• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

VennCAD .mpc files

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyletgoup

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: VennCAD .mpc files Reply with quote

I've started to dabble with VennCAD and I'm enamored with the endless customization possibilities. Super cool/geeky software. I want to be clear, I'm not trying to to circumvent their business model and avoid paying to have my mouthpieces scanned. I'm just really interested in comparing/tinkering with some GR, Greg Black, and other brands of mouthpieces, some of which I own, but most of which I do not.

There are some great mouthpieces to choose from in the Public Library of the software, but is sharing of "Private Library" .mpc files something that goes on or is that frowned upon? Obviously if I ever want a piece made, it will go through Vennture. Just want to see if any of the other trumpet geeks out there are sharing .mpc files.

Oh, the possibilities...I best prepare my budget...

Thanks!
dsmcvey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official answer is: I HIGHLY encourage sharing of files. If others have made designs as .mpc files, or have had things scanned (we send scans as .ref files that can be imported into the comparator), nothing would make me happier than people exchanging these, publicly or privately. Email them, dropbox them, post them on websites. Let 'er rip!
If people can learn from these designs, or incorporate portions into their new designs - I will be very pleased by that!
And when people use VennCAD to 3D print their designs for themselves or their friends - even though we don't make money there, it warms my heart to think of the tool being used to provide useful (and usable!) prototypes to increase learning and foster iteration and optimization.
To be perfectly frank: we don't really make all that much money from scanning pieces. The idea is to do little better than break even. By the time you factor in having a convo with the mouthpiece owner, receiving the piece, scanning it, sending the results to the owner, packaging the piece back up, and paying for the return postage - it covers our costs. Ish. If we could scan everything free, we would!
With that said - the latest publicly released version - posted just a few days ago - increases the built in library from a couple hundred to nearly 700 pieces. Worth downloading for Mac or PC!!
doug@vennture.mp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: