• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul 1502 sounds amazing!😀

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Kanstul 1502 sounds amazing!😀 Reply with quote

Guys, I just heard THE sound I've been looking for...a Kanstul 1502...on a YouTube video.

The guy wasn't a pro (I don't think)...but the sound was AMAZING!

My only question (as a comeback player) is: How does this horn play?

Are there problems with slotting, intonation, etc?

Thanks!

Ken

P.S. It's my understanding that Kanstul is no longer in business?

Last edited by Kennyg2019 on Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sadly Kanstul went out of business a few years back. It's a tough industry to be in, with many (most?) of the companies we cherish having gone under or been bought out at some point. Kanstul, Shires, Olds, Conn, virtually all the pieces of the Conn-Selmer empire (which itself is a subsidiary of Steinway Musical Instruments, which in turn is owned by the hedge fund Paulson & Co.).

Anyways Kanstul made great trumpets, at least judging by the most excellent 991 I have, based heavily on the Conn Connstellation. Other TH members have much more personal experience with the full gamut of Kanstuls, but I will note that their website is still active/archived so you can learn more about the 1502. It's rather remarkable; they made over a dozen quite distinct trumpets, along with several cornets and what a lot of people thought was the definitive flugelhorn. I'd love to get my hands on a 1500 someday.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my students has one and it's a rock solid horn with no playability issues. Sound wise it's got a relatively distinct character compared to more middle-of-the-road horns (I think it's more or less a copy of a Calicchio design) but when all's said and done it's only a trumpet! I honestly don't think it's fair to the player to give the horn credit for the impression their sound made on you. (There's also a whole load of potential discussion about the ways that the recording itself influences our perception of a player we've never heard live, especially if we've only got one recording to go on...)

Kanstul have closed down sadly. BAC bought some assets from both Kanstul and the estate of John Duda (who made the later Callichios) so if anyone could build something comparable to a new 1502 I guess it would be them.

Mike
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtropical and Subpar wrote:
It's rather remarkable; they made over a dozen quite distinct trumpets, along with several cornets and what a lot of people thought was the definitive flugelhorn. I'd love to get my hands on a 1500 someday.

Kanstul also provided what we called in the computer business contract manufacturing. They produced horns specified by other companies that were then sold under that company’s name.

While Flip enhanced the horns after receiving them from Kanstul before selling, Kanstul made the to Flip’s spec.

While Zachary would never confirm, I am convinced that Kanstul made the Zeus trumpets also. At one point Zachary had pictures of “his” manufacturers and some on here identified some of the workers being Kanstul employees.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While getting a tour at the Kanstul factory many years ago, I walked by a table with several trumpets sitting on it all in a row, and my tour guide (I forget her name) mentioned that these were Zeus trumpets waiting to be sent out.

That's confirmation enough for me.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, the girl at Kanstul was most certainly Laura who ran the finalizing table and shipping. She was so good at her job! I really miss that staff. They were my friends.

The 1502 was a good playing trumpet, like all of Kanstul's instruments. It was designed to emulate the Callicchio 1S2 or 1S7, I don't remember which was which between the 1501 and 1502. It just played like a Kanstul trumpet, so it had a more free feeling to it.

Most of the Zeus horns were made by Kanstul, but I don''t think all of their models were.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I placed an ad for a 1502 in the marketplace.

Fingers crossed 🤞🏻
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Davis makes some Calicchio copies: 1S bell with choice of 2,3, or 7 leadpipe. You can get them from Reeves or Washington Music Center.

https://trumpetmouthpiece.com/collections/instruments/products/charley-davis-trumpet

Last edited by Ed Kennedy on Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
Charlie Davis makes some Calicchio copies: 1S bell with choice of 2,3, or 7 leadpipe. You can get them from Reeves or Washington Music Center.

Thanks. Will definitely keep it in mind if I can't find a Kanstul.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
The 1502 was a good playing trumpet, like all of Kanstul's instruments. It was designed to emulate the Callicchio 1S2 or 1S7, I don't remember which was which between the 1501 and 1502.

According to the Kanstul website (still accessible for historical purposes), the 1502 had a #2 mouthpipe and a #1S bell, so they must be talking about the Calicchio 1S2. (Within the features list for the 1502, they mention that it could be had with a #7 mouthpipe, in which case they would designate it as a 1501.)

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
stevericks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kanstul 1502 and it is a great horn. Years back I got into collecting and own or have owned the 1500, 1502, 1503, 1537, 991, Kanstul Chicago (probably the 1000) 1510 and flugel 1525. The 1502 is my “go to” horn when I’m playing a gig where the music is challenging to my level of playing or endurance is an issue. It is an easy playing horn that you don’t have to work to control (not demanding). By work to control I go back to my Olds brand days. Have a Super and a Recording. Recording is more difficult to control and demanding of the player.. I have read several articles that say the 1502 “grabs the mic” in recording studios so apparently there is something about it that makes it a top horn for recording sessions.
Gcsnyde007

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Zeus Olympus Trumpets - Opinions? Reply with quote

Any thoughts about these horns? I have one that I’m trying to sell.
stevericks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Zeus Olympus Trumpets - Opinions? Reply with quote

Gcsnyde007 wrote:

I would think the horn would be a quick sale% see my other post in this discussion about it. It is a wonderful horn. I have sold off 5-6 pro horns. This is the one I am keeping. The only problem you may run into is Kanstul is not well known - at least here in the South. If you have a specific question about the horn, I’ll be glad to try and answer it.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Zeus Olympus Trumpets - Opinions? Reply with quote

stevericks wrote:
Gcsnyde007 wrote:

I would think the horn would be a quick sale% see my other post in this discussion about it. It is a wonderful horn. I have sold off 5-6 pro horns. This is the one I am keeping. The only problem you may run into is Kanstul is not well known - at least here in the South. If you have a specific question about the horn, I’ll be glad to try and answer it.

stevericks, I think Gcsnyde007 is asking about Zeus Olympus trumpets, not the Kanstul 1502 (look at the Post subject he inserted).

Gcsnyde007, although a few posters here refer to the Zeus Olympus in passing as an example of Kanstul's contract manufacturing business, this thread is focused on the Kanstul 1502; it would make more sense for you to start an entirely new thread if you want to discuss the Zeus Olympus. (Actually, you might first want to try searching the Forum for previous threads about the Zeus Olympus.)

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: