• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

setting the price, or - how to reach an offer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldlipguitarplayer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: setting the price, or - how to reach an offer Reply with quote

Story: I was looking on reverb at used trumpets/cornets. I came upon two or three I like. But - how do I know what the instrument is worth. And also, when making an offer, what is the general rule of discount. Unless the seller is determined to stay with the asking price, should the seeking/me go low and work up? Or; decide what the instrument is worth to me and go with that price.

With acoustic guitars the price goes up and down with the strength of the economy. If we go into a recession, the acoustics will hit the market.

Thanks
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paying more than what an instrument is worth to you wouldn’t be a wise course. You can’t tell whether or not your offer will get countered or rejected as some sellers have little knowledge of what they are selling. There is really no way to know except to make the offer.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Setting price Reply with quote

Hello all,
I first check ebay, completed and sold listings for pricing. That way I see what people are paying and what sellers are taking. Then you have to weigh that against what you are willing to afford.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at all sources for that model instrument and make note, not only of its average selling price, but condition and make adjustments for that.

Then I consider that dealers like Washington Music, Dillons etc. prices will be higher priced because of their overhead. On the other hand, most of these businesses have reasonable return policies which most individual sellers don't have. So some of it is spending extra money up front with a certain degree of security, or get a better financial deal and take your chances.

Regarding bargaining for a price go for it if that's what you want to do. I feel like it's an irritant to the seller, so don't. But YMMV

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Setting price Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello all,
I first check ebay, completed and sold listings for pricing. That way I see what people are paying and what sellers are taking. Then you have to weigh that against what you are willing to afford.

+1

This feature on ebay always tells the real story. A seller can ask anything - buyers determine current worth.
https://yourbrass.com/
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Setting price Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello all,

+1

This feature on ebay always tells the real story. A seller can ask anything - buyers determine current worth.

How do you find and use that function? Thanks.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Setting price Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

On any list of items generated in response to a search, there are check boxes on the left side of the screen representing different filters you can apply to the search. Two of these are "Completed" and "Sold". "Completed" shows items meeting the search criteria for which the auction is over (either sold or unsold), while "Sold" only shows ended items that actually found a buyer. Sometimes these particular filters aren't immediately visible on the left, but there will be a check box there called "More Filters" which will open a window with all the filters listed, including "Sold" and "Completed".

It should be noted that the history you can see only goes back a limited amount of time, not all the way back to the inception of eBay.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"

Last edited by Halflip on Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Setting price Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
. . which will open a widow with all the filters listed,

I once knew a widow who had no filters.

Jokes aside, thanks a lot, Halflip.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting price Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Halflip wrote:
. . which will open a widow with all the filters listed,

(ahem) Fixed it.

kehaulani wrote:
I once knew a widow who had no filters.

I wish I did.

kehaulani wrote:
Jokes aside, thanks a lot, Halflip.

You are quite welcome, kehaulani.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking the completed listings on ebay is relevant if it's a common model. If it's not, individuals can be like me, having their own reason to their price that isn't affected by the market. Reasons can be sentimental value, rarity in the seller's area, how well it plays, if the seller is getting tired of it laying around etcetera. When I sell on Reverb, sometimes I'm open to pretty low offers and sometimes I'm not.

I mean, you can't be burned just making an offer as long as you, yourself, think it's worth the money. On Reverb the seller can make a counter-offer too, so try and see!
invisiblehand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Setting price Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

On any list of items generated in response to a search, there are check boxes on the left side of the screen representing different filters you can apply to the search. Two of these are "Completed" and "Sold". "Completed" shows items meeting the search criteria for which the auction is over (either sold or unsold), while "Sold" only shows ended items that actually found a buyer. Sometimes these particular filters aren't immediately visible on the left, but there will be a check box there called "More Filters" which will open a window with all the filters listed, including "Sold" and "Completed".

It should be noted that the history you can see only goes back a limited amount of time, not all the way back to the inception of eBay.

This was a super helpful post. Thanks.
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that get's lost in the "make offer" (at least on e-may) is that's it's not intended to be general conversation. What' you're really doing is saying "If you accept my offer I WILL buy the item from you.

Now there's unfortunately, no gun to your head after your offer is accepted, but it's equivalent to bidding on an item and then refusing to pay. That's another reason to never accept an offer via e-mail, because when you accept and they don't pay, they won't even get hit with Non-Paying-Bidder strike.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Setting price Reply with quote

invisiblehand wrote:
Halflip wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

This was a super helpful post. Thanks.

You're welcome. I'm glad to be of help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: