• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Caruso and overcoming programmed responses.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Caruso and overcoming programmed responses. Reply with quote

This stuff is harder than it looks. Old tricks die hard.

After one or two notes and nose breathing, I catch myself breathing through an open mouth. Nice and relaxed but not, well, through the nose.

I tap my feet on the first few beats at first, then realize somewhere that I have stopped it. I've learned early and always moved my big toe inside my shoe, so it doesn't show, but the toe tapping is more obvious and, I suspect, has wider physiological effects.

I have a good internal clock, so defer to it for tempo, forgetting to make the tempo more external.

The best way to overcome a habit is not to fight against it but to replace it. This Caruso definitely calls for that.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly I can stick with the instructions and play accordingly, but I also find myself slipping into breathing through the mouth every now and then. It's the breathing through the nose thing I find toughest about Caruso 6 Notes.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
Mostly I can stick with the instructions and play accordingly, but I also find myself slipping into breathing through the mouth every now and then. It's the breathing through the nose thing I find toughest about Caruso 6 Notes.
George

Am I correct in thinking that the purpose for breathing from the nose is to keep the embouchure in the same position?
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetstud wrote:
GeorgeB wrote:
George

Am I correct in thinking that the purpose for breathing from the nose is to keep the embouchure in the same position?

You are correct. The purpose is NOT to make the muscles stronger through isometrics. The purpose of the nose breath is so the lips do not change their position relative to one another or their position in relation to the mouthpiece (placement) during the rest/breath.

The lips should be allowed to work and adjust while playing, but not adjusted when resting. Carmine said we "work the lips" inside the mouthpiece. But we don't manipulate the lips. We allow them to adjust and we observe, all the while devoting the majority of our attention to timing, rhythm, subdividing.

Adjustments of the embouchure while playing are not caused by the conscious mind controlling or manipulating the lips. The lips are allowed to adjust according to the control from the unconscious mind. The conscious mind focuses on timing and subdividing. We do not "fix" anything. improvements happen gradually over time from repetition, discipline, and exposure to the demands of timing.

He also told me that if I was unable to breathe through my nose due to congestion, allergies, etc. it was perfectly fine to breathe through the corners, as long as I didn't reposition the mouthpiece or the lips inside the mouthpiece.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: