• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

practice questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taswalb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: practice questions Reply with quote

Starting my 4th week back. I'm focusing on tone and trying to build up my endurance. Staying on and below the staff (occasionally will play a g above the staff), playing soft. I am practicing 3 times a day, 7 days a week. I'm now up to 25 to 30 min each session. For the most part I think I'm making progress. But about once a week my tone seems fuzzy.

Now for my questions...
1. On Mondays, I need to use a mute for my first 2 sessions (due to baby sitting in my house). Other than not really being able to asses my tone is there any other derogatory affects of practicing with a mute at this point?

2. Should I take a day off once a week? I am practicing until my lip feels some fatigue. I'm not playing until my lip feels dead.

3. I've been reading about the pencil exercise. At this point, good or bad?

Thanks.

Yamaha Allegro 5335 G
Mouthpieces Bach 3C, Yamaha 14B4 GP, Bach 7C
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to trumpet playing!

Mutes impact sound, and also resistance. Necessarily evil, sometimes, but just be aware that they can change how you blow the horn.

As for a day off, it probably won't hurt, but I'd look to your daily practice first. If you are practicing 25-30 minutes per session, three times per day, you are at or approaching 90 minutes per day. That's a lot for someone just four weeks into playing the trumpet (unless you stopped playing within the past few years). I would suggest stopping before you feel fatigue. You can accomplish a lot in three 15 minute sessions and build gradually from there.

The pencil exercise and other exercises intended to build strength in the muscles that control the embouchure can help if done correctly. But they also fatigue your chops, so I'd suggest going easy on them, if you do them at all, until you have built up more endurance.

Also, as unsolicited advice, I'd suggest that you start working with a teacher as soon as possible. He/she can help you put together a practice routine -- what, how and how long to practice -- that meets your situation and goals. A good teacher, and sensible, diligent practice, are your keys to success.

Good luck!
raynjtrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re taking a day off, I'd say "try it." You're working a lot of muscles in your face that haven't been used much for 40 years, and they need some time to repair after your workouts, just as gym trainers will usually advise taking a day off after lifting weights. I've recently been trying to take off or at least drastically lighten my practice sessions one or two days a week, and I think I'm actually doing better than when I was more fanatical about not missing a day.

It's unlikely to hurt, and it may help.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A day off once in a while could be helpful, but don't let it become a necessary thing or it to become more and more frequent.

I suggest instead of dropping a day, practice with variable intensity, like a top level athlete. Not every day can be a "max" day.
Consider a 3-5 day cycle of increasing intensity & duration (day one-light, with fundamentals and lyrical playing. day two-add on.. etc until you have a day that is full and taxes your chops pretty heavily - then repeat the cycle)
Retired Air Force Bandsman
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. On Mondays, I need to use a mute for my first 2 sessions (due to baby sitting in my house). Other than not really being able to asses my tone is there any other derogatory affects of practicing with a mute at this point?

Yes. If you cannot practice the full unmuted horn, then skip it and rest.

Quote:
2. Should I take a day off once a week? I am practicing until my lip feels some fatigue. I'm not playing until my lip feels dead.

Rest for a day or more occasionally. Or practice some days lightly, without going near fatigue.

Quote:
3. I've been reading about the pencil exercise. At this point, good or bad?
There are strengthening exercises that involve playing actual tone. Static lip flexing exercises do not necessarily require a pencil.

You may also need to assess your embouchure approach. You are likely using excessive effort.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="zaferis" I suggest instead of dropping a day, practice with variable intensity, like a top level athlete. Not every day can be a "max" day.
Consider a 3-5 day cycle of increasing intensity & duration (day one-light, with fundamentals and lyrical playing. day two-add on.. etc until you have a day that is full and taxes your chops pretty heavily - then repeat the cycle)[/quote]
This^^^ and for grounding and a good, reliable daily focus on fundamental technique you might consider, https://www.amazon.com/ALEXANDRE-PETIT-VIRTUOSE-EXERCISES-TROMPETTE/dp/B000ZG6VU2

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is like shooting in the dark. Get a teacher to turn the light on for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: