• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

is this really a Conn 28A???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: is this really a Conn 28A??? Reply with quote

Saw a listing on Reverb for a Conn 28A

...but it doesn't look like what I expect a 28A to look like

Did they change the design at some point, or did the seller make a mistake?

https://reverb.com/item/45054020-conn-constellation-long-cornet
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a '60 37A (short model Connstellation).
An early one but already with 1st slide trigger and 3d slide stop screw.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - it is not a 28A. It is the 37A or 38/A

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/Conn37A-38A1966image.html

If you want a cornet that has similar resistance to a Conn 38B trumpet, then you want the 28A cornet. (.438 bore) If you want a cornet that feels more like the early Directors or the Conn 80A, then you want the Conn 38A. (.485 bore.)

I would like to have a 38A, but not at that price.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
No - it is not a 28A. It is the 37A or 38/A

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/Conn37A-38A1966image.html

If you want a cornet that has similar resistance to a Conn 38B trumpet, then you want the 28A cornet. (.438 bore) If you want a cornet that feels more like the early Directors or the Conn 80A, then you want the Conn 38A. (.485 bore.)

I would like to have a 38A, but not at that price.

The 38A is a great horn. I got mine for roughly half that a few years back, and in excellent condition, but it seems most that pass my gaze on the usual stores and auction sites are looking in the $750 to $900 range lately.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one of the Connstellation 38A's, and played another one for a few days - they're such powerful horns.

Here's a 38A that appears to be in much better condition and at a much nice price. I believe I've purchased 3 vintage Olds horns from this seller at Facebook's Marketplace and it's been a very good experience.

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/783168992838314/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 38A, 0.4844" extra large bore, but don't be put off by the bore size. I have owned several over the years and played lots of concerts.

The 37A has a yelow brass bell and no trigger but is otherwise the same.

The 38A was the workhorse, or maybe I should say WARHORSE of the big college and high school powerhouse bands in the late 60's and early 80's. Terrific section horns and built like tanks. But the lacquer on the " Electro D" finish always looks sad these days. The earliest 38A models were Coprion under the nickel, but later ones were brass jnderneath.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
Yes, 38A, 0.4844" extra large bore, but don't be put off by the bore size. I have owned several over the years and played lots of concerts.

The 37A has a yelow brass bell and no trigger but is otherwise the same.

The 38A was the workhorse, or maybe I should say WARHORSE of the big college and high school powerhouse bands in the late 60's and early 80's. Terrific section horns and built like tanks. But the lacquer on the " Electro D" finish always looks sad these days. The earliest 38A models were Coprion under the nickel, but later ones were brass jnderneath.

Perhaps I acquired a well-preserved model but the lacquer on my 38A is almost 100%. There are some tiny bits on the valve block but that's about it. The case smells to all hell, though It sits in the corner until some enterprising trumpeter finally cracks the code on de-funking old cases.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
I've had one of the Connstellation 38A's, and played another one for a few days - they're such powerful horns.

Here's a 38A that appears to be in much better condition and at a much nice price. I believe I've purchased 3 vintage Olds horns from this seller at Facebook's Marketplace and it's been a very good experience.

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/783168992838314/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment

Thanks for the tip!

I was actually just curious…but when I thought about it I realized this is just the kind of horn I’m looking for. I’m just a beginner @ brass and thought I would wait a while before getting a better instrument but this seems like just the thing for me.

Kinda ironic when I noticed that I had been watching your videos when I was googling Conn cornets

It’s been already shipped and I should get it next week
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerrr wrote:
JonathanM wrote:

Thanks for the tip!

I was actually just curious…but when I thought about it I realized this is just the kind of horn I’m looking for. I’m just a beginner @ brass and thought I would wait a while before getting a better instrument but this seems like just the thing for me.

Kinda ironic when I noticed that I had been watching your videos when I was googling Conn cornets

Roger, I just wish you were watching someone good for info and ideas. Brass is a delightful hobby. I've read a lot here at TH, watched many Trent Austin and the Horntrader vid's, and just felt like I'd try to share as much as possible.

Glad you've got a good horn on the way! Let us know your thoughts after you've got it. Connstellations are SUCH impressive horns. I've had 2 28A's recently, and they're very nice horns - but really lean toward the trumpet side of things, I think. They do have versatility though. The 38A though, wow, what tone they can put out. Cornets like that are so pretty with the Curry VC mouthpiece, which has to be one of my favored all time mouthpieces.

Good luck and enjoy - and you couldn't have bought from a nicer seller; his knowledge of horns is impressive.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just from the information he was providing it seems like he takes good care of his horns. I'm originally a sax player and never imagined I'd ever try to play cornet or trombone....but it's so fun....sounds great and it makes me develop my ear which has always been a weakness of mine

The mouthpieces I have are a generic "cornet" mouthpiece with no markings that was on my Besson 2-20 when I got it, a Bach 3C and a Wick 4B...enough to get me started
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Response to Subtropical and Subpar:
Yes, I, too have a very nice Connie 38A, and mine has a * after the serial number, apparently indicating a custom order, most likely with the Coprion bell, but we won't tell the others!

The best thing I have found for funky case disorder is to spray the inside thoroughly with Febreze, including below the horn bed, and put the open case in my old Bronco parked in the summer Texas sun for a few months. Lacking a derelict or seasonal vehicle maybe in the back of your car or a shed that gets hot, but I realize a lot of folks may not have such accommodations. Maybe a hair dryer on high temperature might work.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
Response to Subtropical and Subpar:
Yes, I, too have a very nice Connie 38A, and mine has a * after the serial number, apparently indicating a custom order, most likely with the Coprion bell, but we won't tell the others!

The best thing I have found for funky case disorder is to spray the inside thoroughly with Febreze, including below the horn bed, and put the open case in my old Bronco parked in the summer Texas sun for a few months. Lacking a derelict or seasonal vehicle maybe in the back of your car or a shed that gets hot, but I realize a lot of folks may not have such accommodations. Maybe a hair dryer on high temperature might work.

No * after my serial number, so I guess I don't have the full coprion bell; just the electro-D plating. Just another reason to look out for a 9A or 10A, I suppose!

I have done the Febreze and extended periods in the sun - I do live in the tropics (or subtropics; the line seems to move depending on which source I check) - and the case still smells like a thousand people died in it I keep my 38A in a double case with my Bach 180LR72.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Coprion Bells on Connstellation Cornets from C Derksen's Conn Loyalist site:

Quote:
Connstellation short model (through serial number 9xx,xxx; beware that there was a 37A Connstellation short model with brass bell)

If your Connie's serial number doesn't have a letter prefix, it is likely a Coprion bell, unless of course it has the yellow brass unplated 37A bell. After that period, it would be a special order to have a coprion bell. Interestingly, a V scratched following the serial number indicates a factory second. I once acquired a Connstellation 28 A long cornet with the V scratch and Coprion bell and leadpipe which were not nickel plated, and yes, it was clearly factory stamped "Connstellation".
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
Rogerrr wrote:
JonathanM wrote:

Thanks for the tip!

Roger, I just wish you were watching someone good for info and ideas. Brass is a delightful hobby. I've read a lot here at TH, watched many Trent Austin and the Horntrader vid's, and just felt like I'd try to share as much as possible.

Glad you've got a good horn on the way! Let us know your thoughts after you've got it. Connstellations are SUCH impressive horns. I've had 2 28A's recently, and they're very nice horns - but really lean toward the trumpet side of things, I think. They do have versatility though. The 38A though, wow, what tone they can put out. Cornets like that are so pretty with the Curry VC mouthpiece, which has to be one of my favored all time mouthpieces.

Good luck and enjoy - and you couldn't have bought from a nicer seller; his knowledge of horns is impressive.

The horn arrived today....1961 Connstellation 38A....plays great with Bach 3C and Wick 4B....I think I have the right range of bright&dark with those two mouthpieces for now

Much easier to play than my Besson 2-20

After I have fun with it for a couple days and show it to my teacher I'll run it by the repair shop to see what they think.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerrr wrote:
JonathanM wrote:
Rogerrr wrote:
JonathanM wrote:

Thanks for the tip!

The horn arrived today....1961 Connstellation 38A....plays great with Bach 3C and Wick 4B....I think I have the right range of bright&dark with those two mouthpieces for now

Much easier to play than my Besson 2-20

After I have fun with it for a couple days and show it to my teacher I'll run it by the repair shop to see what they think.

Just in case it is of any interest or value, I switch between four mouthpieces on my 38A and get remarkably different sound qualities from them. From shallowest to deepest, a Schilke 14a4X (cornet-shanked) picc trumpet mouthpiece, good for trad jazz), Bach 1C (a bit darker than the trumpet equivalent), a Monette B11 (like a 1B but with that extra Monette creamy thickness of tone), and a Yamaha 16F (very deep, very dark). I used a Yamaha David King for a bit, which is deeper still, but between it being at least as deep as a medium deep flugel mouthpiece and the 38A being a .485 bore horn, it was just a bit much of a workout to not be flat all the time. The 16F is much more manageable and nearly as dark in tone.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Yamaha 16F does not exist. There is a Yamaha 16F4 but that is a mouthpiece for flügelhorn. We are talking cornet so I suppose you mean the Yamaha 16E.
(these cornet mp”s don’t have the semi-flat 4 rim but the more rounded 3 rim).
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
A Yamaha 16F does not exist. There is a Yamaha 16F4 but that is a mouthpiece for flügelhorn. We are talking cornet so I suppose you mean the Yamaha 16E.
(these cornet mp”s don’t have the semi-flat 4 rim but the more rounded 3 rim).

You are quite right; it is a 16E. It was a long Thanksgiving week
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: