• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Embouchure changing for every note

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBob8888

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Embouchure changing for every note Reply with quote

I’m currently a sophomore trumpet performance major at Baldwin Wallace, and recently my teacher has been telling me that I keep moving my top lip whenever I play or change notes. I’ve spent hours trying to figure out any way to not do this, as it’s affecting my endurance, range, and tone, and I can’t seem to figure out anything that works. I’ve tried the whole Stevens-Costello embouchure thing, but I’m naturally a downstream player and changing to upstream really diminishes my tone and makes everything way more difficult. I’ve also noticed that changing my tongue shape to different vowels does nothing. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is? The only thing I can think of is that I’m not relaxed enough, in which case, could anyone tell me anything that I can do to relax? Thanks in advance

Bach 190s37
Bach C239
King Tempo 600
CTrumpeter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT

Last edited by CTrumpeter on Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way you seem to be pulling in different directions makes me wonder if an integrated approach might work. Have you considered The Balanced Embouchure?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't know what the teacher is trying to achieve but in general, I'd be concerned with that advice. If you make a visible change with every note transition then you're likely to run out of adjustment. I don't doubt that the embouchure needs to change, but that the changes needs to be all but imperceptibly small.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be that you are trying to establish the 'perfect' lip / embouchure for each individual note. True that some change lip adjustment of the lips is usually needed, but there shouldn't be actual mouthpiece movement on the lips unless the the note change is a very large interval. You need to find a 'useful' position for the mouthpiece on your lips that will enable note changes by small 'internal embouchure' adjustments.

Regarding use of your tongue - it is not really the physical position of the tongue (other people might disagree), but the muscular effort and resulting changes to your lips and jaw that result from forcing your tongue into those position. Just 'passively' moving your tongue won't give the desired results.
You should be able to feel some 'pull' or 'push' on your lips and jaw resulting from the tongue movement.

Regarding upstream / downstream / jaw - you should learn how to use and control your jaw and the distribution of mouthpiece rim pressure between the upper and lower lips.

My thoughts about 'basic embouchure' are here -
http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/Embouchure_Basic_Concepts.htm

BTW - my wife is from Berea, and I attended a music clinic (Ed Lisk) at B-W many years ago.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.

Last edited by JayKosta on Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Embouchure changing for every note Reply with quote

MrBob8888 wrote:
I’m currently a sophomore trumpet performance major at Baldwin Wallace, and recently my teacher has been telling me that I keep moving my top lip whenever I play or change notes. I’ve spent hours trying to figure out any way to not do this, as it’s affecting my endurance, range, and tone, and I can’t seem to figure out anything that works. I’ve tried the whole Stevens-Costello embouchure thing, but I’m naturally a downstream player and changing to upstream really diminishes my tone and makes everything way more difficult. I’ve also noticed that changing my tongue shape to different vowels does nothing. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is? The only thing I can think of is that I’m not relaxed enough, in which case, could anyone tell me anything that I can do to relax? Thanks in advance

Get off this site and go talk to your teacher!!!!!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume he's had more than one conversation with his teacher. And that doesn't seem to be working.

@Mr. Bob, is this Baldwin Wallace's primary teacher or a Graduate Assistant?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I would assume he's had more than one conversation with his teacher. And that doesn't seem to be working.

@Mr. Bob, is this Baldwin Wallace's primary teacher or a Graduate Assistant?

You perhaps should check out who his teacher is.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the OP (BOB) should discuss this with his teacher.
Perhaps some of the items that we mention in this thread will help 'put into words' the concepts and actions that are involved.

'Talking to the teacher' can be very helpful, but it does require effective 2-way communication and understanding.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I’ve also noticed that changing my tongue shape to different vowels does nothing. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is? The only thing I can think of is that I’m not relaxed enough, in which case, could anyone tell me anything that I can do to relax?

Is this one of those teachers who thinks that the oral shape directly controls the pitch? and that the lips do not? and the lips should therefore never change?

If so, he is completely wrong. (If you haven't figured that out already.)

The muscles of the lips control lip posture for controlling the pitch played. For many players the tongue does move along in tandem which makes things more natural in feel.

I have developed an approach to play with less effort in general and to reduce embouchure effort increase as you ascend. Contact me.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Embouchure changing for every note Reply with quote

MrBob8888 wrote:
my teacher has been telling me that I keep moving my top lip whenever I play or change notes. I’ve spent hours trying to figure out any way to not do this...

Ask him what he hears that is prompting this solution. If you can figure out how to eliminate the problem from your sound, then there should be no complaints from the physical manifestation of it all. Right now, we (trumpetherald) don't know if he is diagnosing you via just visual or because of audio/visual. And I don't believe you have the answer either.

Jack Sutte is a monster player but sometimes asking the right question of your teacher (even if it's scary at times) is important. Ultimately there is no solution that Sutte or the internet will provide that doesn't require you to do the work yourself. Sometimes that work will be incredibly frustrating. Stick with the guy you are paying thousands to study with. Improvement, at times, isn't linear.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video below helped reinforce the concept of minimal movement when changing notes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rguWZdqTmgY

The smallest distance between two notes is a half step. I would practice chromatics/Clarke 1 type exercise focused on minimizing movement.

If I recall there are also some efficiency exercises in John Daniels Special Studies.

Focus on the advice you are getting from your teacher, dont panic, and most of all dont start going down the embouchure over analysis rabbit hole.

My 2 cents for what its worth.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
ttrumpett

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/krORily35gg

Maybe try what Rex does in the first 10 seconds of this video. He is a monster player but still practices the basics. At first just bend down a half step and do the half-step-up fingering only. If doing the Ab fingering while trying to play a G is tough, skip it and start at F#, then F, etc, or low B…or middle B…wherever may be successful. If you get some bends working, try to do them at quieter dynamics over time. If your corners are pulling back making your lips thin, they to move them a few millimeters at a time inward and keep them firm while allowing for some cushion inside the mouthpiece, but without puckering/kissing formation. Ideally the trumpet/lips should react to the air stream without being forced.

John Daniel’s book is absolutely fantastic. He explains things really clearly and concisely. His poo-doo exercises are great for tone production and his flexibility/bending studies are amazing as well. I don’t have Rex Richardson’s new book yet, but I think I’ll buy it now…

I suggest trying out lots of different things people tell you. Pick one or two things and do them just 5-10 min per day for a few weeks. If it helps, keep doing it. If it doesn’t help, switch to something else, but give things a chance with consistency over a few weeks. Maybe pick one concept to do at the beginning of the day and another concept to do at the end of the day. In the middle of the day just try to make music. If you’re feeling ultra frustrated, put the horn down for a few minutes/hours. (My 20 year old self would have hated that last sentence.) Patience and persistence will be worth it in the long run! Good luck, you can do it!
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the OP is seeking info from others besides his teacher (to whom he is paying considerable bucks, I assume), perhaps an easy way for some fairly universal info and help might come from purchasing the Irons "27 Groups..." and Colin "Advanced Lip Flexibilities...(Complete)", spend time reading/understanding the text/diagrams, begin working on the exercises and arrempt to add/apply those (probably) new skills to regular playing.

If there is any question concerning embouchure/facial movement while playing, it can easily be addressed by recording one's self and playing it back. For the most part, a vast majority of "us" have learned to use what seems to work since we began playing- in my case some 60 years ago. But if we hung on all of those years we likely hit a place where we were as "good" as we could get and the abilities needed left us behind because we didn't improve on our efficiency to move around the ever-increasing demands of pitch, range, and flexibility.

In the end, there is only so much difference in facial and oral (including tongue) movement that we can undergo while playing in various registers and volumes before we run out of "distance". This, along with how the breath is used dictates how high/low/loud/soft we can play, and for how long. Obviously, the less we work those muscles, the longer we'll be able to use them without adverse fatigue. And there are serious limitations to how fast we are able to make those changes if we're relying on muscles visible outside of the mouthpiece rim. The primary change must happen inside and behind the mouthpiece, where it likely won't be so obvious while looking in a mirror or at a video.

I've got to believe that the teacher can be of help here, but perhaps it is merely a communications issue. In any event, perhaps Irons or Colin can assist in the understanding. Good luck.
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:

Regarding use of your tongue - it is not really the physical position of the tongue (other people might disagree), but the muscular effort and resulting changes to your lips and jaw that result from forcing your tongue into those position. Just 'passively' moving your tongue won't give the desired results.
You should be able to feel some 'pull' or 'push' on your lips and jaw resulting from the tongue movement.

That is what changes the pitch when anchor tonguing. Not the exact position of the tongue but the MOVING of the tongue.

It is like a light switch. You have to move it until it clicks. Move it halfway and nothing at all happens. Move it all the way the light comes on.
The noes are the same. Move the tongue half way nothing happens.

Plus the direction of the movement.
Anchor tonguing is NOT simply tongue arch. It is arched AGAINST the front of the mouth. That is what moves your jaw and changes the lip alignment which changes the pitch.

That is the basic idea.
Instead of YOU making your lip move, you move your tongue and that causes tiny embouchure corrections that are hard to see. It evens out the sound between registers too.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Embouchure changing for every note Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Get off this site and go talk to your teacher!!!!!

Apparently there’s a bit of a snag in the communication between teacher and student, otherwise they wouldn’t be seeking information elsewhere. Billy B does have a point though: have you asked your teacher to show how you’re supposed to achieve what’s being asked? Admit to your teacher that you’re having difficulty in understanding what they’re trying to teach. Being upfront about your doubts and questions can help your teacher to better teach you.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about what each physical element does for your playing.

Some people think about using facial muscles and only facial muscles to play every note.
(I consider this to be the biggest problem a player could have.)

Cons
Regardless of embouchure played; using facial muscles and only facial muscles to play has less endurance than anything else we can do.
Players like Doc who played 12 hour days do NOT have magic muscles. They do something else so that they don't have to try to use muscles for every note change.
I have lots of students that are full time playing pros and they play anywhere from 8-14 hours a day every day. There is NO way to build that much muscle endurance. Something else is running things.

Another problem with using only facial muscles to play is that when playing a 2 octave C scale it has strained sounding notes at the top. Sometimes the strain starts as low as 4th line D.
The strained sound is because they are using such a high % of their facial muscles to play. They are simply so tense that the lips don't vibrate freely.

Great players have something else going on besides just using facial muscles to play.

Many players also have this problem and their range on any given breath is based on their starting note.
If they start on Low G they will not be able to play as high on that 1 breath as they could play if they started on 3rd space C. This is a sign that they have no consistent lip setpoint and play with multiple embouchures.
(I consider this to be the 2nd biggest problem a player could have.)

Most players don't understand the difference between anchor tonguing and tongue arch. The difference in results is so big that I actually don't know a great teacher that pushes arching the tongue.
Clarke talked about how dorsal tonguing (anchor tonguing) was helpful.
Maggio / MacBeth (who wrote the book),
Gordon with k tongue (anchor tonguing),
Even people like Stevens who wrote to NEVER arch the tongue, actually anchor tongued in his playing.
(Arching the tongue and anchor tonguing are NOTHING alike.)

Arching the tongue does not alter the lip to lip alignment. Anchor tonguing does alter lip alignment because it moves the tongue so much that the jaw moves.
It is the jaw movement that we care about but we use the anchor tonguing to cause it. In that way the jaw movement happens gradually and smoothly as we play higher and higher.

The forward arch also helps us to blow air to a smaller section of our lips as we get to the HISS tonguing. That makes less lip tissue vibrate helping our range.
There are a couple of articles about exciting less lip mass in upper register playing.
Also a book of findings from a study at the University of BC in 1975. That study showed that using a more narrow air stream played a higher note.

They used rubber lips and an air compressor. They checked the air speed and the air pressure at the end of the hose and then put the hose against the rubber lips. It played a note.

They pinched the hose (with a clamp I think) to make the air stream half as wide as before. They checked the air speed and pressure and had to go to the compressor to turn it down. They adjusted the compressor so that the air speed and pressure were the same as before they pinched the hose. They then put the hose against the rubber lips and the pitch it played was 1 octave higher.

When we anchor tongue in the upper register and make that Hiss or Siss or SSS or TSS sound (different teachers spell the syllable in different ways) we create a smaller air stream. The sides of the tongue touch the front of the mouth from above the gums to the lower teeth. It makes a funnel. It is wide at the top and narrow by the space between the teeth where then air goes to hit the lips.
Simple arching the tongue can't do the same because the tip of the tongue is not touching anything and there is no funnel from the top of the mouth to the teeth. The air that may have become focused is allowed to spread back out.

That is why the forward arch against the teeth and the tip always touching the lower teeth is so important. No tip touching means NO air stream focus.

This is just the bare bones basic idea of course. How we use breath support , how we use sound models, how and WHAT we practice, expanding our ideas of musicality and many other things come together to make a great player
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They adjusted the compressor so that the air speed and pressure were the same as before they pinched the hose. They then put the hose against the rubber lips and the pitch it played was 1 octave higher.

Such a mechanical artificial system is not the same as the human player system. Changing the vibrational limits could yield a particular pitch on a mechanical system.

When playing the trumpet, the vibrational limits of the lip aperture is the inside of mouthpiece rim. This is the optimum way to play. One could use a smaller portion of this of this but only by a high effort of lip muscular effort. And this severely weaken the tones because the aperture area becomes so small that it severely limits the air flow. Limiting tonal power.

There is nothing one can do inside the mouth with the tongue that will directly control the pitch played. Let it be where it is most comfortable for what you are doing. And when you have strength AND efficiency of effort you will never have to play in a "hissing" tongue posture. That alone indicates you are using excessive embouchure effort.

Tongue movement is strongly related to the effort of the roll-out action which is PART of the total lip "firming" action to ascend.

There is also a severe detriment to air power delivered should one intentionally try to "hiss" with the tongue. That drastically reduces the air pressure and flow available to the playing aperture, which in turn requires far more blowing effort. "Focusing" the air is not required and can easily be shown as such.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP says moving his chops when he plays affects his "endurance, range, and tone "but that he "can’t seem to figure out anything that works". Could it be that he's looking in the wrong place?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
fleming

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: BW trumpet Reply with quote

Assuming Jack Sutte is your teacher? Perhaps a deeper conversation with him is in order. He’s a smart guy, wonderful player, and it would be hard to find a better resource when it comes to learning to play the trumpet.

Looking for answers via this blog is not a great idea.

If you need more guidance, there are many, many excellent players and teachers in your neck of the woods.

Sadly, a number of very accomplished teachers and performers have decided to stop posting to this blog.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: