• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dental work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polanve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Dental work Reply with quote

I'm back to practicing my instrument every day, but I have some very old caps on my top front teeth that need to be replaced. Is there any advice on finding a dentist that understands how important front teeth are to a trumpet player? I'm in the NY Metro area.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I speak from the perspective of someone whose mouth is a monument to modern dentistry and my advice is find the very best dentist, even he or she plays an accordion.

Research all sources of information on local practitioners. Here’s a start: https://www.dentalinsider.com/

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No particular advice but I wouldn't advise letting anyone but someone with a lot of experience with wind players work on my front teeth. My primary dentist helped orchestrate my case when a top front tooth went terribly wrong. She plays flute but has history helping brass players.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Ancientram

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject: Dentistry Reply with quote

Contact some of the trumpet or horn players in the NY Phil, explain your situation, and ask who does their dental work.

Hope this helps!
Ancientram

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:33 pm    Post subject: Dentistry Edit Reply with quote

Don't know why I thought you were in NY.

Make that contact horn or trumpet players in your local pro orchestra...
Polanve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the advice. Yes, I am in the NY area, it was in the post. I'm beginning my search for a dentist with experience working on brass players now.
daveinaz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
I speak from the perspective of someone whose mouth is a monument to modern dentistry and my advice is find the very best dentist, even he or she plays an accordion.

Research all sources of information on local practitioners. Here’s a start: https://www.dentalinsider.com/

Thank you, so much, for that link to DentalInsider. I'd long since learned not to trust Yelp reviews of dentists, but didn't know of an alternative. I may actually be able to find a good dentist now! Then I'll be able to again.
daveinaz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:

Thank you, so much, for that link to DentalInsider. I'd long since learned not to trust Yelp reviews of dentists, but didn't know of an alternative. I may actually be able to find a good dentist now! Then I'll be able to again.
Polanve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and the link. I'm going to take my time researching, I'll be sure to come back and report afterwards.
KiaraEdward003

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Try to get consultation Reply with quote

It's better to have a consultation before you decide from internet. Maybe you should visit any clinics that give cosmetic dental treatments.

Last edited by KiaraEdward003 on Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
scott@95603
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two front, upper teeth were capped after many years of playing the trumpet. After they were capped, I was not able to play for quite some time because the length of my teeth had changed. My advice to you is this: Before the old caps are removed, be sure that you first have a quality impression of your current teeth formation so that you can adjust your new caps if needed to more closely mimic your old caps. Now, if you are a beginner trumpet player, it may not be so important, but if you have played for awhile it might be quite important. Scott
English Besson cornet 1893
Kanstul 1530 cornet
Polanve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Dental work Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who has commented. I had the work done by my regular dentist after a consultation in which he assured me that dental technology has advanced since the old ones were done. It did take some time getting used to, but my dentist was right, the new caps have worked out great. They are a little shorter than the old ones, and much less sharp. I think most of my difficulty with the change was because I had formed bad habits trying not to hurt myself with the old caps. I think the most important thing for these teeth is that they be straight and smooth and even, and the right length to provide comfortable support. I'm glad my story has a happy ending, and I hope that anyone reading this considering dental work is helped by my experience, Thanks again to all!
stephJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to dental work, especially concerning front teeth, it's crucial to ensure you're in capable hands. I don't have any specific advice, but I wouldn't recommend entrusting this task to anyone without substantial experience in dealing with wind instrument players' unique dental needs. I personally had an unfortunate experience where my top front tooth needed significant attention, and my primary dentist, who happens to play the flute, was instrumental in managing my case effectively. It's worth considering experts like those at https://www.vipdentalny.com/dental-implants-in-forest-hills-queens/ who understand the specific requirements and nuances of wind instrument players. Ultimately, finding a dentist with the right experience can make a significant difference in the outcome of your dental care.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: