• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

removing silver plating/ Re-plating mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotchbrassman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject: removing silver plating/ Re-plating mouthpiece Reply with quote

I have an old NY Bach 3c that someone wayyy over plated upon re-plating. Is there a way for someone to remove the plating and expose the brass chemically so as to not just grind down the metal? I also have some other mouthpieces Id like re-plated, who does this and how?
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s possible; my teachers trumpet just came back from de-plating and looks great. You could then „simply“ re-plate, I’d assume. I have no idea about the cost or who could do it in the US but my guess would be the usual suspects: Landress, Melk, Ita, DQ, …

Edit: assuming from your nick that you are in Scotland, so maybe Taylor, Eclipse, Matt Parker, …
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Melk once told me that removing silver plating through reverse-electrolytic action works fine on brass items, but if there is nickel underlying the silver plating, it will get pitted. Obviously, this won't be an issue with a brass mouthpiece.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: removing silver plating/ Re-plating mouthpiece Reply with quote

scotchbrassman wrote:
I have an old NY Bach 3c that someone wayyy over plated upon re-plating.
Just curious...how do you know this? Anderson's and Schilke still do plating as far as I am aware.
scotchbrassman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: removing silver plating/ Re-plating mouthpiece Reply with quote

[quote="AndyDavids"][quote="scotchbrassman"]I have an old NY Bach 3c that someone wayyy over plated upon re-plating.[/quote]Just curious...how do you know this? Anderson's and Schilke still do plating as far as I am aware.[/quote]

I can see the 3C through the poor plating job, also diameter checks out
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very easy for a plating shop to electrically remove Silver plate from a brass mouthpiece. Anyone that deals with Anderson can have it done for you.

Yes, nickel slide tubing and other nickel parts can be badly pitted by the reverse plating process. Brass is unaffected.

Schilke never did in-house silver plating. They buffed the horns and then drove them over to Anderson Silver Plating to have silver or gold applied. Anderson Silver Plating is still in business.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: