• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Finding The Right 3C Mouthpiece

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Curry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... winter doldrums setting in a little early this year:)

No matter whether or not the Curry 3 rim or 3. rim was used,
the same rim was used for the B and BC models.

From Denny- Irrespective of what Curry is currently doing throughout his line of trumpet mouthpieces, the BC (B rim on a C cup) pieces are based on the unique shape/contour of a Bach B rim (of several years ago) as compared to a Bach C rim (of several years ago). This is from the Curry Precision site, today →”The Bach B cup is more funnel shaped, and [the Bach B Mouthpiece]has a different rim.”

I should have inserted the bracketed, bold text years ago to avoid any confusion.

Sorry!

mc
ALETRUMPET

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good 80's Vincent Bach Corp. (with dot). Easy to play and beautiful sound, not like the modern Bach 3Cs which are too bright and harder to control.
JazzyJP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing a bunch of testing with some mouthpieces I narrowed down, the Blessing 3C without a doubt has the best sound, articulation, etc. It feels incredible in my Strad 37. The issue still stands that it’s quite large compared to all the other 3Cs. Doesn’t work for me in a longer session. Drains me. I need to find more specs on this piece. Feels very open and colorful.

Not sure if there’s a gap issue, but the Curry 3C isn’t enjoyable to play on the horn at all. Feels like there’s a massive lack of response. Doesn’t feel like it fits into the horn that well. Sound is still great, but the blessing 3C puts it to rest.

I ended up trying a Schilke 14B and Stork XM4.

Schilke 14B feels smaller than the 3C in diameter and there’s hardly any bite. I have fleshier lips and they sink and make it difficult to maintain a nice sound. A bit more bite on my 10 year old Bach 3C MT and way more bite on the modern Bach 3C.

XM4 must have been a mixup. Definitely not 3C size and far too shallow for my liking. Great looking mouthpiece, though!
JazzyJP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder, is there a way for me to take my mega tone to be shaved down? I feel comfortable with the mouthpiece but want to remove the weight. Any thoughts?
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JazzyJP wrote:
I wonder, is there a way for me to take my mega tone to be shaved down? I feel comfortable with the mouthpiece but want to remove the weight. Any thoughts?

Before you butcher your favorite megatone, I'd suggest sending it to someone like Jim New who can make a digital scan of the rim and cup. Then the scan file can be used with a CNC machine to make an exact copy using the standard-weight blank of your choice.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
JazzyJP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
JazzyJP wrote:

Before you butcher your favorite megatone, I'd suggest sending it to someone like Jim New who can make a digital scan of the rim and cup. Then the scan file can be used with a CNC machine to make an exact copy using the standard-weight blank of your choice.

Yeah that’s a great idea! I’d love to get a scan on it.

I purchased a 2022 Bach 3C Megatone with a #57 BB and it feels quite nice! The new MT feels almost identical to mine, with the slightest of slightly bigger diameters. Hardly different. The sound is a little thinner. Easier in the upper register, but if I wanted that I would just work for it.

Tried a Bach 3E today. Smaller diameter, sharper bite, thin sound. I think a Bach 3C (specifically since it’s not so that deep) is as deep as I can go at least with a rim contour like that. I’ll bottom out on anything shallower.

I’ve settled on a 2022 standard Bach 3C. The trumpet gods have spoken. I bought some #0000 steel wool and brushed down the shiny new Bach 3C. It’s still slightly bigger in diameter than the megatones, but the steel wool made it so much softer. I realized I did the steel wool so early in my career (at 15 years old) that maybe that was playing a factor. It indeed was. I don’t care for shiny new mouthpieces. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to do that to ones I won’t own.

Either way, I’m happy to stay on a Bach 3C with my new Bach horn. If decide to test mouthpieces again I’m just going to purchase 20 Bach 3Cs and see which one I like the best, haha.

Question: I have a flugel as well that I just never play. I’ve had no reason to for a long time. Is there a Bach Flugel mouthpiece with an identical rim to the 3C? God forbid I ask about any consistency in Bach or similar rims, but worth a shot. It’s part of the reason I wanted away from Bach. I can’t just order a deeper or shallower cup without everything else changing. Unless I go a custom route. I’m pretty happy and this 3C actually ended up being free. So it’s a win win. Use that money and get my flugel working back up!
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JazzyJP wrote:
Is there a Bach Flugel mouthpiece with an identical rim to the 3C?

Yes! The Bach mouthpiece manual shows an asterisk next to the 3C trumpet mouthpiece listing, and, per the manual:

"* Bach fluegelhorn mouthpieces are regularly stocked in those model numbers marked with an asterisk in the chart (all other standard Bach trumpet rim sizes are available on special order). They have identical rims, but deeper, fluegelhorn-style cups, a larger throat and backbore."

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
JazzyJP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
JazzyJP wrote:
Is there a Bach Flugel mouthpiece with an identical rim to the 3C?

Yes! The Bach mouthpiece manual shows an asterisk next to the 3C trumpet mouthpiece listing, and, per the manual:

"* Bach fluegelhorn mouthpieces are regularly stocked in those model numbers marked with an asterisk in the chart (all other standard Bach trumpet rim sizes are available on special order). They have identical rims, but deeper, fluegelhorn-style cups, a larger throat and backbore."

Ah that’s super exciting to hear! I will be ordering once for sure then. Thank you very much for your help!
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JazzyJP wrote:
Thank you very much for your help!

You are quite welcome.

annvill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought two Bach 3C mouthpieces for two students. Completely different from each other. One is smoky, the other much brighter, shrill on the high notes. Evidently in Bach there is still some problem of coherence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: