• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Teeth & Types

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Teeth & Types Reply with quote

Here's a question for Doug or Rich. When I started to take "informal lessons" with Chris LaBarbera beginning in 2006, I was all cut up, flabby chin, etc. got addicted to Reinhart and been devout ever since. At the time, I had long front (Horse) teeth, which I've filed on my own a little bit at a time over the past 15 years.
Despite that, I'm STILL a 3B (and Chris remained a 3B also after he filed his teeth) yet others (Ken Titmus for example) filed his front teeth and became a 3A. What gives? Also, I don't feel my placement has come up much if at all on my top lip despite filing (though my sound is brighter and my range has increased, I used to only be your typical 3B high G player lol). Is this b/c some people have a shorter top lip area than others? Lip thickness? Gums?
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug will hopefully chime in here, but my understanding is that the primary difference between IIIB and IIIA is Pivot Classification Two (for the IIIB) where the direction of muscular tension is down to ascend and up to descend. Pivot Classification One (for the IIIA) is the exact opposite.

I don't think a slight change in the length of your teeth would be enough on its own to cause your Pivot Classification to change, but that's why we're waiting to hear what Doug has to say.

Good question, man!
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few thoughts:
If you're serious about having a long career, LEAVE YOUR TEETH ALONE! If you understand anything about chops, there are ways to work around whatever you mistakenly think is a teeth problem. Whatever short term issue you think it solved always ends up being "too much" or "not enough" or "should have left it alone."

Regarding the IIIB/IIIA issue... I have seen dozens of players who thought they were IIIB (and Doc or other Reinhardt guys thought that) who are really IIIA's playing wrong. Rich is a prime example. I truly don't think anybody "becomes IIIA" - if that's what it seems like, they just discovered how they should have been playing all along. BTW, many years ago I played a transatlantic big band cruise gig with Ken Titmus. I didn't pay a lot of attention to his chops because I mostly couldn't see him, but I don't ever recall thinking he was a IIIB.

I don't let tooth length or any other outward appearance influence what type I find someone to be. There are too many contradictions.
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Doug for the clarification and expert advice & information
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: