• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

valve 3 expels air ... ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abrogard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: valve 3 expels air ... ? Reply with quote

I am a complete newcomer to the trumpet.

Surprised to find yesterday, quite accidentally, that the number 3 valve expresses air from the bottom when pushed down. The other two do not seem to do that.

Why's that?
I was just idly pushing the valves down as the thing stood on its valve bottoms on the desk before me. Every time I pushed 3 I heard a sound.

Eventually traced it to that. They all have holes so I suppose they all can express some air - they are air holes? But why should 3 be the only one that expresses detectable amounts?

Last edited by abrogard on Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the third valve is vented, they made a whole in it to let it 'breath' when using the third slide.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Thein has a 3rd valve that is vented. There is no "pop" of any kind. It doesn't affect the playability of the instrument because the area where the valve is vented is not in the "sound path."

Otherwise, you may have a leaky valve. Heavier valve oil can often help with that.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both of the responses are on the wrong track. The OP states that the third is the only one that pushes out air. If it were vented wouldn’t the pressure required cause one to “hear a sound” be equalized in the third valve crook?
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like your 3rd valve piston (the main moving part of the valve) has a blocked bottom hole. (The bottom holes are a different thing to the 'vent holes' already mentioned which are only found on certain valves of certain instruments.) Usually, the displaced air from pressing the valve can escape upwards through the piston as well as downwards through the big hole in the bottom cap. When the hole in the bottom of the piston is blocked, the valve will still work fine but the escaping air will be more noticeable.

Mike
abrogard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the interest. I missed most of it: was away.

Seems I had it wrong. I thought the noise was from the air escaping through the bottom hole but on closer investigation it is not. The sounds is still there. But it is the air escaping upwards past the piston.

That would be as Mike Prestage says I guess. And when I put it to the test I find if I block the bottom hole on 3 then yes, the sound is very distinct.

It was happening as it stood on my desk because, of course, standing on the valve bottoms the third valve hole was blocked.

Blocking one and two doesn't seem to matter. I suppose it is happening but it is undetectable?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: