• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pickett 3C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mauri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:04 am    Post subject: Pickett 3C Reply with quote

Does anyone play with the Pickett 3C Backbore #10-3
Bore: #27 (3.66 mm) ?
Differences with the modern Bach 3C?
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rim shape is different. To me the Pickett rim feels like the high point is closer to the inside edge. The sound is mellower.

The 10-2 backbore is closer to the Bach 3C's backbore. The 10-3 is tighter than the 10-2.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed, I find Pickett's 3C rim to feel sharper (more bite), and the cup a bit deeper/rounder than a Bach 3C
(my feel and visual comparison only)
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do all of my playing on a Pickett 3 rim, mainly with the CD and C cups. I have the 10-3 backbore, but use the regular 3 more often.

I don't have a Bach 3C handy to compare it to again, but the previous descriptions seem accurate to the best of my recollection: The C cup may be slightly deeper on the Pickett, the rim may have more bite (but still very comfortable), and the 3 backbone maybe slightly tighter.

I initially started using Pickett mouthpieces just in cold weather -- the acrylic tops are GREAT for that -- and eventually came to prefer the rim and the versatility of the different cup and backbore options with the same rim.
Mauri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pickett hoop seems slightly smaller than the Bach 3C and it's more comfortable. Even the depth appears to be slightly deeper, but very little. The cup at the bottom is rounder. Darker sound than Bach 3C. The high notes do not screech like in the Bach.
annvill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annullato

Last edited by annvill on Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Pickett 3C came free with my Shires Bb horn. I have played a Bach 3C equivalent mouthpiece for decades, and this one gives me very nice articulation. It's a very good sound on a C trumpet. I don't like the rim shape as much as my GR or even Warburton, but in a pinch I could certainly play it.
Mauri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riojazz wrote:
A Pickett 3C came free with my Shires Bb horn. I have played a Bach 3C equivalent mouthpiece for decades, and this one gives me very nice articulation. It's a very good sound on a C trumpet. I don't like the rim shape as much as my GR or even Warburton, but in a pinch I could certainly play it.

But your sound impressions?
ALETRUMPET

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Pickett 3C #10-3, #27. Cup height like the Bach 3C, but more bowl-like.
Slightly sharp edge. Sweeter sound. When you hit high notes, the Bach 3C tends to creak, the Pickett doesn't. So I would say excellent, but I found it more difficult than Bach.
annvill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very interested in the review of this mouthpiece, especially the sound comparison with the MODERN Bach 3C. Anyone else using it?
Zack_Mac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched from a Bach 3C to a Pickett 3C a couple years ago. I have a #3 backbore but I favor the #10-2. The Pickett 3C rim is definitely smaller than a Bach and I feel it is more cushioned. I love the Pickett rim contour which is why I switched. I have a 3BC, 3C, 3CD and 3D and they all keep the same rim feel regardless of cup depth.

I don’t play on a 3 rim as much anymore and I switched to a 2C about a year ago. The 2C rim size feels identical to a Bach 3C rim and they measure the same. I think you should try them both.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: