• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Articulation in upper register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LyonLover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Articulation in upper register Reply with quote

Definitley figured out my endurance problem. Any time I rapidly increase my playing hours per day i get that issue for a bit. So I have so stay consistent with my practice schedule.

Anyway, I can slur up to a nice open high G (above high C). However I still have issues articulating above high C. Runs to high C and up the the Eb for example in the Haydn concerto, I could play it slurred great, but articulation sometimes causes airballs still. With scales up there its the same way. My articulation disrupts upper register playing. I've tried K modified tonging but the problem doesn't help much. Seems like a lot of people have the opposite problem as me where slurring is harder.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each time you tongue, there is an extra load on your embouchure. Therefore, you are like me. Slurring range is way different than tonguing range.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of like Richard III is saying, when you "airball" that means that vibration has stopped.

So the goal when tonguing is to keep the lips available to vibrate immediately. This means you cannot disrupt the "position" (the shape, the ingredients) necessary to produce that vibration.

This means you attack it from two fronts: 1. how easy can you make a sound (response of the lips to the air) in the upper register -- the better the response the clearer the articulation; and 2. how little can you disrupt the lips when articulating.

Chances are it is less an issue that can be cleared up by addressing the tongue (like you tried to do with k-modified) and more of the above. But a few people don't seal the system properly when tonguing sometimes.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Articulation in upper register Reply with quote

LyonLover wrote:
I still have issues articulating above high C. Runs to high C and up the the Eb for example in the Haydn concerto, I could play it slurred great, but articulation sometimes causes airballs still. With scales up there its the same way. My articulation disrupts upper register playing. I've tried K modified tonging but the problem doesn't help much. Seems like a lot of people have the opposite problem as me where slurring is harder.

Can you do it if you play the run slowly - like say in quarter or half notes?

If so start slow and build up the speed - use a metronome. Also make a point of driving the air as you go higher. Several things have to change - the specific tension in the lips, the tongue, the air. Your tongue level changes yet you still have to use the tip of the tongue to articulate - all of that has to change in sync so it's going to take some practice.

Work on playing a tongued F scale up to high F up and back down, an Eb scale up the high Eb and back down. If you can't go all the way up, go as high as you can and come back down multiple times. Then try to get one scale element higher. Also try playing multiple articulations on each scale element - F F F F G G G G A A A A Bb Bb Bb Bb etc.

When you've got that going the F to Eb run in the Haydn should be no problem. If you're having a problem with it, it's only going to get fixed with practice - training the involved mechanisms to do what you struggle with now.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air flow is stopped by the tongue, the lips stay in 'playing position'.
There shouldn't be deliberate 'lip motion' during tonguing.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Reinhardt called this phenomenon "multiple embouchures."

You're probably "shifting gears" to go from slurring to tonguing (and vice versa).

His remedy for this was to take any flexibility drill and play it tongued first and repeat it (without stopping to "shift gears") slurred. Most people find this uncomfortable at first but after awhile you'll start to tongue and slur on the same setting. If you add dynamic variations to this you'll derive even more benefit from this correctional procedure.

Incidentally, he would always have you start tonguing and slur (without stopping) on the repeat. This establishes what he called "the legs of the inner embouchure" which helps assure correct slurring technique.

Come on over to the Reinhardt Forum if you want to find out more about this.
TrumpetLebowski

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a slightly different take on this, maybe because I've experienced it myself.

Some players use tongue shaping to focus the oral cavity to the note being played. (Some refer to that as "air speed" but I don't use that terminology because that's not really what's going on). Some players rely more on the chops and/or air ("compression" but I don't like that label either) to create and focus the pitch. The most efficient players combine those two approaches into one. (And then there's pivot too, depending on other things).

When you articulate you're having to move the tongue away from its ideal focus position momentarily. And in that split second you have no support, so it doesn't work. You can focus and play those notes without articulation, but you can't play them with articulation. Once you become aware of that situation you can work on finding a more efficient tongue shape that allows a smaller motion to articulate so can better keep the focus. I have found that double and triple tonguing very lightly in the high range (all ranges, really) helps to learn what it takes to have a very small motion for articulating in the affected range. Dee-Dee-Gee Dee-Dee-Gee Dee-Dee-Gee for example, just barely moving your tongue in the smallest possible way. Then you can apply the same position to single tonguing. That may seem backwards but it works better than working on single tongue alone.

The exact same thing applies to middle and low range too... Learn how to keep focus in every range while articulating, so you're not overshooting or undershooting when you articulate.
kgsmith1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
... take any flexibility drill and play it tongued first and repeat it (without stopping to "shift gears") slurred. Most people find this uncomfortable at first but after awhile you'll start to tongue and slur on the same setting. If you add dynamic variations to this you'll derive even more benefit from this correctional procedure.

Alternating flexibilities tongued and slurred should help. There's a good section on this in Flexus, too, along with Caruso's "developed scale" so you could try that forum too.

Think of the three bars or so before the high Eb as a little Clarke study to dial everything in - tonguing and slurring but also resonant easy sound.

Also, at a certain level equipment choice can help make the technique easier. Don't buy an Eb trumpet to avoid learning how to tongue through the upper middle register, but if you had something like a grad school or festival audition in your future, your peers would probably be playing Eb and having an easier time with these passages.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
i agree with Bebopfoolin about "multiple embouchures".
Either your "up" embouchure is the right one and you must adapt or mid and low range from this one (for instance if you are a natural upstream player that has been taught to play like a downstream one), or there's some wrong adjustments you're doing at one point when ascending.

Then, you must practice very slowly tongued, slurred, double and triple tongued, at a mp or comfortable volume, Clarke exercices, licks etc, in the high register, going step by step.
It will take weeks, months, year to coordinate your whole embouchure / tonguing.
Forza !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: