, a Getzen 3051 is worth considering. Bach 25-style leadpipe, and a 72-style heavy gold brass bell. Wonderfully rich, warm sound, and still fairly versatile.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Looking for horn for a horn with some resistance, think of a Bach 37 with 25 leadpipe, but with a Teutonic, warm sound with lots of spread."

I think this conjures up different sounds fir different people. What players' sound best demonstrates the sound you seek? Maybe a link?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach Vindabona

Rotary
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:
Bach Vindabona

Rotary

Or in piston: Bach 180MLV72G/25

Really really warm? Calicchio 3/9 Copper Solo

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Warm sound + not too open horns Reply with quote

Trollet wrote:
Hi guys!
Looking for horn recommendations on my endless safari. Looking for a horn with some resistance, think of a bach 37 with 25 leadpipe, but with a teutonic, warm sound with lots of spread. I'm soo not into the big blowing horns, i want a medium resistance with a warm sound. Is the martin Committee #2 bore good? Schilke B7 perhaps?
Thanks.

Old Handcraft Imperials are super horns too, at much less ££

The Conn Connstellation 38B I thought was capable of that very buttery smooth warm sound - with the right mouthpiece. It'll also take down a wall with the right mouthpiece

You might also consider a Puje or something modern designed around your concepts!

Best,
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best, cheapest way to get a warmer sound is get an HT3-JAZZ mouthpiece from Steve Dillard on https://www.horntrader.com/product/ht3-jazz/

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again is spot-on.

My first trumpet instructor had a Conn 38B, and when he played softly, it was as warm as any trumpet has a right to be. But it also really lit up when he pushed it.

Or go the whole hog for a Fehrer/Votruba/Schagerl/Lechner/... "Viennese" Rotary Valve Trumpet with a Breslmair G2 mouthpiece
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr oakmount wrote:
bach_again is spot-on.

My first trumpet instructor had a Conn 38B, and when he played softly, it was as warm as any trumpet has a right to be. But it also really lit up when he pushed it.

Or go the whole hog for a Fehrer/Votruba/Schagerl/Lechner/... "Viennese" Rotary Valve Trumpet with a Breslmair G2 mouthpiece

I would add Kanstul's near-clone of the 38B, the 991. I can attest that the right mouthpieces will make it piercingly bright or flugelhorn dark.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
kramergfy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with the 37; get a deep mouthpiece and dark backbore with the same rim you play, then get a medium bore tuning slide.

Or as others suggested, try a 72 Vindabona. It will blow familiar like a 37 and act like a 37 intonation wise, but have a much broader and darker core sound.

Thread killer.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
I'm happy to delete this if somebody has specific info on the question you answered, but for me, warmth is easier achieved with a mouthpiece change rather than a horn change. I've heard cornets sound like trumpets with the right mouthpiece and vice versa.

This has been my experience as well!

jhatpro wrote:
Best, cheapest way to get a warmer sound is get an HT3-JAZZ mouthpiece from Steve Dillard on https://www.horntrader.com/product/ht3-jazz/

Or a Reeves C2J for a similar experience, sound wise but maybe a little more expensive!

Life is Short, find the Joy in it!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouthpieces ... well ... it depends.

Yes, of course it is true. A change of mouthpiece will change the sound of the trumpet, radically so. I do try to find 2 to 3 different mouthpieces to complement each of my instruments to give me a range of sounds and characteristics.

However, every trumpet has its "comfort zone". My Adams A5 is happiest with narrow backbores and shallowish cups. Yes, with a big mouthpiece I can make it sound like a "teutonic" classical/orchestral trumpet, but it will cause problems (very open in the high range, intonation), so I might go to my Yamaha 6335GH instead (which I would not use for "commercial", even though I do have a screamer mouthpiece for it).

Yes, do find a mouthpiece for the sound you like, but not to push your instrument out of the zone where its strengths lie.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotary trumpet or a mouthpiece such as Curry TF or TC would probably work.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
JeffTheHornGuy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second the Puje - I have one, and the blow definitely has that cornet style resistance yet a nice warmth and responsiveness. (I'm also selling mine, but that doesn't change my recommendation!)
Custom Lawler C7
Electronic music producer
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First we need to understand what you mean for "warm". I see often a confusion between "warm" and "dark". Chet Baker has a "dark sound", Harry James has a "warm" sound. With this in mind, assuming you're looking for a "warm" harry james like sound, my suggestion is to look at the mouthpiece. For MY playing i can have a "warm" sound using medium shallow pieces with a compressed backbore (the Curry 5Z is my choice for this kind of sound, but to each his own of course). Once you've found a piece that gives you the sound you're looking for you can start looking for the best horn to match. The ultimate in "warm" sound in my opinion is a piece as suggested plus a vintage Conn (the 8b, rare to find, is the warmer -always imho).
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Trollet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the many replies! I have many different mouthpieces and have "flugel" cup mouthpieces, but i would really like to stick to two mouthpieces, 1 for lead, and 1 for allround (C cup). I dont want to have to go to the very deeps cups, but still have a warmer sound. So a horn sooo dark, it sounds too dark for allround work with a C cup.
I have found the trumpets with a very broad big sound is very open in nature, is their any way to find a horrn that can have this broad nature without being huge. Maybe these huge belled trumpets such as lotus solo max or taylor is the way to go? Pls give me more thoughts i love hearing from you'all!

(Deep inside i know practicing my sound concept is the real solution here but hey go with me!)
Mpcs:
Bach 7FL
Trollet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffTheHornGuy wrote:
I'd second the Puje - I have one, and the blow definitely has that cornet style resistance yet a nice warmth and responsiveness. (I'm also selling mine, but that doesn't change my recommendation!)

i actually had a Puje about a year ago. But damn that thing was BRIGHT, craaaazy bright, ofcourse depending on the setup it can be anything, but that particular horn was very bright. Would have played lead on it if it wasn't a Puje
Mpcs:
Bach 7FL
Trollet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr oakmount wrote:
Mouthpieces ... well ... it depends.

Yes, of course it is true. A change of mouthpiece will change the sound of the trumpet, radically so. I do try to find 2 to 3 different mouthpieces to complement each of my instruments to give me a range of sounds and characteristics.

However, every trumpet has its "comfort zone". My Adams A5 is happiest with narrow backbores and shallowish cups. Yes, with a big mouthpiece I can make it sound like a "teutonic" classical/orchestral trumpet, but it will cause problems (very open in the high range, intonation), so I might go to my Yamaha 6335GH instead (which I would not use for "commercial", even though I do have a screamer mouthpiece for it).

Yes, do find a mouthpiece for the sound you like, but not to push your instrument out of the zone where its strengths lie.

I like your thinking, i want a trumpet with very strong strengths towards the big mellow spectrum.
Mpcs:
Bach 7FL
Trollet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
"Looking for horn for a horn with some resistance, think of a Bach 37 with 25 leadpipe, but with a Teutonic, warm sound with lots of spread."

I think this conjures up different sounds fir different people. What players' sound best demonstrates the sound you seek? Maybe a link?

I have alot of "trumpet heroes", for a dark sound i like Wynton, Hargrove, Tony Glausi, Till Bronner. Smokey (air in the sound) is probably a common factor among them. That is more dependent on how i play ofcourse.
Mpcs:
Bach 7FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: